Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

But TDD had 3 main endings, they all were different. In two of them, Daniel died.
So if Daniel was to be a character in AMFP, it would mean that there was only 1 right ending to the first one.

03-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

There are 3 Daniels in A Machine For Pigs. Two ghosts and one living. You saw that ghost in the trailer, did you not? =O

On a more serious note, seeing as something actually came out of this, then yes, good point. We know that there will be certain few references to The Dark Descent, so I wonder what exactly those will be. Will there be any note doing a subtle reference to Daniel? Did he do his revenge? Ha, would it not be awesome if there was a system which analyzed our way of playing A Machine For Pigs and predicting the ending we would have chosen in The Dark Descent, and change the reference as appropriate?

Though I doubt the references will be anything like that. Probably more generic and subtle.

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
03-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/...e-amnesia/

Longer version of the interview posted a few pages back.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
03-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Find
Respekt Offline

Threads: 0

(03-16-2013, 06:06 AM)Potato Wrote: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/...e-amnesia/

Longer version of the interview posted a few pages back.
Version of the interview is the same and has been ... The full version is not yet have posted, I do not know where you get the idea that it is complete?
03-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Strange that the devs more enjoy playing AAA-games like Far Cry 3.
How the hell could they make a "very different" game like AMFP then?

I think, most indie games are not just more experimental, they are also better. Or does anyone think, EA could make a better horror game like Dark Descent? Even more frustrating is the fact that a lot of *TRASH* on the TV and game console do get a (big!) budget to produce their FOUL.

Indies are smaller and risk more experimental ideas, and what we see is Penumbra or Amnesia with VERY emotional and intellectual story and mediation!

I think, games should be seen as art. Not like just playing for fun.
03-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-16-2013, 11:06 AM)Googolplex Wrote: Strange that the devs more enjoy playing AAA-games like Far Cry 3.

I think, most indie games are not just more experimental, they are also better. Or does anyone think, EA could make a better horror game like Dark Descent? Even more frustrating is the fact that a lot of *TRASH* on the TV and game console do get a (big!) budget to produce their FOUL.

Indies are smaller and risk more experimental ideas, and what we see is Penumbra or Amnesia with VERY emotional and intellectual story and mediation!

I agree. Indie developer makes good games, not unlike big companies that made bad games. I also agree that games should be seen as art. But, where do you get the info that TCR enjoy playing AAA games more?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

(03-16-2013, 12:09 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 11:06 AM)Googolplex Wrote: Strange that the devs more enjoy playing AAA-games like Far Cry 3.

I agree. Indie developer makes good games, not unlike big companies that made bad games. I also agree that games should be seen as art. But, where do you get the info that TCR enjoy playing AAA games more?

Dan Pinchbeck said in that Rock Paper Shotgun interview that he usually plays AAA-action games rather than games like Dear Esther. But that shouldn't have an impact on their abilities to create good horror games.
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:But, where do you get the info that TCR enjoy playing AAA games more?

Dan Pinchbeck talks about his love of games like Far Cry, DOOM, and Metro often in interviews and on Twitter.

Quote:Indies are smaller and risk more experimental ideas, and what we see is Penumbra or Amnesia with VERY emotional and intellectual story and mediation!

Yes. Independent studios are more likely to try weirder things. But there's no black and white "Indie good, AAA bad." As you are trying to say. There are plenty of good and bad examples from either side. Not every indie game is Amnesia, and not every big budget game is Call of Duty.

In fact, go look into "Spec Ops: The Line." It's a shooter that is made as a deconstruction of the genre. It starts off looking like any old shooter and then gradually becomes more disturbing and surreal. It's a great experience and the developers had the full support of their publisher, 2K games.
03-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Of course, there are also some very good AAA action games like "The Witcher" or "Tomb Raider" for example. But I can't say that I enjoy them more like Amnesia. The only positive to AAA games is that they are normally longer. Thomas said it is wrong to make games longer because of the story impact. But I think, as longer a game is, as more experience it is.

But that's not automatically right. When I play an RPG or Adventure, I don't want to finish after 10 hours. A good game should have at least 30 hours. I remember good old games where you need to play over 60 hours without taking a bad affect to story.

An Amnesia game with more than 30 hours would be great, more complex and variety than all before.
03-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

See that's the kind of thought that runs through many larger games that I dislike.

I don't think a longer completion time is a good thing, just for the sake of it. Amnesia is very well paced. It's a short game, but it feels good because it knew not to drag things out.

Meanwhile. There's a game like Alice: Madness Returns. Smooth gameplay, beautiful art, dark story. But it's so poorly paced due to gameplay padding that it's hard to enjoy as a single experience. You can pick apart the quality bits, but sitting down to play it in its entirety is not as enjoyable as it should be.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
03-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Find