Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror

I believe that one of the major aspects of single vs. multiplayer games in general is that single-player games can be structured after a very linear flow with controlled scenes. Multiplayer is often more of a "free-roam"; just have a look at Left for dead or as you mentioned - Alien versus predator.

Amnesia becomes scary because the single-player setup allows the developers to slowly crank up the fear in a very controlled environment. I'm guessing people who wants "Amnesia multiplayer support" imagine a "single-player experience" in a multiplayer environment, whereas the multiplayer conversion actually inflicts restraints on the possibilities to tell a good story and continuity of the gameplay experience.

I'm not saying multiplayer-horror is a bad thing, it's just that multiplayer games has to be set up to allow replayability and "free-roam" possibilities. It's more about "random encounters" or sudden surprises - because multiplayer cannot be controlled in the same way as single-player.

If you disagree with what I'm saying I'm open for discussion :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror - by Acies - 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror - by Ghieri - 01-29-2013, 01:27 AM
RE: Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror - by Apjjm - 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM
RE: Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror - by Zaffre - 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
RE: Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror - by Ghieri - 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
RE: Hypothetical - Multiplayer Horror - by Apjjm - 02-01-2013, 02:04 AM