Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(07-16-2012, 11:20 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I do not like the idea of pigs taking over the factory, it seems juvenile and not scary on a higher level. What we will see in the game will be much more f*cked up I think, like some symbolic gruesome representation of consumerism where the people are the product. Literally the product, like they take their body, raise it domestically and run it through the factory when the bits are ready. When if you think of society it represents it kinda well, we grow up and are made to go to school so we are educated and can make money for ourselves, and our money is used to buy products and services. Everything in our society is built around money, people spend money and somebody else gets it. So why not take out the middle man and just grow humans for food or whatever? This sounds fucked up I know and don't forget it is just speculation Tongue
Hmm. Reminds me of H.P Lovecraft's short story "Rats in the walls". Take a look:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/text...ion/rw.asp
07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(07-17-2012, 10:44 AM)Deep One Wrote: Hmm. Reminds me of H.P Lovecraft's short story "Rats in the walls". Take a look:

Oh god, I hate reading these on a display. Can you give me the gist of it Big Grin

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Whoah that story is great! (If a bit difficult to understand at times if English isn't your first language due to Lovecrafts uh... elaborate style.) Wouldn't be surprised if it served as inspiration for AMfP.
Quote: Haunting Ground
Thanks! Smile
07-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Lovecraft was translated on every possible language, I believe.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(07-17-2012, 03:08 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(07-17-2012, 10:44 AM)Deep One Wrote: Hmm. Reminds me of H.P Lovecraft's short story "Rats in the walls". Take a look:

Oh god, I hate reading these on a display. Can you give me the gist of it Big Grin
Protagonist moved from Massachusetts to his ancestral estate in England,
known as Exham Priory. On several occasions, the protagonist and his
cats, specifically his favorite cat Nigger-Man(I just love Lovecraft), hear the eponymous sounds of rats
scurrying behind the walls.
Upon investigating further, he finds that
his family maintained an underground city for centuries and that the
inhabitants of the city fed on human flesh, even going so far as to
raise generations of human cattle, who eventually began to de-evolve due
to their sub-human living conditions.
In the end, the protagonist, unknowingly maddened by the revelations of
his family's past and driven by the stronger force of his own heritage,
attacks one of his friends in the dark of the cavernous city and begins
eating him. He is subsequently subdued and locked in a mental
institution. Soon after, Exham Priory is destroyed. The protagonist of
the story maintains his innocence, proclaiming that it was "the rats,
the rats in the walls," who ate the man. The rats still persist,
however, as he continues to be plagued by the sounds and sights of rats
in the walls of his cell.

Thank you, wikipedia.

I suggest you to visit nearest library and get some of his books. If you like Amnesia and its story, you will love Lovecraft's work!
07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Find
GraphicsKid Offline

Threads: 34

I hope they change how the music is played. I hated how the music changed when there was a monster around, so you always knew when it was safe to move out by when the music returned to normal.

What they NEED to do, is make the music change based on what the player SEES or HEARS. Also, I think for the most part, they should get rid of the spawn noises the monster makes. What I think would be more terrifying than hearing a monster growl is hear nothing at all, save for the soft scraping of its feet on the floor. So if you think you hear something, you don't say "hey what was that? Was that a monster? I'd better hide," you instead say "..........uh oh." Big Grin

As much as people on these forums love to bash Dead Space, I still want to say that what DS is GREAT at is making the music follow the action on screen. A monster can be sneaking up on you, and the music doesn't BBREEEEEEPPPPPPP until you turn around and see it.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 04:13 AM by GraphicsKid.)
07-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

(07-18-2012, 04:11 AM)GraphicsKid Wrote: They should get rid of the spawn noises the monster makes. What I think would be more terrifying than hearing a monster growl is hear nothing at all, save for the soft scraping of its feet on the floor. So if you think you hear something, you don't say "hey what was that? Was that a monster? I'd better hide," you instead say "..........uh oh." Big Grin
I'm kinda against that idea due to it's just plain unfair in my opinion. Imagine all the encounters in TDD without the spawn noises. (Guest Room, Basically the whole Prison, Sewer) That seems just annoying, at least it would be for me.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
07-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Find
GraphicsKid Offline

Threads: 34

(07-18-2012, 04:17 AM)Potato Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 04:11 AM)GraphicsKid Wrote: They should get rid of the spawn noises the monster makes. What I think would be more terrifying than hearing a monster growl is hear nothing at all, save for the soft scraping of its feet on the floor. So if you think you hear something, you don't say "hey what was that? Was that a monster? I'd better hide," you instead say "..........uh oh." Big Grin
I'm kinda against that idea due to it's just plain unfair in my opinion. Imagine all the encounters in TDD without the spawn noises. (Guest Room, Basically the whole Prison, Sewer) That seems just annoying, at least it would be for me.
They'd still make other noises. The devs might have to put more work into environment sounds then, like the squeak of a rusty door signalling either a monster's presence, or a gust of wind, you be the judge. Wink
07-18-2012, 04:38 AM
Find
Joshua Offline

Threads: 1

Personally what I'd like to see is a more open environment, at least in some areas. ATDD was broken down into one area at a time with a pretty direct channel of advancement.

The "enemies" should also perhaps be a little more inquisitive. Dunno - but I'm certain the guys at frictional will give us a good what for. Looking forward to the future.
07-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I'd like to see a monster that is not human, creature, or pig. Like a steam punk-ish looking robot that is alive... and SCARY.

That would make me shit myself, being chased by a robot that wants to murder me.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
07-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Find