Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slenderman Monster
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Slenderman Monster

Oh, I'm sorry, I got it wrong too then :/ I assumed you knew the mesh had no joints, so I interpreted your post accordingly... it was not my intention to further add to the confusion. Guess that'll teach me to keep my mouth shut if I'm not sure, eh? Wink
08-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Find
candlejack131 Offline

Threads: 17

(08-22-2012, 05:04 PM)Statyk Wrote: Okay... I'm going to make a simple list I need you to follow.

1) I did NOT at any point tell you to use another monster's animations. That is quite the opposite. I assumed you had already made a walk animation for Slenderman, seeing as he was following the player. But then you give us new info about how he is not even rigged at all. You can not turn a static_object into a monster correctly without having a skeleton in place. You need a rig.

2) (The rest of this list requires Autodesk Maya 2011 with the OpenCollada plugin. And with the power of Google, get the plugin here: http://opencollada.org/download.html ) If you want Slender to remain completely still like in the Slenderman games already made, you can make this easy on yourself and take the lazy way out by simply placing a single bone in his waist. There is your rig for Slender.

3) Once you have the single bone in place, (I am assuming and hoping you are using Maya for this) bring the dropdown arrow on the top-left to "Animation". Then pick the bone, hold shift and pick Slender. Then go up to the top and pick "Skin > Smooth Bind". Now the bone is attached to Slender.

4) Go down to the keyframe track under the modeling windows. It should have ticks going 1-48 or some numbers like that. pick the bone, pick frame 1, and press S then go to File > Export All and save Slender in the same place where it's texture is located. Open it in ModelView and see if it loads. All should go well.

5) Copy the .dae of Slender and paste it in the same spot. It should make a copy. Rename it: "slender_animation" and change the file extension to: ".dae_anim". It will say it might make the file unstable, but hit okay. It will be fine.

6) Go to the .ent file you have and go to "Edit > Animations". For each animation in there, change the .dae_anim file to the "slender_animation.dae_anim". Save, and he should work fine now.

This is all I'm giving for you as Slender just seems to be getting old and recycled too much lately to be scary anymore. I don't care if you continue, but if this list of "to do" doesn't work for you, perhaps you're stepping into something you're not ready for yet. I didn't even get into the harder stuff because we're taking shortcuts here... Good luck

And please stop bumping. Use common sense when the game does something wrong. For example. He follows you, then when he's within ATTACK DISTANCE and FREEZES. What do you think is the problem?... Obviously something is wrong when he ATTACKS. And you did not have an ATTACK ANIMATION, so what would fix this situation?...

Common sense tells you he needs an attack animation.
Well i just downloaded Autodesk maya for the 30 day free trial which should be enough time for me to complete this. However instead of taking the easy way out how would i create a full skeleton for the model and create the appropriate animations for it. for example the flinch animation attack launch attack door break run walk notice and then idle of course. how would i create these and make them work correctly with the model as a normal monsters would

Now after i tried to download the OpenCollada plugin it tells me i require maya 2008,2009,2010,2011 It says I'm using version 2013 but i already verified my free trial how can i change it to an older version?
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012, 10:57 PM by candlejack131.)
08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

You can register as a student for a free license. you can have Maya as long as necessary, the only drawback is that it is illegal to sell the models you make. This is fine when it comes to modding.

So register as a student and when you go to download, there will be a droparrow of what version you would like to download. Download 2011 and pick either 32/64 bit, depending on your system specs.

As for rigging, there is a lot of experience to come to doing so that I cannot say here or I would take up too much space and time. You can find some good rigging tutorials on youtube. (That's where I learned the rigging process, mixed with experimenting with functions)
08-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: However instead of taking
the easy way out how would i create a full skeleton for the model and create the appropriate animations for it. for example the flinch animation attack launch attack door break run walk notice and then idle of course. how would i create these and make them work correctly with the model as a normal monsters would
Oh that's easy, really. You just do exactly what Statyk wrote in his nice little tutorial, but instead of creating only one joint, repeat Step 2 about 20-40 times until you have all the joints you need.
Make sure they're in a proper hierarchy, the pelvis should be the parent of the spine, the spine the parent of the neck and so on.... (To parent an object under another one, select the "child" first, then SHIFT-select the parent and hit P. Alternatively you can drag the child with MMB onto the parent in the Outliner where all scene Objects are listed.)

You only need to create one arm and one leg, because you can mirror your limbs by clicking on Skeleton>Mirror joint with the shoulder joint or hip joint selected. Make sure you click on the small square to the right of the function, it will open a useful options window so you can check if you're mirroring in the right direction.

Then after you've smooth binded your mesh the way statyk explained, you select all joints and hit S on different frames in the timeline (for example frame 1, 5, 10, 15 and 20). Now you can go to each of the keyframes you just created and change the pose of the character so that an animation is formed.

That's the basics of it, pretty much. But you probably won't be able to reach much quality in your animations using such a basic setup, so I strongly suggest you go get yourself a ton of internet tutorials and start reading up on some of the following topics (In this order more or less, going from easy to more complex):
Skinning and Weight painting, Joint Orientation, FK and IK systems and when to use what, The Graph Editor, Constraints and Basic Control Rigs, proper use of Null Groups, Driven Keys, Custom Attributes and complex control setups with Hypershade Editor via Utility Nodes.

