Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(11-07-2012, 09:16 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(11-07-2012, 04:40 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: They stated you would never have a clear line of sight which I find absolutely terrifying.
Going around a corner while shrouded in darkness will make you bump into enemies allot a with no room to run.
Where did they say this? Where? WHERE??!!
In the above interview as I read it before a few months ago
11-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

Looking back at the trailer, I noticed something off about the monster in the ending scene.

Spoiler below!
It appears, after frame jumping, the monster either hasn't been animated, or has a large, square head with several static body parts. It looks like it just slides across the floor. It is also quite tall.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
11-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

There is no monster in the ending scene.

[Image: p229xcq]
11-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

Look through the grates.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
11-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Find
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3

Kreekakon Wrote:Subtle environmental changes in my opinion are effective due to something most commonly referred to as "mind-fucks". The game will usually give you no obvious indicator that something has happened, but most people will be able to perceive that something is off here, and/or seriously wrong. This will likely lead to the player becoming paranoid about how far this small change will go. Will the statue that moved a bit come alive to chase you later? Will it do it again? How bad would it be then? That's what I think causes these changes to be scary in my onion.
Yeah, +100500 to the idea of mindfucks. Those are really terrifying when you know something IS there and you desperately try to find it, focusing on the details, and then when you finally find it... you shit bricks, literally. Even looking on a still image! Imagine same thing happening in a totally live environment where you're in real danger (as a player).

It's like that Alexander's face changing on a picture, or spiders appearing on the staircase, those moments are AWESOME (even though, you can accidentally skip those if you don't pay attention)

(11-08-2012, 04:24 AM)Potato Wrote: Look through the grates.
We need someone to magnify and analyse the frames, because I tried right now and there is no way you can get any glimpse of what's going through those grates while watching it on youtube
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM by Istrebitel.)
11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: We need someone to magnify and analyse the frames, because I tried right now and there is no way you can get any glimpse of what's going through those grates while watching it on youtube
Dont think even that would work... There's definitely something there - about human-sized or maybe a bit bigger and skin-colored - but even in the moment where you can see it the clearest it still looks oddly blurred. And it doesn't look like its just the bad video quality either(well it could be...), it looks more like a motion blur of sorts. Maybe its some sort of insanity-effect you get from looking directly at the monster? Or maybe its a hint at the nature of the monsters?
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2012, 11:46 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

im not sure i can see the monster. also my complaint is that exaggerated breathing, should be more subtle and how can the monster not hear it? i also heard they are using some sounds from warcraft 3?.
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Find
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3

My honest prediction is that they just used a "default" model with all-black texture. So that no matter what happens, monster's appearance wont get leaked in the trailer. Monster may as well not be yet in game, like not yet modelled in or not yet finalised.

(11-08-2012, 12:13 PM)wtfomg Wrote: im not sure i can see the monster. also my complaint is that exaggerated breathing, should be more subtle and how can the monster not hear it? i also heard they are using some sounds from warcraft 3?.
Oh, that's a common misconception. They often say "This TV show uses sound from game X"! Actually, what happens is there are common sound banks, that contain generic sounds like "alarm siren, pig squal, metal clash, door bell, electric hum" which are usually licensed from the company who owns rights to them to company who wants to use them. They are often licensed to many companies, not only one. So, both WC3 and Amnesia could have licensed sounds from the same sound bank.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM by Istrebitel.)
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Yeah, exactly. I noticed the pig squeal when he monster appears sounds exactly like an insect-like enemy from the game Risen. (Or was it one of the gothic games?) Funny how it can be used for two such different things and still sound fitting!
11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(11-08-2012, 03:17 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Yeah, exactly. I noticed the pig squeal when he monster appears sounds exactly like an insect-like enemy from the game Risen. (Or was it one of the gothic games?) Funny how it can be used for two such different things and still sound fitting!
Oh... OH. Now that you mentioned it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...fQg#t=135s
These were "molerats" and they indeed do sound familiar.

(11-08-2012, 04:24 AM)Potato Wrote: Look through the grates.
No monsters were shown. Because of obvious reasons.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2012, 11:11 PM by Kein.)
11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Find