Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!

(09-02-2013, 09:07 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: I think you misunderstood me.

To sum up what I said:

Games that are either about the story or atmosphere usually are shorter because they are focused on those two things. You can't keep a person interested for 100 hours in a story. It's bloated and clunky. A main quest in an rpg is usually under 60 hours (without taking into consideration player skill, wandering, farming). I can't think of a single game or novel that continued the story for over 100 hours of playtime/readtime. Like I said. RPG games last a lot because they revolve around the gameplay and then the story.

I understand you, but it's not correct. There are RPGs where story and atmosphere comes first and interested me along the complete game. Story telling is just slower and more cryptic to increase impact when it's time. Amnesia is going the same way, it begins very slow and you doesn't even know where you are and why. And as deeper you walk into the castle as more you will get confronted with the story. RPGs I know are doing the same.

(09-02-2013, 09:07 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: You said: "A good horror game should be longer than 10 hours to get a long experience as possible. They could add more/trickier puzzles to let you take more time. Without enhancing the story or environments!"

Seems to me that you would like them to needlessly stretch the game so it's longer and your perception of length is satisfied.

Is the first Amnesia stretched? Is Silent Hill stretched? No. Is even Gothic (as a RPG) stretched? No.
You see it's possible to make games as much longer than 10 hours where nothing is stretched.

To tell a story doesn't mean to throw letters of texts on you to read, where all core content is told in under two hours. When you tell a story right, you have to choose when you tell which part and how. Not by note reading or cutscenes! Story should turn out by advance.

(09-02-2013, 09:07 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: The length for A:AMFP sounds good for the genre. It IS a horror game that's focused on atmosphere. Why should they make it 20 hours long when at that time they would have exhausted all their scares and atmosphere and then it'd turn into a walking simulator?

Again. Silent Hill is scary for the complete game, and it focus on atmosphere for the complete game. As more locations there are, as more it scares you instead to be a walking simulator. It's just an example that games where story and atmosphere comes first not automatically must be short.

I can mention an adventure which is about 70 hours long and never lose interest. This game is "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" and it's about story with grandious atmosphere! The impact won't even lost when solving puzzles - in contrary!

(09-02-2013, 11:13 PM)Stayler Wrote: This is extremely depressing. Have have been waiting for years for this game just to hear this. Well this is the scariest thing for sure. Yes i know it's about quality and not quantity. But 5 hours is nothing. Before i know it the game will end before i even have an attachment to the world. God i'm without words... I would cancel my pre-order but it's an Amnesia game and if this one goes well we may get a better one. And hey i'm not saying the game will be bad, i bet it will be very good. But 5 hours is just terrifying.

Correct.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM by Googolplex.)
09-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs! - by Red - 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs! - by Googolplex - 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM