Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Random Stuff

There are also studies that show that loud and repetitive (pulsating) rhythms cause people to become horny. Add in a little alcohol and the presence of vag and there's nightclubs in a nutshell, so it's not like it's a huge mystery. I agree with you anyway. I especially don't understand how people can tolerate extremely boring music if the lyrics are "good" (and have a "message") and if there are no lyrics or lyrics that are mostly nonsense or sonic then they just won't listen to it. I question why they don't just read bad poetry if they don't care about the music at all.

EDIT: Agree with Chrono regarding the catchiness of music. Know what else is catchy? HIV.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM by Bridge.)
05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(05-27-2013, 06:27 PM)Chronofluff Wrote: catchy =/= good music

I don't even see a correlation.

you don't have to enjoy it for a biological response to a deep rhythmic thrumming to take place in your body and mind

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 07:05 PM by Streetboat.)
05-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-27-2013, 07:09 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 06:35 PM)Bridge Wrote: There are also studies that show that loud and repetitive (pulsating) rhythms cause people to become horny. Add in a little alcohol and the presence of vag and there's nightclubs in a nutshell, so it's not like it's a huge mystery. I agree with you anyway. I especially don't understand how people can tolerate extremely boring music if the lyrics are "good" (and have a "message") and if there are no lyrics or lyrics that are mostly nonsense or sonic then they just won't listen to it. I question why they don't just read bad poetry if they don't care about the music at all.

EDIT: Agree with Chrono regarding the catchiness of music. Know what else is catchy? HIV.

That's incredibly interesting, never knew that. Thanks for sharing Bridge, explains a fair bit.

Actually take what I said with a grain of salt. I'm certain I got it from a reputable source some years ago but surprisingly I'm unable to verify it now. It's not that far-fetched though, seeing as how sex is all about repetitive rhythms.
05-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

For those who might be still wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcZUPDMXzJ8

le nostalgia is orgasmic
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 07:54 PM by Danny Boy.)
05-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Website Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I just wanted your guys attention for this amazing person:

http://www.youtube.com/markiplierGAME/

I'm pretty sure a lot of you already know him, but I'm just going to post this for everyone who doesn't.
This guy lost his father at a rather young age to cancer. Later he was diagnosed with a tumor with the size of his fist. He went trough some tough times. When he was recovering in the hospital, he decided to create a youtube channel, named Markiplier! He now has over 400k subscribers and is still growing really fast. He also hosts charity livestreams every month and donates a lot to those charities himself. (I've donated 100 dollars so far, because I almost lost my aunt to cancer and I don't want other people to suffer the same way as she did.)
He is just an awesome person who deserves a shoutout. So If you didn't know him, please go check out his channel, or at least join his monthly livestreams and donate whatever you can to the charity.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 09:24 PM by OriginalUsername.)
05-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(05-27-2013, 06:35 PM)Bridge Wrote: There are also studies that show that loud and repetitive (pulsating) rhythms cause people to become horny

dammit!

i like listening to loud repetitive pulsating rhytms Sad

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM by Nice.)
05-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(05-27-2013, 05:29 PM)Bridge Wrote: I concur with Chronofox. Not for any elitist reasons, I just don't have patience for that shit. Not all pop is bad, but the pop that actually is good is well composed and not intended only (or at all) to accompany dancing. I just don't see why I should listen to music that gives me a headache and makes me feel completely neutral emotionally when I could be having a life-changing experience. It's not my fault I'm fatally serious about everything.

Hearts to you guys, hearts to you. Heart Heart

Pop usually leaves me slightly amused at best and seriously annoyed at worst... to me, catchy means it's gonna get stuck in my head, which means annoying. Don't see the appeal at all!

(05-27-2013, 06:10 PM)Chronofluff Wrote: Also I never understood why people enjoy catchy beats so much. Studies have been done, I believe, on how pop music can put people into a steady and almost hypnotic mood. I'd rather listen to music that allows me to experience a whole range of emotions, as this creates a more rewarding feeling. The pleasure gained from enjoying and understanding a structurally complex piece of music or a composition with a dynamic mélange of emotions is incomparable.

