Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Music Discussion thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
So since this is a music discussion lemme ask you something guys and girls

Have you ever used to hate a song or hated a part of the song but then over time (either days or years) you actually started to LOVE that specific part of the song or the whole song? Genres count too

I remember when i was there at the age of puberty i used to hate funk, i didn't like the way it sounds at all. It's not that i wasn't intrested, i simply did not enjoy listening to it. But now like 5 years later i simply love funk and the songs that i used to hate before, i cant stop listening to right now
Mhm, RHCP are a great example. Never liked them at all. Now though they're pretty damn awesome.

I've discovered a lot of new stuff in the past 2 years. Most of which i'd probably not like when I was younger.

An actual example of a song I never used to listen to is this. My brothers used to always skip this song. Personally I find it one of the phonics most badass songs they ever did.

(09-23-2013, 02:13 PM)Dogfood Wrote: [ -> ]So since this is a music discussion lemme ask you something guys and girls

Have you ever used to hate a song or hated a part of the song but then over time (either days or years) you actually started to LOVE that specific part of the song or the whole song? Genres count too

I remember when i was there at the age of puberty i used to hate funk, i didn't like the way it sounds at all. It's not that i wasn't intrested, i simply did not enjoy listening to it. But now like 5 years later i simply love funk and the songs that i used to hate before, i cant stop listening to right now

I used to hate punk and rock and loved Far East Movement and all of that. Until... Kman gave me recommendations and then suddenly, I like it.
Attention: Chronofrog

I recently heard Rimsky-Korsakov's piano concerto for the first time and was totally blown away by the stunning orchestration (no surprise) and how exciting it was. I came across some quite negative opinions on it on a particular YouTube video that caused me some confusion. It's not exactly diminishing my enjoyment of it, but it has gotten me thinking and am curious what your thoughts are, as you are probably far better versed in piano literature than I am. Here it is:

Honestly, I really am not impressed with the main theme that much but I think Rimsky-Korsakov does quite amazing things with it and the piano part is amazingly inspired I think. Anyway, read some of the comments and you'll see what I'm talking about. They seem to be fringe opinions but they got me thinking anyway. I'm not familiar with Liszt's concerti well enough to judge, but somebody complained that it echoes those too much. While Rimsky-Korsakov's concerto is dedicated to Liszt I honestly I cannot hear the supposed unoriginality at all. It seems to be more of a homage and stylistic reference than any type of plagiarism.

Anyway, I mainly wanted you to hear what I consider to be a pretty freaking awesome concerto, and hopefully some good discussion can come of it.
(09-23-2013, 02:13 PM)Dogfood Wrote: [ -> ]So since this is a music discussion lemme ask you something guys and girls

it's called growing and each it's a pretty common occurrence

anyways animal collective is kind of the second best band ever and they've been 80% of what i've listened to for the last few months and you should all go listen to them now
Another question for the music thread and its inhabitants!

Which bands or genres or songs in particular (whatever) did you listen to in your early childhood? By that i mean like age of 7-11. Cartoon music doesn't count Big Grin Also your favourite song at that moment and what influenced your music playlist / taste!

As for me personally i listened to whatever CD's my parents had in their car, in that case it was Queen and Kelly family. I remember everyone in the car kept getting mad at me because i kept replaying the "We will rock you" from Queens so you could say, that song was my favourite Smile So basically i listened to rock all the time, ofc i didnt even know other genres exist. That was when i was REALLY young. (Still love Queens btw, just dont listen to them as much as i used to back when i used to pee my pants frequently.

Then when i got older, somewhere around 9 or 10, i got really hooked into rap. You can thank my uncle for that. Unlike my dad, his car was full of CDs with rap tracks and he gave me one of the CDs for the birthday and i was like "OMG RAP IS COOL" and got hooked in ever since. Also, small funfact: My parents got angry with the uncle because well..rap is rap and can be quite vulgar, which they thought i was too young to listen to (and i was)

SO WHAT ABOUT YOU?
(09-23-2013, 09:57 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]Attention: Chronofrog

I recently heard Rimsky-Korsakov's piano concerto for the first time and was totally blown away by the stunning orchestration (no surprise) and how exciting it was. I came across some quite negative opinions on it on a particular YouTube video that caused me some confusion. It's not exactly diminishing my enjoyment of it, but it has gotten me thinking and am curious what your thoughts are, as you are probably far better versed in piano literature than I am. Here it is:

Honestly, I really am not impressed with the main theme that much but I think Rimsky-Korsakov does quite amazing things with it and the piano part is amazingly inspired I think. Anyway, read some of the comments and you'll see what I'm talking about. They seem to be fringe opinions but they got me thinking anyway. I'm not familiar with Liszt's concerti well enough to judge, but somebody complained that it echoes those too much. While Rimsky-Korsakov's concerto is dedicated to Liszt I honestly I cannot hear the supposed unoriginality at all. It seems to be more of a homage and stylistic reference than any type of plagiarism.

