Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.

@ KMan: The problem that seems to be the crux of this debate is that both standards are relative to men. The image of musclemen is meant to incite a power fantasy, and the image of women are meant as eye candy.

Frankly, if men were equally being objectified, then they'd all be shirtless and have thick mustaches, with bowties around their necks.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
04-24-2014, 01:35 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

uh also as for the whole female/male values thing while they might not as be as prominent as a lot of people would like you to believe i do believe they exist. most of this is just going off memory from various articles ive seen online + a psych class i took earlier this year + my own personal experience so im sure it won't be 100% accurate BUT from what i can remember
  • men are generally better at spatial reasoning
  • women are generally much more social and pick up on the subtleties of interaction a lot easier
  • women tend to be more in touch with their emotions (sort of similar to the last one but w/e)
  • men tend to see in black and white and absolutes a lot more then women in particular with emotions
  • men are generally more aroused by specific body parts (hey i actually have a source for this one LOL WHATS UP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-A8GvUehq4)
  • women have a disconnect between being aroused and actual wanting to engage in any sort of sexual act
  • womens sexuality is highly influenced by their peers and relies more on the status of their partner rather than their body
  • masculinity encourages men to be more aggressive, protective, and assertive
  • our culture teaches women to be more submissive and to work to appeal to men (i could go on and on about these last two points for days but im guessing you already know the basics of them)
  • both genders cant express enjoyment of certain media without getting judged because of gender roles (like bronies or girls w/ videogames and such)

those are just the first few that come to mind, im sure i could come up with more if i really spent some time on it. like i said i don't think that these necessarily impact all art or that, but i think acies does definitely have a point that the gender of a creator definitely can have an impact on a work of art even if its not anything super noticeable. a lot of that certainly explains why you might see certain trends that have been brought up depending on which gender it was primarily created by.

i don't think the actual intent behind it is really relevant if we're discussing what sort of impact it has on the consumer. it do believe that the focus around men in both exposes a lot of the focus in media and shows the inequality between the two sexes when it comes to most forms of art, but that doesn't really effect what kind of mindsets it shapes

and yeah of course men aren't objectified as much as women but thats not to say that it doesn't happen and that its not just as shitty when it does happen. regardless of which sex is being objectified it still has the same shitty toxic effect on people who embrace it.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 01:45 AM by Kman.)
04-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(04-24-2014, 01:35 AM)Ghieri Wrote: @ KMan: The problem that seems to be the crux of this debate is that both standards are relative to men. The image of musclemen is meant to incite a power fantasy, and the image of women are meant as eye candy.

Frankly, if men were equally being objectified, then they'd all be shirtless and have thick mustaches, with bowties around their necks.

So I take it you are implying that muscly men are not eye candy to women and that women do not get a kick out of looking beautiful and being appreciated for that? Oh wait, the patriarchy is forcing them to do it just to appease the men, right?
04-24-2014, 02:44 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(04-24-2014, 02:44 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-24-2014, 01:35 AM)Ghieri Wrote: @ KMan: The problem that seems to be the crux of this debate is that both standards are relative to men. The image of musclemen is meant to incite a power fantasy, and the image of women are meant as eye candy.

So I take it you are implying that muscly men are not eye candy to women

Ugh, no. You've got it all wrong! Sad

This is what we like: https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...5685_n.jpg

Not silly muscle men.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
04-24-2014, 05:47 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

I second MRN on this movement

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
04-24-2014, 05:47 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

Annnnd we're off topic.

Not refuting anything here, in the past it's proven useless. PM me if anyone wants to talk about why representation matters, and why MISrepresentation is harmful.

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 06:28 AM by VaeVictis.)
04-24-2014, 06:25 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(04-24-2014, 05:47 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(04-24-2014, 02:44 AM)Bridge Wrote:

So I take it you are implying that muscly men are not eye candy to women

Ugh, no. You've all got it wrong! Sad

This is what we like: https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...5685_n.jpg

Not silly muscle men.

Hands off ladies, he's taken Wink

[Image: luv.gif]
04-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Well one can dream, eh? :P
----
Erm, sorry for furthering the derailing of this thread...
Would be nice to see some men in games that don't look like inverted pyramids though (and some women that don't look like extreme hourglasses)... That is what this thread is talking about, yes?

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 07:45 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
04-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

I think that of because the many different ways males and females have emotions that the gaming industry is divided into Female and Male parts.

Males are action-oriented and females are emotion-oriented. The thing is that humans associate awesomeness as Action, Mystery and stuff. And companies take advantage of the awesomeness to get more money. This is why Male-oriented games dominates. It's because of the correlation that we associate awesomeness with Action and girls don't like action.

I mean compare two games. Titanfall and Barbie. Barbie is just make ups (No offense ladies) and Titanfall is cool mecha stuff. Which is more awesome? Titanfall obviously. And companies take advantage of this and thus since most depends on that awesomeness the male oriented games dominates the gaming industry.

Also, girls are more leaning into reality, whilst boys lean towards artificial reality. Because of this, most games are made for men because they lean towards AR. However, some women lean towards both and thus some companies take advantage of that and make girly games.

Please note that because I am a male, this opinion is mostly Male biased. And I'm sorry if I offend any females around here.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

insightful argument

Posting Freak
04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Website Find