I sometimes enter a hypnotic mood when listening to my favorite music (yes, with all the goodies we enjoy so much!). Technically, hypnosis and "steady, zombie-like mood" are different things. There's dissociation and detachment - coping mechanisms that can be used to deal with stress. While hypnosis is just immersion. They don't exclude each other, necessarily, they're just different things.

but for some reason you never comment on my or Bridge's music in the music thread. meanie.

(05-27-2013, 06:35 PM)Bridge Wrote: There are also studies that show that loud and repetitive (pulsating) rhythms cause people to become horny. Add in a little alcohol and the presence of vag and there's nightclubs in a nutshell, so it's not like it's a huge mystery.

Here are my thoughts on how this could work:

Many frequenters of night clubs might be insecure. They need to overcome their insecurities by doing something that goes against these insecurities. They achieve this by drugging themselves with rhythms and alcohol, so as to numb themselves to the unpleasant feelings that would accompany the breaking of personal borders. Of course, once sufficiently drugged, overcompensation can take its toll on their future.

That's the first thing. The second thing is that teens have a need for a feeling of belonging to a larger whole. When you and everyone around you are submitting to a single rhythm, this feeling is accomplished.

How's that for a rationalization? Tongue

EDIT: wait a minute, this is the random thread? oh shi--

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-27-2013, 09:31 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: Pop usually leaves me slightly amused at best and seriously annoyed at worst... to me, catchy means it's gonna get stuck in my head, which means annoying. Don't see the appeal at all!

Clearly you've not heard The Planets.

All jokes aside I disagree slightly in that catchy is bad because it gets stuck in your head. I have Beethoven playing in my head basically all day and am not annoyed because it isn't annoying music. I sing along to basically everything I listen to, even 12 tone music. But I agree with the general idea you were trying to relate.

The rest of your post is good, but I can do nothing but silently nod in agreement so I won't just reiterate what you said.

EDIT: Not just Beethoven though obviously. I'm on a bit of a LV binge right now and he is consistently among my favorite composers, but the point is I quite often have something playing in the background so to speak.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM by Bridge.)
05-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Are you fucking kidding me? I happen to have a nostalgia urge towards Dumbo's Pink Elephant Parade, And this happens!!! He evens mentions a pink elephant at 10:35!

People... I think my subconscious is able to see the future.

(Besides it fits perfectly the theme of your conversation!)
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM by Danny Boy.)
05-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Website Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(05-27-2013, 09:44 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 09:31 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: Pop usually leaves me slightly amused at best and seriously annoyed at worst... to me, catchy means it's gonna get stuck in my head, which means annoying. Don't see the appeal at all!

Clearly you've not heard The Planets.

I was talking more about the genre of pop music than popular music in general, but who cares; that sounds AWESOME.

Thanks, btw. Smile

(05-27-2013, 09:44 PM)Bridge Wrote: All jokes aside I disagree slightly in that catchy is bad because it gets stuck in your head. I have Beethoven playing in my head basically all day and am not annoyed because it isn't annoying music. I sing along to basically everything I listen to, even 12 tone music. But I agree with the general idea you were trying to relate.

That reminds me... apart from classical I have always had an affinity for genres and songs that would fit right into the category of "catchy, therefore annoying" music. I particularly enjoy electronic genres.

I think you're right. Now that I think about it, it's not the catchiness that matters, but the idea that the music proposes. The fresher the idea seems to you at the time of listening, the more stimulating the music becomes. And the more beaten the idea, the more annoying it becomes. At least, that's how it is for me.

For example, I regularly cycle between Baroque and Romantic music. I used to cycle between orchestral and electronic. I get annoyed if I listen to one piece, one composer, or even one genre for too long. In this respect, I still prefer classical music in general to other genres due to how long-lasting it can be. It's like the "slow food" of music. It takes longer to take in, but lasts longer as a result. Yeah, basically, I consume music like a hungry insatiable beast. Tongue

^(;,;)^
05-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Find