Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Amnesia Custom Story: Guide to Horror / Do's and Don't for Scaring Players
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Amnesia Custom Story: Guide to Horror / Do's and Don't for Scaring Players

(04-04-2012, 03:04 AM)Acies Wrote: On the contrary I like seeing the current trend on the forums; an attempt to strive towards better stories. These threads should be allowed to be repeated - I don't mind - the message is so important.
I know that this goes against everything I've previously stated, but it's simple, really: If you want to make a story, then make a story. As a wise man (Christopher Walken) once said: "If you want to build a house, then go build a house! Don't ask anybody, just build a house!" Even if you'd like to make My Little Pony stories that most people will run from, go make them! Make flying teleporting Jesuses hit your face every five seconds if you want to! Ultimately, it's your editor.
Maybe people won't like your story, but in the end, so what? People who make stories to please everybody else, will just burn themselves out very quickly. Feel free to make the story that you want to make. Just make sure that you don't describe an "intense jump-scare adventure" as "a good Amnesia horror story", so that you can find the right kind of audience.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49

(04-04-2012, 02:07 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Even if you'd like to make My Little Pony stories that most people will run from, go make them!
[hands-and-knees begging]

Please dont make them, and lets try not to encourage it either.

[/hands-and-knees begging]
Haha. I totally get your point though, and I agree, dont consider these maps a "Good custom story" because they aren't. Period.

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-05-2012, 08:11 PM)JetlinerX Wrote: Haha. I totally get your point though, and I agree, dont consider these maps a "Good custom story" because they aren't. Period.
I perceived his point slightly differently. What I think he meant is that you're free to make whatever mods you so desire, and follow whatever you're trying to express regardless of other people's views. Just be sure not to advertise it as something that its not so that it can get the right audience.

Like say you love making jump scare maps, you can take advice from other people, but ultimately it's your mod, if you love it you should go make it even if everyone will hate you for it. If you don't do something you truly love (Or at least have been sincerely convinced to do), then you're wasting your time in making something that doesn't express your thoughts. Just be sure that when the game is released, you proudly proclaim that it's a jump scare map, and not one that will bring an immersive story. Let's face it, some people like jump-scare maps, there's no wrong in that, and this will be the map for them.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49

Interesting, thats not at all how I read that...

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

04-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2012, 11:03 PM)JetlinerX Wrote: Interesting, thats not at all how I read that...
Well, apart from "There's nothing wrong with liking jump-scares/MLP." that's how I meant it. It pains me to see MLP maps in Amnesia, but in a way, telling people what sort of maps they should and shouldn't create, is slightly worse. I may have to eat my words one day, but I believe that Amnesia mapping will always have a strong core of horror mapping. I don't think we'll ever meet the demise that Minecraft did.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 11:43 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

When will this bitching stop. Come on guys, I have repeated myself so many times that I feel embarrassed posting on these threads now. Just grow the fuck up, no one is going to change because you are but hurt. Now gtfo.

04-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(04-06-2012, 04:07 AM)flamez3 Wrote: When will this bitching stop. Come on guys, I have repeated myself so many times that I feel embarrassed posting on these threads now.
Hahaha! I actually find this post humorous. "These threads" have been posted by a different person each time, yet there is someone who returns "to bitch" in everyone of them.
(04-06-2012, 04:07 AM)flamez3 Wrote: Just grow the fuck up, no one is going to change because you are but hurt. Now gtfo.
Well, with the point above in mind; take a look in the mirror.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

I'm sorry, I don't know how people can come to these forums, make an account, go to a sub-forum and then tell people how to make a custom story. I don't see myself bitching, I am telling people to stop bitching.

With the recent outburst of these threads I have been less and less inclined to post in them... And I have. I simply ignore than as foolish and immature. But after every 2-3 threads have been made stating the exact same opinion and the same exact people agreeing with them it gets a bit hard to let it go.

It's just... really hard to see people so concerned on what other people are doing with their maps... that they feel like it's their place to tell them how to make theirs. As I said, grow up... this will continue for a long...long time and there is nothing you can do about. Unfortunately.

P.S: And on a side note you have 666 posts :o

P.P.S: Show me one post of me bitching about the outcry of people making threads about this.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM by flamez3.)
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

The #1 rule for scaring players: Make maps instead of posting on the forums. / End thread Wink

04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-06-2012, 02:16 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: The #1 rule for scaring players: Make maps instead of posting on the forums. / End thread Wink
I've been doing it wrong the whole time!! I'm a bad person!! *Runs away crying*

04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Find