Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOMA: Preview discussion thread (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25
RE: SOMA: Preview discussion thread (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

More gameplay videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfkRQ6rDhPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikjj8uhQeP8

This forum is dead
08-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Well most target audiences (nothing against them) are stupid when it comes to technology. A very low percentage of the population have a decent amount of knowledge of it. Most people think it's somehow this amazing magical technology.

That is a big reason to why we use current-generation objects. (If people have a hard enough time understand objects in 2015, adding more confusing technology won't help)

Another big reason is like I said before, using something to outlandish (even if you can imagine it) will only draw attention to it's faults.

Imagination != Reality

Until people spend the money researching and doing all the Trials & Errors in making something. You never really know how or what a technology will do. We have been imagining walking, working robots for over 100 years. But we are still in the stone age in perfecting one.

Their are a bunch of other points I can make, but I think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sums up why changing technology doesn't help for the sake of We Are In The Future.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM by Rapture.)
08-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

(08-20-2015, 05:50 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: More gameplay videos:

Well, that second video was illuminating.

Spoiler below!
Looks like Simon's a robot after all. They're giving it away pretty early, so I guess it's not a major twist. What kinds of twists will there be in the other two thirds of the game, I wonder?
08-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

(08-21-2015, 01:08 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 05:50 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: More gameplay videos:

Well, that second video was illuminating.

Spoiler below!
Looks like Simon's a robot after all. They're giving it away pretty early, so I guess it's not a major twist. What kinds of twists will there be in the other two thirds of the game, I wonder?

Why am I not surprised, lol

This forum is dead
08-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Found this:

[Image: 12GW0XJ.jpg]

Again, the year is 2103...
In the last picture I posted, the year was 2104 though.

I don't think it's a bug. The game may take place in 2104 or even later.

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2015, 12:49 PM by TiManGames.)
08-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

Well......that shuts me up Smile

(08-20-2015, 05:57 PM)Rapture Wrote: Well most target audiences (nothing against them) are stupid when it comes to technology. A very low percentage of the population have a decent amount of knowledge of it. Most people think it's somehow this amazing magical technology.

That is a big reason to why we use current-generation objects. (If people have a hard enough time understand objects in 2015, adding more confusing technology won't help)

Another big reason is like I said before, using something to outlandish (even if you can imagine it) will only draw attention to it's faults.

Imagination != Reality

Until people spend the money researching and doing all the Trials & Errors in making something. You never really know how or what a technology will do. We have been imagining walking, working robots for over 100 years. But we are still in the stone age in perfecting one.

Their are a bunch of other points I can make, but I think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sums up why changing technology doesn't help for the sake of We Are In The Future.

Sorry. I just saw this!

All very decent points. I guess as well that having ultra futuristic tech would not fit with the grimy falling apart research station that Frictional are aiming for.

Good read. Thanks Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2015, 12:49 PM by MrSteve.)
08-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

(08-26-2015, 12:40 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: Again, the year is 2103...
In the last picture I posted, the year was 2104 though.

I don't think it's a bug. The game may take place in 2104 or even later.

Nice catch! In that case, SOMA takes place about 70 years after Depth. There seem to be a lot fewer humans around...
08-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

I'm guessing if the whole Earth was scorched to death, then there would have been very little resources for any surviving humans to live off of. If depth takes place 70 years before SOMA, then I would imagine that there would be no human life left outside.

This also asks another question though. What about Amy and all the others hooked up to machines to keep them alive? Those guys were around when the incident occurred. Wouldn't they age too? Are the machines keeping them alive keeping them young at the same time?

Surely they would go crazy after so long hooked up to machines, without anywhere to go?
08-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

(08-26-2015, 02:13 PM)MrSteve Wrote: I'm guessing if the whole Earth was scorched to death, then there would have been very little resources for any surviving humans to live off of. If depth takes place 70 years before SOMA, then I would imagine that there would be no human life left outside.

This also asks another question though. What about Amy and all the others hooked up to machines to keep them alive? Those guys were around when the incident occurred. Wouldn't they age too? Are the machines keeping them alive keeping them young at the same time?

Surely they would go crazy after so long hooked up to machines, without anywhere to go?

I think this is what they tried to accomplish in pathos ii to be honest;
To live young forever.

This forum is dead
08-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Good point.

Thing is, why didn't she remember? You think it could be messing with their minds as well?
08-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Find