Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia Story Idea(s) Thread
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Amnesia Story Idea(s) Thread

Just like I made a 'Superthread' in the Off-topic section http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-19820.html I've decided to make a same type thing for Amnesia.

To refresh a 'Superthread' is, in my definition, made up of several threads. Here if I or any of you have an Amnesia Custom Story concept/idea, feel free to post it. Include also what problem(s) you have encounter when you try to make the story. One of us here maybe able to help out.

To start things off, I will post two separate ideas I have

Story Idea 1: I've been trying to make story that deals with you in the deep sea. I've recently found out about this game http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/12/deep-s...game-ever/ (main webpage here http://wraughk.com/deepsea/ ) that has really inspired me. Read the link(s) above to understand my inspiration before resuming. Now my game is inspired from this scary experience.

Pros---Design is possible, I use an enlarged version of the ptest rockwall as a deep sea trench. The unseen monster can be done with the Water Lurker. I've seen I can reconfigure a the intensity of your light in total darkness so that 'your sub' has lights without the use of a Lantern.

Cons--While I could do 'experimental deep sea suit', I'd rather have you pilot a minisub to be realistic. Not sure how to do this. While I could have 'invisible' platforms for you to move on, as I tested once, as soon as you move up a ramp the Water Lurker loses sight of you.

As you can see, this idea has promise and could be easily done, provided the Cons can be sorted out. What do you think? Any thoughts?

As someone you played Penumbra, and liked it better than Amnesia: TDD, I couldn't help but think up ideas of either a prequel or a sequel. thus I have this 2nd story idea...

Story Idea 2: Let's say that the person Philip contacted to go after the alien race known as the Tuurngait received the message. This person and team went after the Tuurngaits and thought they won against them. They were wrong. Soon the Tuurngait virus has spread across the whole of America, if not the world! As expected, just like the mines, the virus has a strange affect on non-sentient life forms. Spiders and Worms, particularly the worms, are made much larger and more dangerous. At first, the Government tried to cover it up as a known virus outbreak... of course that didn't last long.

Pros--If made well, this could be an exciting, and scary, sequel series to the first Penumbra Series. Even just my own small efforts, I've been able to convert Penumbra textures into Amnesia. Being in a large city affected by the Tuurngait, story and scares would abound better than a confined castle or mine.

Cons--I know that other people here have converted the Infected and Dog into Amnesia, and Amnesia's Spider is basically the Penumbra Spider already. Now I haven't tried converting their animations myself, I started with the Worm. My system seems to run slow once I reach the animations section of the Model Editor, so my animation conversion skills are low.

The above story concept is doable, making the area and story would take time. Particularly if I made the area, or most of it, one large area (so that important rooms aren't safe from monsters invading you unannounced). Until I can do something about my computer, I can't convert Penumbra monster animations to Amnesia. I have noticed that having the worm's attack anim the base starting pose keeps it facing forward (as its normal base anim is backwards).

Of these ideas, which do you think I should attempt first? Can any of you help me out, either with advice or physical help?

Again, be sure to post your ideas as well. I wish to hear and help if possible.
01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia Story Idea(s) Thread

Isn't deep sea the game where you start out as a woman shooting zombies claiming you're an engineer?
Titanic story it sucked ballz to the extremeness of sucking balls.

Quite nice idea but it would be very open in broad daylight making it less horror.
In real life a Tuurngait "invasion" or infection would be the scariest thing ever but not in a game.
I think you should actually have the Penumbra OT and BP maps and make them more compact the add new areas.
As part 1 were caves and mining sites while part 2 was lab and bunker fusing those together while ading new extras would make an incredible map.

As for the team having teammates run around is not only extremely difficult to make it will take out the scare as you have faggy team mates.
I think if done you should make it so that you are the only survivor and have to go on where Dr anabel left of fetching the antidote and distributing it someway as peek and hide should remain the classy basics.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 01:09 AM by maarten12100.)
01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

I've always wanted there to be a custom story set in Sarnath from HP Lovecraft's story "The Doom that Came to Sarnath". I think it would be reallllyyy creepy being in one of the old buildings there that have been abandoned for centuries. The monsters that the player encounters would be the inhabitants of Ib.

In Ruins [WIP]
01-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-11-2013, 01:14 AM)NaxEla Wrote: I've always wanted there to be a custom story set in Sarnath from HP Lovecraft's story "The Doom that Came to Sarnath". I think it would be reallllyyy creepy being in one of the old buildings there that have been abandoned for centuries. The monsters that the player encounters would be the inhabitants of Ib.

I don't think I've read that story, but it sounds perfect for a custom story. An centuries old building, strange monsters, sounds like my kind of place to visit! What do the 'inhabitants' look like?

(01-11-2013, 01:08 AM)maarten12100 Wrote: Isn't deep sea the game where you start out as a woman shooting zombies claiming you're an engineer?
Titanic story it sucked ballz to the extremeness of sucking balls.

Quite nice idea but it would be very open in broad daylight making it less horror.
In real life a Tuurngait "invasion" or infection would be the scariest thing ever but not in a game.
I think you should actually have the Penumbra OT and BP maps and make them more compact the add new areas.
As part 1 were caves and mining sites while part 2 was lab and bunker fusing those together while ading new extras would make an incredible map.

