Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Cubemaps/Skyboxes
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Cubemaps/Skyboxes

zeravia:
Starry sky (with moon and a bit of atmospheric effects)
(temporarily removed)
I don't have any screenshots since I made it in Spacescape and ATI CubeMapGen. I'll see about taking one in-game with it.
Wow, on seeing that in-game it's very bad looking. I'm trying to fix it to be higher-resolution since right now it's terrible. Tongue

Removed download link for the time being.
Got it.
Spoiler below!
[Image: qx5kjm.png]
http://www.mediafire.com/?ztosjxs7ls0c7z8
It's a big one since it's high-res, but it looks a lot nicer than the low-res version I uploaded before.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2011, 05:01 AM by Phoroneus.)
08-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Great work! The starry sky interests me a lot too. Right now I have one but it doesn't look that good:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unbirth-envy-t...1#imagebox
08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

Thank you for doing the sunset for me Phoroneus, I have only one problem with it. It way too overexposed near the sun. I wouldn't mind if it was only a small area, but it's half of the skybox!

I've tried opening it with Gimp and changing some of the saturation and hue values, but to no Avail...

Is this some kind of feature built into HPL? I was expecting to 'make' the sun with billboards, but it seems to create the glare effect automatically, which is annoying in my case, because of the size of the sun. I'll post a couple of pics to show you what I mean, can anyone help?

How it should look:
Spoiler below!

.jpg   correct.jpg (Size: 42.3 KB / Downloads: 322)

How it actually looks
Spoiler below!

.jpg   Amnesia 2011-08-25 20-43-58-71.jpg (Size: 41.75 KB / Downloads: 309)

08-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12

(08-25-2011, 08:45 PM)DRedshot Wrote: Thank you for doing the sunset for me Phoroneus, I have only one problem with it. It way too overexposed near the sun. I wouldn't mind if it was only a small area, but it's half of the skybox!

I've tried opening it with Gimp and changing some of the saturation and hue values, but to no Avail...

Is this some kind of feature built into HPL? I was expecting to 'make' the sun with billboards, but it seems to create the glare effect automatically, which is annoying in my case, because of the size of the sun. I'll post a couple of pics to show you what I mean, can anyone help?

How it should look:
Spoiler below!

How it actually looks
Spoiler below!

I'm not sure why that is. Sorry I've been so long in replying, I was right in the path of Irene and haven't had power since Saturday (no major damage otherwise). I'm on a university terminal right now, so can't work on the skybox just yet. I'm also moving about 100 miles so my computer is packed up, it should be functional by Friday and I'll look into dimming down the sun for you. It'll take more than some brightness settings to get it to look normal, I expect.

With luck, I should have it fixed up by Saturday morning (assuming no problems with the move).

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
08-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

Thanks for the offer, but I've found a much nicer skybox now. I decided to learn how to create cubemaps myself, using Your Computer's Tutorial, which turned out to be not so difficult. and I found another sunset with a much smaller and dimmer sun. Thank you for helping me so far though, it's much appreciated!

08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Find
zeravia Offline

Threads: 16

(08-25-2011, 03:06 AM)Phoroneus Wrote:
(08-24-2011, 09:40 PM)DRedshot Wrote: Edit: i just reread through your post, and it seems you use Gimp, like me... So Ignore my earlier request - I thought you were using photoshop, and was creating CubeMaps Automatically. Smile
Instead would it be possible for you to just send me a high resolution copy of this cubemap?:

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id...6to2bbu0m1

That way I can make the High Res CubeMap myself, and it will save you some effort! I'll then reupload the finished CubeMap here, so others can use it if they wish!

I reckon the large (or Huge) size would look amazing, and it would be great if you could upload one of these for me. I would download the medium size myself, but it looks a bit too fuzzy in my opinion.

Thanks a lot! Smile

I'll get that made up for you, no problem. Smile The top resolution I can get from cgtextures is x683 but I can blow it up to 1024x1024 and touch it up manually to be cleaner. It'll be blown up immensely for skybox use anyway.

I'm still looking around for a good starry sky cubemap for zeravia. I might have to just grab a clear starry sky panoramic and fiddle with it until it's cubemappable.

@zeravia: Do you want a moon in the picture, or just stars? If worse comes to worst I can always draw one manually, but it might not look 100% realistic (I'll do my best though).
Sunset cubemap:
Spoiler below!
[Image: 33dfjh4.jpg]
http://www.mediafire.com/?c5dc34w3vd4d356

you should probably do both. just in case someone else needs a star map too... ^____^

Diary of a madman -Onhold

New - [Image: at_1374739.png]
08-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

I recommend using a script i made for the GIMP. It does most of the work for you. You'd be making cube maps in 15 seconds or less. Tongue

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Website Find