Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Random Stuff

No what I'm saying is that at it's core all music is equal no matter how it's made or how passionate the person who made it is about music, it's all really just noise. Yes the way people arrange their "noises" varies but it's still all really just arranged noise no matter how it's made or what intentions the creator had, it's all just sound waves. In this aspect, yes I consider all music to be equal, it really is all just noise no matter how intricately it's design. Sure if I know the creator is passionate about what they're doing then it can make me like an artist or an album a lot more, but even if I know someone's a money grubbing asshole that doesn't really care about what they're doing if the sound appeals to me then I'm still going to listen to it.

Also there is a lot of pop that is "intellegent" even if it's not what's played on the radio, if you look more into subgenres like art pop there actually is a lot of thought put into it.

Posting Freak
05-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

If all music is equal because it is made up of sound waves, then all books are equal because they are made up of words. Right? Yes, I actually agree. However, what makes these things art is the ideas behind them. In some cases the meaning is very obscure or purely musical but the organization of "sound waves" into meaningful concepts is what music is. I just question how it could be considered useful to think of art the way you do. That being said, I agree with you to a very minor extent about liking an artist even if their motives are suspect. Technically, it doesn't really matter what the artist is trying to convey, but I feel the music should at least convey something. What your definition of "convey" is is up to you, but whatever it is that pop music normally conveys can usually not be considered anything more profound than "I am happy" or "I am sad". Now I ask you, would you rather read soup cooking instructions than I dunno Mark Twain?

EDIT: And yes, I am familiar with art pop and other pop variants that aren't strictly speaking pop. Which is why I do not consider them "pop" as such. Here I use "pop" only to refer to top 40 music.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM by Bridge.)
05-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(05-28-2013, 06:08 PM)Kman Wrote: No what I'm saying is that at it's core all music is equal no matter how it's made or how passionate the person who made it is about music, it's all really just noise. Yes the way people arrange their "noises" varies but it's still all really just arranged noise no matter how it's made or what intentions the creator had, it's all just sound waves. In this aspect, yes I consider all music to be equal, it really is all just noise no matter how intricately it's design.

So if I shit on paper, then you'll admit it's equal to the Mona Lisa? Sweet.
05-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Well yeah that's what I'm saying, the majority of the time I'd much rather listen to something complex that conveys well thought out ideas, but like I said sometimes that isn't appropriate or I'm not in the mood, sometimes I want something simplistic that I don't need to put much thought into cause that sort of stuff can be fun. Like I love amnesia (obviously since I'm here) because of how deep an emotional it's story is, but that doesn't mean I still can't enjoy simplistic arcade games and I still believe smaller more gameplay based games that don't have a whole lot of depth to them can still be fun and have their own merits.

Oh well though, I get the feeling we're not gonna agree on this haha. I get your point but I still do believe when it's done well pop can still be great

Posting Freak
05-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Website Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

I'm celebrating my 1000th post for the third time now.
05-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(05-28-2013, 07:27 PM)Kman Wrote: Well yeah that's what I'm saying, the majority of the time I'd much rather listen to something complex that conveys well thought out ideas, but like I said sometimes that isn't appropriate or I'm not in the mood, sometimes I want something simplistic that I don't need to put much thought into cause that sort of stuff can be fun. Like I love amnesia (obviously since I'm here) because of how deep an emotional it's story is, but that doesn't mean I still can't enjoy simplistic arcade games and I still believe smaller more gameplay based games that don't have a whole lot of depth to them can still be fun and have their own merits.

Oh well though, I get the feeling we're not gonna agree on this haha. I get your point but I still do believe when it's done well pop can still be great

Oh, my Kman, I'm quite agree with you: Deus Ex Human revolution is a more-or-less complicated game, with lots of story and stuff. Painkiller is a lot more simplier and it's basicaly killing everyone and surviving. Both of them are great. So, the key isn't to listen/play a certain style of game/music, it's to know what games (or music) to enjoy.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
05-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

people

you think too much

it wrinkle your pretty faces

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

[Image: tumblr_mni392ztBF1rf0k1vo1_500.png]

alias is jell jell

Posting Freak
05-29-2013, 05:40 AM
Website Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

[Image: jALYM.gif]

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
05-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

[Image: luv.gif]
05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Find