Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What was the last Film you watched?
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: What was the last Film you watched?

I also liked Pans Labyrinth, the aesthetic and composition was more important to me than the story was, and the underlying depressive tones and sureal undertones like what is reality and what is not.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 03:57 AM by eliasfrost.)
01-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(01-28-2013, 03:56 AM)nackidno Wrote: I also liked Pans Labyrinth, the aesthetic and composition was more important to me than the story was, and the underlying depressive tones and sureal undertones like what is reality and what is not.

Just watch a Cronenberg like the rest of us. You don't need a poorly written fantasy (trying to be something it wasn't in the long run) for that. If you want a reality dilemma, there's no better movie than Videodrome. By the end of it you will start to question whether you even exist.
01-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Like the rest of you? If you put it like that, how about.... no.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Just watch a Cronenberg like the rest of us.
Okay, seriously now, whats up with all the condescending overtones in this discussion? Can't you guys just let someone enjoy something he or she likes without trying to make him feel like he's part of some inferior group compared to the "elite" or whatever? These (more or less) subtle insults are really starting to annoy me.
Compared to a normal conversation, written text always carries a certain danger of coming across as more insulting than it was meant to be, something which, I believe, should be kept in mind when writing. So all I ask is to please tone it down a bit...
01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(01-27-2013, 06:42 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(01-27-2013, 07:56 AM)Deep One Wrote: Ran.
Epic, just epic!

High five!

*high five*

Have you watched Seven Samurai? I think it's the best asian film I've ever seen. Actually one of the greatest movies of all times!
01-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

In case you guys didn't notice (I don't blame you, this is the internet) I have a very dry sense of humor. I'm sorry if it offends you but I do mean what I said about Pan's Labyrinth being something entirely different from what it set out to be. I don't pretend to know what Guillermo was going for, but I am fairly certain he did not want to have a half-baked fantasy story (which is my opinion).

But if you haven't seen any of Cronenberg's stuff, I honestly recommend you check it out if you're into surrealism in film. Naked Lunch is my favorite, after that Videodrome, The Fly, Scanners, Dead Ringers and eXistenZ.

EDIT: Seven Samurai is way too long IMO. It's a fantastic movie, but I don't get what warrants such a huge runtime. The story is fairly simple and the environment is pretty much static. It would have been just as effective at 2 hours or 2 hours and 30 mins I think. Compare it to a movie like Lawrence of Arabia with a complex plot containing lots of dialogue and a huge array of environments. Still, highly enjoyable, especially the score.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM by Bridge.)
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet but I suggest you see El Orfanato (The Orphanage). Its a psychological horror produced by Del Toro, had to study it for Film Studies. Not the best horror around, but its had some good reviews.

[Image: l-orphelinat-el-orfanato-the-orphanage-1...7-17-g.jpg]

[Image: luv.gif]
01-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: In case you guys didn't notice (I don't blame you, this is the internet)I have a very dry sense of humor. I'm sorry if it offends you but I do mean what I said about Pan's Labyrinth being something entirely different from what it set out to be. I don't pretend to know what Guillermo was going for, but I am fairly certain he did not want to havea half-baked fantasy story (which is my opinion).
I wasn't talking about what you said about the movie. Nobody here created it, and you're of course entitled to your own opinion about it, so that can't be insulting. I was talking about how you subtly insulted people here. It most likely wasn't intentional (so I'm not angry or anything), but saying "Just watch a Cronenberg like the rest of us." can easily be interpreted as "You belong to a small, abnormal minority and should do what the majority of people, who I belong to, does".

Putting aside the fact that it is open for debate which "group" is the majority here, statements like that just create needless tension and from my point of view do not help an engaging and enjoyable discussion. That's all I wanted to say. (And it may have unintentionally come across as a bit pissed off - but well, you know, it's the internet, like you said Smile )
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(01-28-2013, 04:55 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: "You belong to a small, abnormal minority and should do what the majority of people, who I belong to, does".

Hey, I get it. I happen to be in strong opposition of the argumentum ad populum fallacy and any kind of mainstream coercion in general. It's just how I express myself, I didn't even think about it. But I'd just like to point out that the people who truly appreciate Cronenberg could be called a small, very abnormal minority.
01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

my last movie was The Hobbit. It wasnt bad, but i think they forced way too many "funny moments" and tried to make the whole movie into a comedy for 5 year olds.

It wasnt bad, i enjoyed watching it... But i could have enjoyed it more if the movie was better.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
01-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Find