Anyway, I mainly wanted you to hear what I consider to be a pretty freaking awesome concerto, and hopefully some good discussion can come of it.
After listening to the whole piece and briefly looking over the piano part, I can probably say that a valid criticism of the concerto is that the piano is all over the place. It's made up of a ton of arpeggios and octave slides, which might be impressive to play but is indeed very "Lisztian." Not that Liszt is a bad composer, but he's definitely quite famous for being a showoff composer, and spamming arpeggios is something that does appear quite stunning to the audience.

What is rather good about this concerto is the orchestration, not that that's a surprise (as you've already mentioned). In many portions of the piece, particularly at the beginning and also at the andante section that starts somewhere after 6:00, the orchestra accompanies the piano beautifully. The style of the concerto actually feels very modern - I was reminded of the feel of a lot of modern soundtracks as I listened to it, and an in-depth analysis would probably complement my views. Which means that the main reason why people may dislike the piece is that it simply isn't suitable to compare with the other romantic (or post-romantic) composers of Korsakov's era.

But the main reason is that the piano isn't spectacular, comparatively speaking.
Having grown up in a house of 7, music was all over the place. Although I wouldn't say anyone in my family is as enthusiastic or as much as an explorer as I am.

My mum is the oldest and her favourite genre is Motown. I have to admit I really do like me some good Motown like The Temptations and Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross etc.

My dad is quite strange. He grew up as a rocker/punk so he claims but his knowledge of music is very poor. He was probably in it for the movement rather than the music. I always remember the glorious Bruce Springsteen CD's playing.

My sisters listened to pop from the late 80s throughout to the 90s. Had no influence on me whatsoever.

My brothers... They share quite the same tastes. They grew up listening mostly to Eminem, had all his first few albums. I do like the earlier albums if i'm honest. They listened to a variety of other stuff too, only the contemporary stuff that was popular at the time like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park. Those three were the bands they had CD's of. Other than that they'd just listen to whatever was on MTV back then. Will always remember Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal and Good Charlotte first few singles! So to sum them up they stuck pretty close to what the music industry was feeding them.

When the first Ipod was released my brothers filled them up with tonnes of music, to which I would listen to and find artists I liked.

I guess the first big breakthrough of music I had was my first album I bought. It was Dead Letters by The Rasmus. It was probably the first thing that ONLY I actually liked. My brothers didn't like them yet I did. To this day I am proud to say that was my first album because it still rocks. I've always swayed more to the alternative side I suppose.
(09-24-2013, 08:06 PM)Chronofrog Wrote: [ -> ]After listening to the whole piece and briefly looking over the piano part, I can probably say that a valid criticism of the concerto is that the piano is all over the place. It's made up of a ton of arpeggios and octave slides, which might be impressive to play but is indeed very "Lisztian." Not that Liszt is a bad composer, but he's definitely quite famous for being a showoff composer, and spamming arpeggios is something that does appear quite stunning to the audience.

What is rather good about this concerto is the orchestration, not that that's a surprise (as you've already mentioned). In many portions of the piece, particularly at the beginning and also at the andante section that starts somewhere after 6:00, the orchestra accompanies the piano beautifully. The style of the concerto actually feels very modern - I was reminded of the feel of a lot of modern soundtracks as I listened to it, and an in-depth analysis would probably complement my views. Which means that the main reason why people may dislike the piece is that it simply isn't suitable to compare with the other romantic (or post-romantic) composers of Korsakov's era.

But the main reason is that the piano isn't spectacular, comparatively speaking.

That's a little unfair isn't it? It's a concerto - it's almost guaranteed to "show off" every aspect of the piano. And I happen to like Liszt. I'm not sure how you can say this is all over the place and yet worship Chopin, unless you mean to say it is simply bad piano writing - in which case I disagree. Also, compared to Liszt I think it's quite economic in its techniques actually, Rimsky-Korsakov uses little to achieve a lot. I don't agree with your diagnosis that it "spams" arpeggios and octave slides at all. Overall I think the piano part is quite melodious and a high emphasis is placed on creating unique textures by blending the piano into the orchestra.

Why does it remind you of modern soundtracks (apart from that one woodwind part that you do hear in film scores occasionally, or something similar in any case)? And why is it unsuitable to compare to other Romantic works, apart from it being short? Finally, what is so unspectacular about the piano? I can only speak for myself here, but I find the concerto absolutely riveting with just the right amount of balance between everything, whereas I sometimes do get bored listening to say a Beethoven concerto.

Your post is way too vague for my liking. Bear in mind this piece is not normally regarded as a poor composition, it seems like almost literally the only people who hate it are these two or three YouTubers.

EDIT: But I definitely don't consider it a *great* concerto either, I just don't find anything wrong with it considering what it is.
my brother knows a lot about music too but his taste is pretty spotty and he's super super pretentious (he'll suddenly decide he dislikes a band if i like them if they're not classic hardcore or something he showed me and half the time they're bands i know he likes already or it's something that fits his taste so perfectly there's like a 95% chance he'd like them) so he's no fun to talk with
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29