Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Let''s stop hating Math
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Let''s stop hating Math

(04-27-2014, 06:56 PM)BAndrew Wrote: Edward Frenkel: When you say that you hate math, you’re really saying I hate the way math was taught to me. Imagine you’re in art class in which they only teach you how to paint a fence or a walk but they never show you the paintings of the great masters. Then of course years later you’re going to say “I hate Art”, what you’ll really be saying is “I hate painting the fence.” And so it is with math. When people say “I hate math”, what they’re really saying is “I hate painting the fence.”

But there will always be people who aren't interested in math. I agree with what Edward says, but if the person won't show any interest in math, he'll always hate it. I think a huge group of people 'hate' math because they don't like it so they won't learn how to 'paint a great painting'
04-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I don't think that holds up right there, I'm an artist, I love art, but I have no interest in the art of ''The great masters''

I just find maths boring, I never liked it no matter what the situation.
04-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

Math is pretty swell! I used to hate it as a kid until I learned how to approach it. I agree that a lot of it has to do with how it is taught to you, in fact I consider my family to have made the biggest contribution to my math knowledge rather than teachers. I was lucky to have math-knowing people in my life who were also good at communicating ideas, especially considering that I'm not naturally predisposed to math.

I find it to be quite useful. Ever since I graduated high school (not in college yet), my math activity has diminished, which lead to me forgetting some things. Now that I'm working on a custom story, this really gets in the way. Gotta revise!

Ultimately though, as curious and cool as I find math to be, I rarely do it for its own sake. There's a certain level of complexity where it starts to feel redundant. My main interest in life is art, and math is just a tool for me to use.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 04:25 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
04-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

maths always been easy as shit for me

too bad its bores the fuck out of me cause i could probably actually make a descent career out of it otherwise

oh well

Posting Freak
04-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Website Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

math is... well i only ever cared to learn graphing and algebra, all i really need in life. Dont need the complicated symbols as im not going for a damn masters degree. Just the basic, if i have x this and it costs y that then z.

04-29-2014, 12:49 AM
Find