Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Penumbra in Amnesia
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16
Penumbra in Amnesia

Hey,

I have been thinking about starting a custom story for Amnesia. I have played the Penumbra trilogy, and I am about half way done with Amnesia. I wondered what it would be like to have Penumbra in the era that Amnesia is in... What do you guys think? Does it sound interesting? I could also come up with a completely new idea for a mod...
11-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Penumbra in Amnesia

Isn't Amnesia just Penumbra in a different time period? :p

11-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

(11-02-2010, 12:51 AM)Kurton Wrote: Isn't Amnesia just Penumbra in a different time period? :p

Not at all, the engine is the only similarity. The story has NOTHING to do with each other.

Now back on topic. I think that a Penumbra story within the new engine would be great, even in a castle. It might be difficult to justify within the timeline of Penumbra but if you can figure it out, go for it!
11-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Website Find
Nubblecakes Offline

Threads: 0

It's definitely possible to do considering the mechanics of both games are pretty much exactly the same. I think it would be better to create custom textures and models (and sounds) that you could import in to the new engine, then start rebuilding the levels from Penumbra. It would certainly take quite a long time to do unless you could somehow port the original levels and upgrade them visually. My guess is that Amnesia's engine is just an updated version of Penumbra's, with better shaders and lighting and whatnot.

One problem I see is the puzzles and events. If you were to recreate Penumbra, it would be best to make entirely new puzzles so it would be fresh. Anyone who played Penumbra before would probably love to see it on an updated engine, but they would fly through it in no time because they would know exactly what to do, and what to expect. I guess remaking it in the same timeframe as Amnesia would fix that, but the setting was one of the main reasons why I loved Penumbra.

But as I said, the games really are the same thing, it's just Amnesia immerses you way more and the story and setting are different. I preferred Penumbra's story and setting, but Amnesia's was just as awesome.
11-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

(11-02-2010, 04:15 AM)Nubblecakes Wrote: It's definitely possible to do considering the mechanics of both games are pretty much exactly the same. I think it would be better to create custom textures and models (and sounds) that you could import in to the new engine, then start rebuilding the levels from Penumbra. It would certainly

I think he meant the Penumbra storyline, using the new engine, and in a setting similar to Amnesia, NOT a remake...
11-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Website Find
xiphirx Offline

(11-02-2010, 06:04 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 04:15 AM)Nubblecakes Wrote: It's definitely possible to do considering the mechanics of both games are pretty much exactly the same. I think it would be better to create custom textures and models (and sounds) that you could import in to the new engine, then start rebuilding the levels from Penumbra. It would certainly

I think he meant the Penumbra storyline, using the new engine, and in a setting similar to Amnesia, NOT a remake...

Yes, the Penumbra storyline, not a remake Tongue

If I do this, it will be after I finish Amnesia, so feel free to throw more opinions at me.
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43

I would like that alot, but the model editing need alot of time put into it. Maybe a few people could work on it? i would imagine it would take a couple of months to make the 1st penumbra if you had a few people workign on it quite a bit.
11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

(11-02-2010, 07:02 PM)LoneWolf Wrote: I would like that alot, but the model editing need alot of time put into it. Maybe a few people could work on it? i would imagine it would take a couple of months to make the 1st penumbra if you had a few people workign on it quite a bit.

I don't see why I couldn't use Amnesia's monsters Smile
11-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43

(11-02-2010, 07:04 PM)xiphirx Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 07:02 PM)LoneWolf Wrote: I would like that alot, but the model editing need alot of time put into it. Maybe a few people could work on it? i would imagine it would take a couple of months to make the 1st penumbra if you had a few people workign on it quite a bit.

And what about penumbra object and wall textures?

It woudl be cool if someone could make the monsters from penumbra for amnesia, theres not many monsters at all. Theres only 1 enemy i can think of that no one would enjoy making though, from the black plague.
11-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

(11-02-2010, 07:07 PM)LoneWolf Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 07:04 PM)xiphirx Wrote:

And what about penumbra object and wall textures?

It woudl be cool if someone could make the monsters from penumbra for amnesia, theres not many monsters at all. Theres only 1 enemy i can think of that no one would enjoy making though, from the black plague.

See, its supposed to be in Amnesia's era. Meaning that you wont have the same wall textures. The environments will look totally different.

And for Penumbra specific items, I think Amnesia already has replacements...
11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Find