Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Echoes of a Sunless City - Work in Progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
-----------------------------------------

Download: Currently Unavailable.

Details: 4, maybe 5 fully featured Campaign maps for 'Amnesia - The Dark Descent'.

I commenced working on this campaign in late September. I started developing the second map first as it is the easiest in terms of complexity and to use it as an opportunity to learn the level editor. I still have a lot to learn - especially scripting - which I haven't even looked at yet. (Well, I have, but it just hurts my head...)

Currently on hold due to death in family.

Progress Completed:
Map no.1 - 50% = Laying essential geometry, Props added. Needs a SkyBox!!!!11!!1!!!!
Map no.2 - 99% = Geometry (All significant geometry is in place. Just needs tweaking), 0% = Scripting.
Map no.3 - 0%
Map no.4 - 0%
Map no.5 - 0%

Story: Story outline and details have been finalised but are not yet ready for announcing to the Public. I believe what I have in mind is 100% possible within the constraints of HPL engine limitations.

Estimated Completion: I guess sometime in 2011.

I'm still a noob at mapping for this game but I am surprised at how easy the editor is to get to grips with. I should have all the maps built in about 2 months (or so). Scripting will be a challenge for me. Never was any good at that stuff.

Screenshots:
This is the first set of images. There are more littered about the thread below.
[Image: SunlessCity_03.jpg]
Level 2: Crap strewn around a room. Reminds me of my bedroom when I was a teenager.

[Image: SunlessCity_02.jpg]
Level 2: Shelving with junk on it. More junk on the floor.

[Image: SunlessCity_04.jpg]
Level 2: Yep. That's it. The entrance to the 'Sunless City'.

Download: Currently Unavailable.
I've just added my first batch of screenshots (see above) to this thread.

These are from the second level in the campaign. Geometry is all in place and I am happy with it. I stilll need to work on lighting and adding some props.

My biggest stumbling block at the moment is scripting. I am going to have to learn how to do this and it doesn't come intuitively to me. Gah! ...and I was doing so well, too, to get this map built in a week. Big Grin
Looking good. Hope you figure out that fandangled scripting stuff.
Let me know if you need any help with scripting. I like the title.
Thank you. Yeah, I will definitely be seeking assistance with scripting. At least some useful pointers to help getting me started with its basic functions. Once I understand those, I will be right.

Right now, however, it makes as much sense to me as algebra does to a 2 year old.

More updates as I progress...
Your best bet for learning scripting from scratch is opening the .hps files of the main story and reading. Most of them have comments on what each function does.
Thanks. I will take your advice and peruse their contents.

Gah!!! Hoping to repeat the quick success I had with map no.2 was not so fruitful. My first attempt at building map no.1 has failed... Scrap it. Start afresh.

A few hours lost is no big deal. Can't be afraid to discard work that doesn't fit the Project. After all, I did remove a substantial area towards the end of building map no.2 and totally rebuild that section.

At least I chose wisely which map to learn using the editor - the easiest one was tackled first. These things don't have to be assembled in the way the Player will experience them - they just have to feel that way.
Looks great so far. Keep it up! I'd love to see a bunch of these projects completed some day.
It's crazy how much my imagination runs with your title. You better have a kickass story to back up your campaign : )

And just a suggestion, you might want to try and use some ambient lights to brighten your levels just a bit. It actually adds to the atmosphere when you control the temperature of "darkness" instead of it just being pitch black.
Lighting..? sure. I am well aware of its use. Ambient lighting is an important mood tool. Just like the use of sound - which so many people under appreciate. Right now these WiP screenies are still indicative of work still in development. Still got a loooong way to go.

After all, really good campaigns take more than just an evening's effort. I don't anticipate having this thing finished until the end of the year. ...at the very least.

...and I like to finish the Projects I start. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3