I've heard of the deep sea game you're describing, and the game I linked above isn't the same game. It's an audio game only. You are a deep sea diver trying to survive this monster that's after you. The player even wears a mask to add to the feel. You send sonar pings to try and find it... or hearing it. Only your breathing can drone out the monster roars. People are really, usually, scared when playing this game but enjoyed the experience. Now you never physically see the monster, but the poeple who played it all picture its appearance differently.

Glad you liked my Tuurngait 'invasion' idea. It would be scary, but I think it could work in a game. I have toyed the idea of making the Penumbra maps into Amnesia, but re-creating Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague in Amnesia (and ready for all to play for free) Frictional Games might not like (as they want you to buy it). Taking this into account, that's why I desire to make a sequel or prequel to add to it.
01-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

(01-11-2013, 01:42 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 01:14 AM)NaxEla Wrote: I've always wanted there to be a custom story set in Sarnath from HP Lovecraft's story "The Doom that Came to Sarnath". I think it would be reallllyyy creepy being in one of the old buildings there that have been abandoned for centuries. The monsters that the player encounters would be the inhabitants of Ib.

I don't think I've read that story, but it sounds perfect for a custom story. An centuries old building, strange monsters, sounds like my kind of place to visit! What do the 'inhabitants' look like?

Lovecraft described them as "in hue as green as the lake and the mists that rise above it.... They had bulging eyes, pouting, flabby lips, and curious ears, and were without voice."

In Ruins [WIP]
01-11-2013, 01:56 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-11-2013, 01:56 AM)NaxEla Wrote:

Lovecraft described them as "in hue as green as the lake and the mists that rise above it.... They had bulging eyes, pouting, flabby lips, and curious ears, and were without voice."

Sounds scary! After reading your description, I decided to find any drawings of them, I found these http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/2...58c8qx.jpg http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/3...rawler.jpg and the thing they worship http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/2...59fnwz.jpg

Is this how you envisioned it? The Beings of Ib could be done by modifying the Tuurngait Infected or finding someone to make it. As for Bokrug, he/she would have to be a custom job.
01-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

(01-11-2013, 02:59 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 01:56 AM)NaxEla Wrote:

Sounds scary! After reading your description, I decided to find any drawings of them, I found these http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/2...58c8qx.jpg http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/3...rawler.jpg and the thing they worship http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/2...59fnwz.jpg

Is this how you envisioned it? The Beings of Ib could be done by modifying the Tuurngait Infected or finding someone to make it. As for Bokrug, he/she would have to be a custom job.

Well, I wasn't really thinking of including Bokrug, but if someone made a Being of Ib monster, we'd have a fucking masterpiece.

In Ruins [WIP]
01-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

If your going to do deep-sea, you'll want 3d movement. Pretty sure you can't do that - if you find a way I'd be very, very interested to know how. Problem with the water lurker is that although it looks like it's 'in' the water, its still just moving on a 2d plane, you couldn't really get it to 'swin' after you in a natural looking way. That said, if 'deep-sea' is simply a setting for your game and you were actually in some kind of lovecraftian deep-sea temple, then s'all good!

01-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-11-2013, 10:35 AM)Adrianis Wrote: If your going to do deep-sea, you'll want 3d movement. Pretty sure you can't do that - if you find a way I'd be very, very interested to know how. Problem with the water lurker is that although it looks like it's 'in' the water, its still just moving on a 2d plane, you couldn't really get it to 'swin' after you in a natural looking way. That said, if 'deep-sea' is simply a setting for your game and you were actually in some kind of lovecraftian deep-sea temple, then s'all good!

The problem with the Water Lurker is just as you described, it's surface walking monster. While I could have an invisible step for you and it, this would restrict movement as opposed to 'swimming' in the water. Plus, what particle would be good for the Kaernk? Dust wouldn't work as it's up in the water. Now if I could have it glowing when running, that would open up possibilities. Then I'd have a giant bio-illuminated monster after you (the player can envision what is after him. for me, a mermaid form of Steve Alten's Angel the Megalodon)

I had never thought of a 'Lovecraftian Deep Sea Temple', that's good! You have given me all kind of story ideas dealing with this. I will have to start making this Big Grin

EDIT: Working on 'Lovecraftian Deep Sea' story, but have two questions that I'm sure one of you can answer.

1: I've never worked with scripts (not counter the liquid script category). So how do I have a coding be attached to it?

2: I know that wind can be used to push the player (as in the custom story 'The Attic'), but what about pull the player? If so, how can this be done?
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM by The Rock Worm.)
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Find
NaxEla Offline

(01-11-2013, 03:44 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: -snip-

EDIT: Working on 'Lovecraftian Deep Sea' story, but have two questions that I'm sure one of you can answer.

1: I've never worked with scripts (not counter the liquid script category). So how do I have a coding be attached to it?

2: I know that wind can be used to push the player (as in the custom story 'The Attic'), but what about pull the player? If so, how can this be done?

PHP Code: (Select All)
void AddPlayerBodyForce(float afXfloat afYfloat afZbool abUseLocalCoords); 

afX - amount along the X-axis
afY - amount along the Y-axis
afZ - amount along the Z-axis
abUseLocalCoords - If true, axes are based on where the player is facing, not the world.

This function pushes the player in a certain direction. Adjust the x, y, and z values depending on the direction that you want the player to be pushed.

In Ruins [WIP]
01-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Find