Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Moved to Showcase - Teamnesia Marathon
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
Moved to Showcase - Teamnesia Marathon

!! If you have further comments please post them in the Showcase forum thread

See what I did there? I'm currently working on a new project, but this is a thread proposing (this is all just brainstorming right now, I certainly haven't done any work on it) a radical new story...a series of maps which are provided by the entire FG forums community.

This would, if pulled off, be a series of maps which contain the very best and shiniest work made by your very own peers linked together to give a unique and ever-changing experience. Each person would contribute a single map in which they write their own puzzles out, design the level, etc. The maps will have a single goal: to get to the next one!

Now, what about the lang files and such? Well, that's where my part of it all comes in. You create the map and the lang file, and everything. But I format the lang file and link it to the chain and make sure it all works, etc. Requires some additional work on my part, but at the end it'll be a marathon of maps from your friends Smile

Of course there would be some standards to adhere to...no maps with a kajillion monsters, and no maps with excessive keys and please, no crowbars...we've seen it already Smile

Other than that, create WHATEVER you want, I say! Outdoors, in doors, futuristic, 1900s dungeon, castle, cave. Just make it an enjoyable experience.

Notes about the maps you would contribute:
- Remove all all used items from player inventory upon leaving the map via script
- Do not script in or place any oil/tinderboxes. I will do that.
- Don't make it a monster-fest.
- Don't make it a key-fest.
- Make a theme! Outdoors, Sneaking-Past-Monsters, Killing monsters, platforming, Timed run, Upside-down world, Ant POV, whatever comes to mind!

What I would do:
- Stitch together the maps and provide the download file
- Handle oil/tinderboxes. Basically you'll get 99 of each. The story is, after all, about admiring your peers' work, not hearing that grinding-of-teeth sound the whole time.
- Give credit to you upon exiting/entering the map

PROS:
Cool idea (in my opinion)
Easy to contribute and get your work seen

CONS:
Custom assets may become a hassle
Seaming together the maps can be complicated

What are your guys' thoughts? And do you have any pros or cons to add?

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2011, 06:17 AM by palistov.)
08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Teamnesia Marathon

Well I just got the level editor a few days ago and am just getting started with it, but give me a few weeks and i'll be able to make a quality map for this.

Posting Freak
08-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Website Find
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12

You may want to add in the restriction that no custom content is allowed. While that will put a bit of a crimp on people's creativity, it will also ensure that the maps are all functional and that people don't need dozens of custom textures, models, et cetera to make the map run. Exceptions can be made as needed (e.g. allow custom cubemaps for outdoor scenes or the like).

That's just my opinion, of course. I'd be glad to participate, either way.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
08-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

I actually like this idea very much!
Giving everyone (nearly) full freedom what to do and not giving too much direction could make it extremely funny or just awesome.
Could also be a very good way to try out new things... Count me in!

08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

Hmm... I'm going to see how this thread turns out for maybe a week and then I might make a map if someone else makes the first starter up one. Tongue

Not to create a problem, but I could see this to become some big long chain of maps by different people, but all having items from previous maps that gets hauled could clog it up. You could either change the requirements where you can't have any extra items when you complete the map and/or have you remove all the extra items manually.

Good luck to all. Smile

08-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19

I agree with Kyle that all items should be used within each map. I like this idea! If I come up with a unique idea I'll contribute a map.

Atlantia - An Amnesia: The Dark Descent Full Conversion Mod
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12

Agreed with Kyle on this one. Manually remove all items on map change, IMO.

Also giving a lantern and 99 tinderboxes seems to kinda defeat the purpose, doesn't it? Maps are supposed to be dark (usually), if people can just light every lamp they see, the creator's atmosphere is gone. That's part of the fun: rationing tinderboxes for when you really need them. Removing oil, lantern, and tinderboxes takes away a great deal of freedom. If we want an area to be dark, we'll basically have to leave out lightable objects altogether, which seems a bit silly - this goes double for maps that emphasize decision-making, like conservation of tinderboxes and lantern oil.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
08-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

also, i'd suggest someone is nominated to make the first map, (maybe you palistov) because someone will need to place a lantern, but we dont want dozens of them showing up throughout the story! Also it might require a bit more communication, but if someone made a hub map you could easily link multiple maps together, giving the player a LOT of freedom.

08-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Yeah good call on the items Kyle.

And DRedshot I'll probably just script in the lantern on the very first map. Hub maps would be interesting but then it would become a huuuge maze and possibly the player might become lost.

Phoroneus, that's a good point, but that requires a lot of playtesting through each map to give the player enough of each resource. Perhaps I could leave the tinderboxes and oils up to the creator and then do run-throughs on my part to see how it feels. Because yeah this would be about giving the author lots of creative freedom, not about making the player scrounge for resources just so they can proceed. But then again, it IS Amnesia, so being scared is part of it Smile

And as for the first map, whoever wants to step up first and contribute a map will be the first one Smile I'm drawing up a layout or two and brainstorming ideas, but nothing more. Also each map should have a title which would be displayed on entry. Should keep things interesting and unique too Smile

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM by palistov.)
08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

I'd love to help out with this. Perhaps you should set up a table in the front post for deciding key events. E.g: "before lantern" "before hammer & chisel" "before chemistry pot" - only do it with few key general purpose items maybe, but it would help decide where people could pick stuff up.

If we reset stuff like tinderboxes to a small amount (e.g: 5) at the start of each map, and give a dreg of oil (l4d style safe room approach to map transitions perhaps?) then the map creator can handle the rest?
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2011, 08:21 PM by Apjjm.)
08-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Find