Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request Handgun/Pistol
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

Threads: 39
Handgun/Pistol

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone around here with modeling skills (because I have NONE at all :/) could create a handgun model (as an entity) that can be picked up and put into the inventory?

No, this gun isn't going to be used in gameplay (I wish. If only the engine supported it...). It's for some other purpose.

Please and thank you! Smile
05-29-2012, 04:41 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Handgun/Pistol

IMO modeling isn't that hard because using the actual program (Ex: Blender, Maya) will be far harder to master rather than modeling the item.

So ya... try out Blender. (It's free, but it might be harder than a paid program like Maya).
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 04:46 AM by Rapture.)
05-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

(05-29-2012, 04:44 AM)Rapture Wrote: IMO modeling isn't that hard because using the actual program (Ex: Blender, Maya) will be far harder to master rather than modeling the item.

So ya... try out Blender. (It's free, but it might be harder than a paid program like Maya).
I tried Blender, and trust me, I worked for about an hour trying to freakin' figure out what to do with this and that. Nope. Had no idea what I was doing.

There aren't any tutorials, ether. And even if there were, I bet they would be really complicated.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 04:50 AM by SonOfLiberty796.)
05-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(05-29-2012, 04:50 AM)Xvideogamer720X Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 04:44 AM)Rapture Wrote: IMO modeling isn't that hard because using the actual program (Ex: Blender, Maya) will be far harder to master rather than modeling the item.

I tried Blender, and trust me, I worked for about an hour trying to freakin' figure out what to do with this and that. Nope. Had no idea what I was doing.

There aren't any tutorials, ether. And even if there were, I bet they would be really complicated.

1 Hour isn't enough to do anything. Magic doesn't come to a human right away, were not freaks of nature prodigies.

At best you will get frustrated after 1 hour like you said, return after 1 month and slowly start to get the hang of it. To long? Well that's life, unless your brain is attuned to Art and shit. It's going to take awhile to master this.

You didn't look very hard either for tutorials, I'm 99% the Blender site has links all over the place for tutorials and helps also.

Here is the site I prefer to go for Tutorials, their are others. But this is good enough for now, hope it helps... http://cgcookie.com/blender/
05-29-2012, 04:55 AM
Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

(05-29-2012, 04:55 AM)Rapture Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 04:50 AM)Xvideogamer720X Wrote:

1 Hour isn't enough to do anything. Magic doesn't come to a human right away, were not freaks of nature prodigies.

At best you will get frustrated after 1 hour like you said, return after 1 month and slowly start to get the hang of it. To long? Well that's life, unless your brain is attuned to Art and shit. It's going to take awhile to master this.

You didn't look very hard either for tutorials, I'm 99% the Blender site has links all over the place for tutorials and helps also.

Here is the site I prefer to go for Tutorials, their are others. But this is good enough for now, hope it helps... http://cgcookie.com/blender/
I knew you would say something like that. Not like I didn't know, but I was just stating. Didn't mean to sound lazy and stubborn.

As for the tutorials, I'll check them out.

In the meantime, the request is still up.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 05:01 AM by SonOfLiberty796.)
05-29-2012, 04:57 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Dude, "There aren't any tutorials, ether" what? There are a crazy, crazy number of tutorials. Frankly IMO there are too many, so many different ones on similar topics, there several sources of tutorials for every aspect of blender... a more dedicated resource would be good but such is the nature of Open Source. You just gotta make sure that you understand the presenter of the tutorial, and that you are working in the same version of Blender (as I found the interface has changed quite drastically)
05-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

first of all, id refrain from using blender if you're new to modeling stuff for amnesia, specifically. its probably gonna make it a bit more difficult when modeling. try using Autodesk Maya, or Autodesk 3dsMax. those two are more.. suitable for amnesia modeling, THOUGH, 3dsMax ive heard has some problems with animations, so id probably go with Maya if i were you. there are hundreds of tutorials out there to help you out with Maya, so there's a start.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(05-29-2012, 12:31 PM)darkadders Wrote: first of all, id refrain from using blender if you're new to modeling stuff for amnesia, specifically. its probably gonna make it a bit more difficult when modeling. try using Autodesk Maya, or Autodesk 3dsMax. those two are more.. suitable for amnesia modeling, THOUGH, 3dsMax ive heard has some problems with animations, so id probably go with Maya if i were you. there are hundreds of tutorials out there to help you out with Maya, so there's a start.
Sadly not an option if you are not a student or don't have a stupid amount of money to blow on a piece of software you've never used. I was stuck with Blender, it's not easy but it gets the job done. Would have liked Maya but I would imagine it still won't be easy
05-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-29-2012, 01:53 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 12:31 PM)darkadders Wrote: first of all, id refrain from using blender if you're new to modeling stuff for amnesia, specifically. its probably gonna make it a bit more difficult when modeling. try using Autodesk Maya, or Autodesk 3dsMax. those two are more.. suitable for amnesia modeling, THOUGH, 3dsMax ive heard has some problems with animations, so id probably go with Maya if i were you. there are hundreds of tutorials out there to help you out with Maya, so there's a start.
Sadly not an option if you are not a student or don't have a stupid amount of money to blow on a piece of software you've never used. I was stuck with Blender, it's not easy but it gets the job done. Would have liked Maya but I would imagine it still won't be easy
I don't usually make excuses for piracy (though I don't have any qualms with it usually) but there is almost nothing more justifiable than pirating 3D modeling software. If you want to get far in modeling at all you need to have the right tools and all of them are criminally overpriced. There is no reason to deprive yourself of a proper educational experience just because you have some moral problems. You can buy it later if you actually start modeling for a living because you may get in trouble for using unlicensed software at that point. Until then though just get used to the concept of 3D modeling and get some experience in it.

EDIT/on topic:

You're going to have to be a lot more specific than just "hangun/pistol". First of all, when is the CS set? Unless you want to have an anachronistic semi-automatic hangun in the 18th century you will have to take this into account (you probably want a flintlock pistol in that case though).
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM by Bridge.)
05-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Learning the interface is something that is required with any program. The issue concerning Amnesia isn't the modeling process, it is the exporting to COLLADA format. Ease of use is relative and Blender, Maya, and 3DSMax provide similar means to achieving the same things (though i prefer Blender). From what i can tell not all versions of Maya export to DAE where the COLLADA parser of HPL2 can parse properly. So simply recommending Maya isn't necessarily in itself a proper recommendation. Nevertheless, if you want to export animations, then Maya 2011 (and possibly earlier versions) is required. Otherwise, any of the three will do.

(05-29-2012, 02:21 PM)Bridge Wrote: I don't usually make excuses for piracy (though I don't have any qualms with it usually) but there is almost nothing more justifiable than pirating 3D modeling software. If you want to get far in modeling at all you need to have the right tools and all of them are criminally overpriced. There is no reason to deprive yourself of a proper educational experience just because you have some moral problems. You can buy it later if you actually start modeling for a living because you may get in trouble for using unlicensed software at that point. Until then though just get used to the concept of 3D modeling and get some experience in it.

It is absurd to excuse piracy when there are perfectly free alternatives to commercial products, where there's little to no difference in productivity between them.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Website Find