Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!

@ Goog: What rpgs are those?

I can't think of a single rpg where gameplay isn't first.

Final Fantasy is story focused and they know to make it interesting without it being drawn out. Plus it's FF, so they focus a LOT on the combat system and leveling mechanics, ie gameplay.

And Amnesia, and all Frictional games so far, is HEAVILY inspired by Lovecraft's works, which were often SHORT stories. I can only think of two Lovecraft novelettes and a handful of longer than usual short stories. So it makes sense that their horror games aren't long. Also makes sense because horror games need to be short because if the horror sticks around for far too long then it turns boring.

Yes, I know. You can play many games upwards of 100 hours. I do that too. But that's because of GAMEPLAY. Not because the story lasts for 100 hours. Games that are specifically interested in giving the player a story (not rpgs) are usually shorter than rpgs BECAUSE they are focused on a story. All the TES games have a lot of lore and have long quest chains but their focus is NOT the story, it's the gameplay. When playing, say Morrowind, you receive a bit of story content and then are thrown into the world to experience the world through exploration (gameplay).

And you're saying you want them to add puzzles they didn't bother designing in the first place just so the game is longer...that's called stretching the game for no reason. First Amnesia game was 2 hours too long. That fetch quest near the end made me face desk. Hard. They made A:AMFP 4 to 6 hours long because they think that's the best thing they could do for the experience. Again, horror games shouldn't be long. So they wittingly made it that long so the experience is optimal...why do you want it longer? Do you not trust TCR and FG? And besides, we're missing a massive point here...the game hasn't released yet! You can't judge something that you haven't experienced yet. So relax.

And usually when games capture your interest is BECAUSE of the gameplay. You're missing that point. You said :"No, but a game with 100 hours of interesting story."

Having a game with 100 HOURS of story content is the definition of bloated. 100 hours of GAMEPLAY is another thing. It's a distinction you're having issues with.

Now a quote from The Man Himself:

“Atmosphere, not action, is the great desideratum of weird fiction. Indeed, all that a wonder story can ever be is a vivid picture of a certain type of human mood. The moment it tries to be anything else it becomes cheap, puerile, and unconvincing. Prime emphasis should be given to subtle suggestion - imperceptible hints and touches of selective associative detail which express shadings of mood and build up a vague illusion of the strange reality of the unreal. Avoid bald catalogues of incredible happenings which can have no substance or meaning apart from a sustaining cloud of colour and symbolism.”

- Lovecraft

Now...do you want more unneeded action (puzzles) to disturb what TRC made?
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 10:54 PM by Cuyir.)
09-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs! - by Red - 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs! - by Cuyir - 09-03-2013, 10:27 PM