The last three are only necessary if you're really interested in all that rigging-animation-stuff and aim to do more complex stuff than a simple humanoid figure in the future, but I included them for the sake of completeness. Wink Keep in mind, this is still only a small fraction of what there is to learn about animating in Maya, there's a lot of stuff I don't know anything about (especially all that film stuff, simulations and whatnot). But it should be enough to make solid rigs and animations for games.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Find
candlejack131 Offline

The model viewer crashes when i load the model after following statyks tutorial however i think it may be important but not sure when i export it i get a warning message saying (Warning: Null not supported by COLLADA Node Tour_chemise will lose its geometric information the node transforms will be save) does this have anything to do with why it crashes?
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM by candlejack131.)
08-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Null objects are probably group nodes in Maya. Open your outliner (window>outliner). You should see a hierarchy of your objects in the scene. Your mesh should not be parented under anything else, if it is parented under a thing with the symbol of a red arrow on top of a white rectangle (sorry can't make screenshots right now), select the mesh and hit SHIFT + P to unparent it. Delete the now empty group. Actually there should not be anything in your scene, except for your mesh, the single joint, the four viewport cameras and two default sets that are always there (default light set and default object set. I don't know if they can even be deleted...)

Another thing you can try is delete Mayas history. This will clean up the scene and often helps with all kinds of problems. Go to Edit > Delete All by Type > Non-Deformer History to do that. (Make sure you chose non-deformer, otherwise your skinning will be deleted as well!)

Finally, a thing I found simply by copypastaing your sentence into google (minus the name of the object of course), it seems like the collada exporter has a problem with meshes that are too small. In this case, scaling up the mesh can help with the problem you're having. I don't know however if there's a way to scale it back down in the model editor.
Edit: Oh god I almost forgot - of course you need to scale the mesh before you bind it to the joint or detach it first! otherwise the scene will probably explode or something Wink
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Find
candlejack131 Offline

(08-24-2012, 11:42 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Null objects are probably group nodes in Maya. Open your outliner (window>outliner). You should see a hierarchy of your objects in the scene. Your mesh should not be parented under anything else, if it is parented under a thing with the symbol of a red arrow on top of a white rectangle (sorry can't make screenshots right now), select the mesh and hit SHIFT + P to unparent it. Delete the now empty group. Actually there should not be anything in your scene, except for your mesh, the single joint, the four viewport cameras and two default sets that are always there (default light set and default object set. I don't know if they can even be deleted...)

Another thing you can try is delete Mayas history. This will clean up the scene and often helps with all kinds of problems. Go to Edit > Delete All by Type > Non-Deformer History to do that. (Make sure you chose non-deformer, otherwise your skinning will be deleted as well!)

Finally, a thing I found simply by copypastaing your sentence into google (minus the name of the object of course), it seems like the collada exporter has a problem with meshes that are too small. In this case, scaling up the mesh can help with the problem you're having. I don't know however if there's a way to scale it back down in the model editor.
Edit: Oh god I almost forgot - of course you need to scale the mesh before you bind it to the joint or detach it first! otherwise the scene will probably explode or something Wink
when i go to my mesh in windows>outliner my image for the mesh is just a white rectangle no red arrow and when i shift p it i get a warning in the bottom right hand corner saying warning veste is already the parent of the child i actually think that i messed up when i had to go to keyframe 1 for i had a number ranging from 1 to 24 under my model viewer and next to that is 1 to 48 however that is a text entry not a button so were do i go to correctly do this
08-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: when i go to my mesh in windows>outliner my image for the mesh is just a white rectangle no red arrow and when i shift p it i get a warning in the bottom right hand corner saying warning veste is already
the parent of the child
You sure the warning doesn't read "veste is already a child of the parent world" or something similar? because that's the only warning that would make sense, it tells you that there's nothing you can unparent the object from. Which would be the case if it wasn't in a group. Which is how it should be, so everything is perfectly fine. (I told you, you only need to hit shift+p if it is parented under the symbol I described...Wink )

Quote: i actually think that i messed up when i had to go to keyframe 1 for i had a number ranging from 1 to 24 under my model viewer and next to thatis 1 to 48 however that is a text entry not a button so were do i go to
correctly do this
The inner numbers (1-24) tell you the lenghth of the timeline you're working with. The outer numbers (1-48) tell you the whole length of the animation. They are text entries because you can type numbers in there to change the length of the animation. To go to keyframe 1 click on the timeline itself, not the text entry thingies. Then you can hit S to set a keyframe for the object you have selected. This should cause a red marking to appear on the timeline.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012, 12:30 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Find
candlejack131 Offline

I really have no idea what im doing wrong i followed his tutorial exactly and it still crashes when i load the model
08-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Last thing I can think of is that you have too many joint influences per vertex. Shouldn't be a problem if you only have one joint but who knows. When smooth binding click on the options box to the right of the name and make sure max. influences is set to 1.

If that doesn't fix it I'm afraid I can't help you any further. Either your file is broken or the export plugin or your model viewer. Only thing you can do is search for the problem systematically, for example by opening a new maya file, skinning a simple cube to a joint and trying to import that. If it works the problem lies in your file, if it doesn't it's either the plugin or the model viewer...
08-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Find