Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Point and click type of custom story idea
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Point and click type of custom story idea

(03-20-2012, 04:22 PM)Acies Wrote: I'd script away all player momement, except mouse movement. Place 4 script areas around the player "North, South, West, East" --> Clicking either of those will teleport the player to the next position. Then I'd make it a full conversion and replace the interaction images with images of my own (hovering the mouse over the movement box would display a walking character for example). After that it's simply to add other script areas for "interaction" (hovering the mouse over these would produce a hand image for example).

Smart naming would save a lot of effort as well :>
This could be achieved using other engines that focuses on these kind of things. I personally love the idea and the gameplay in games like that but I don't think the Amnesia engine is the optimal choice because of it's limitations. Not saying it shouldn't be done, it's just that it seems like a waste of potential doing it with an engine that is obviously not tailored that way.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Find
SilentStriker Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 26

(03-20-2012, 04:35 PM)nackidno Wrote:
(03-20-2012, 04:22 PM)Acies Wrote: I'd script away all player momement, except mouse movement. Place 4 script areas around the player "North, South, West, East" --> Clicking either of those will teleport the player to the next position. Then I'd make it a full conversion and replace the interaction images with images of my own (hovering the mouse over the movement box would display a walking character for example). After that it's simply to add other script areas for "interaction" (hovering the mouse over these would produce a hand image for example).

This could be achieved using other engines that focuses on these kind of things. I personally love the idea and the gameplay in games like that but I don't think the Amnesia engine is the optimal choice because of it's limitations. Not saying it shouldn't be done, it's just that it seems like a waste of potential doing it with an engine that is obviously not tailored that way.
Well it is possible to be able to look around without being able to walk, I requires alot of scripting etc but your still able to do it.

Using
SetPlayerMoveSpeedMul(float afMul); for example can make the player unable to walk and still able to look around

and MovePlayerForward(float afAmount) to walk

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM by SilentStriker.)
03-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(03-20-2012, 04:35 PM)nackidno Wrote:

Yes, but sometimes things not optimal to the engine are done anyway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VfgFs1akRY

As to why I don't know.. Perhaps it can be taken as a fun challange or as a way to push new ground for amnesia modding :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

03-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

the ability to move around would be good to have tho ^^

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
03-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

SilentStriker: It is possible yes but the designer has to ask himself: Am I doing this for the challenge or for the sake of making a good game/mod? The answer is probably the latter and using the Amnesia engine to make a classic point and click game isn't even considerable if it is a serious project, because it would be very time consuming to alter how the game flows instead of focusing on gameplay programming/scripting and assets. If it's for the challenge (as shown on the video above posted by Acies) then it's all fine and dandy. I'm not against it, it's just a question of efficiency and choice of tool.

Acies: ^^^^^

----------------------------

If someone is up to it then go ahead, it would be awesome to see such a thing evolve from this kind of engine, like the tetris mod, although a point-and-click mod is considerably less complex in terms of modifying and scripting.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM by eliasfrost.)
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Why on earth couldn't it be used for a point'n click...? Sure there are other engines, but someone wants to make a point'n click Amnesia mod there's nothing stopping them, I'd like to see you trying to convince us it wasn't doable with Palistov around.
03-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

(03-20-2012, 05:43 PM)Traggey Wrote: Why on earth couldn't it be used for a point'n click...? Sure there are other engines, but someone wants to make a point'n click Amnesia mod there's nothing stopping them, I'd like to see you trying to convince us it wasn't doable with Palistov around.
I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my posts, I never said that it can't nor shouldn't be done, I merely pointed out (no pun intended) that the designer must undergo unnecessary changes to the engine in order to achieve point-and-click gameplay and that there are other engines that specify on point-and-click games. Please refer to me where I said that it should not be done, because as far as I'm concerned I never said that.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM by eliasfrost.)
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Find