Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

PewDiePie arguing
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Amnesia and Pewdiepie

(08-30-2013, 10:23 AM)felixmole Wrote: You watch walkthrough part 1 of Far Cry 3, you hardly get spoiled. However, on a game like AMFP which relies on surprise, it's completely different.

After all, all these hundred thousand of people who have watched this video lack that common sense, right?

Not really, they might just be people who know they might be spoiled, but don't care, and just want to watch the video anyways. I'm just saying, people who put up video walkthroughs are showing them to people who want to see them, and may not mind getting spoiled. There are people like this who just want a sneak peek, and don't mind.

It just irritates me whenever on Youtube I see comment something along the lines of "Why are you spoiling everything!" when in reality if you don''t want to be spoiled you should just stay away from any form of walkthrough video, as it is usually content straight from the game, and bound to have spoilers to some degree.

It really is "If you don't want to be spoiled don't watch the video." People shouldn't watch it, and go complaining that they got spoiled because they chose to watch a walkthrough video.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

(08-30-2013, 10:45 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(08-30-2013, 10:23 AM)felixmole Wrote: You watch walkthrough part 1 of Far Cry 3, you hardly get spoiled. However, on a game like AMFP which relies on surprise, it's completely different.

After all, all these hundred thousand of people who have watched this video lack that common sense, right?

Not really, they might just be people who know they might be spoiled, but don't care, and just want to watch the video anyways. I'm just saying, people who put up video walkthroughs are showing them to people who want to see them, and may not mind getting spoiled. There are people like this who just want a sneak peek, and don't mind.

It just irritates me whenever on Youtube I see comment something along the lines of "Why are you spoiling everything!" when in reality if you don''t want to be spoiled you should just stay away from any form of walkthrough video, as it is usually content straight from the game, and bound to have spoilers to some degree.

It really is "If you don't want to be spoiled don't watch the video." People shouldn't watch it, and go complaining that they got spoiled because they chose to watch a walkthrough video.

You have to take the psychological and social pressure into account as well. Many people probably don't want to watch it in reality, but since it's so tempting and so many people are watching it as well, they might too, and thus may also regret it in return. In those terms it isn't really fair.

08-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(08-30-2013, 10:49 AM)GrAVit Wrote: You have to take the psychological and social pressure into account as well. Many people probably don't want to watch it in reality, but since it's so tempting and so many people are watching it as well, they might too, and thus may also regret it in return. In those terms it isn't really fair.

I cannot say anything against that logically, because it's usually differing depending on each person, but all I can say is:

If you really cared about not spoiling yourself strong enough, you just really wouldn't go out, and do it. It was very tempting for me as well yes, but I held out, because I cared strongly enough about not spoiling myself. No one is forcing you to watch the video aside from yourself.

This is slightly similar to saying that a new MMO is out, and everyone is playing it, so you can't resist, and decide to subscribe. Do you think it is more proper to blame the MMO for existing that spent your hard-earned money, or yourself? Should be obvious.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM by Kreekakon.)
08-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Find
AdamD Offline

Threads: 7

(08-30-2013, 10:54 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(08-30-2013, 10:49 AM)GrAVit Wrote: You have to take the psychological and social pressure into account as well. Many people probably don't want to watch it in reality, but since it's so tempting and so many people are watching it as well, they might too, and thus may also regret it in return. In those terms it isn't really fair.

I cannot say anything against that logically, because it's usually differing depending on each person, but all I can say is:

If you really cared about not spoiling yourself strong enough, you just really wouldn't go out, and do it. It was very tempting for me as well yes, but I held out, because I cared strongly enough about not spoiling myself. No one is forcing you to watch the video aside from yourself.

This is slightly similar to saying that a new MMO is out, and everyone is playing it, so you can't resist, and decide to subscribe. Do you think it is more proper to blame the MMO for existing that spent your hard-earned money, or yourself? Should be obvious.

I get your point, however, I felt angry yesterday (now I'm fully relaxed, with no temptation to see the video) because this community has been waiting for a year and half. People twisting their minds, translating latin songs, codes to get texts, actively participating in Q&A, suffering the delays...

And now, less than two weeks before release, a bunch of 12 years old and this """"funny"""" youtuber get to see it first? Well, in my most humble opinion, it just isn't fair. Just to get some more sales (which I'm sure they could also get if PDP released the video after the release), they piss off their community.

Again, I repit: I'm not exactly a PDP hater (I watched his videos some time ago), but, if you say you delivered reviews, give them to some people who actually knows how to make a review without spoiling, talking about how the game is technically, etc. With some footage, yes, but irrelevant footage.

"Dreaming is easy. Waking up is hard..."
08-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(08-30-2013, 11:04 AM)AdamD Wrote: Again, I repit: I'm not exactly a PDP hater (I watched his videos some time ago), but, if you say you delivered reviews, give them to some people who actually knows how to make a review without spoiling, talking about how the game is technically, etc. With some footage, yes, but irrelevant footage.

I do agree that he may not be the best choice quality-wise for making reviews (It's not even a review), but still he has 12 million subscribers.

Why not just look at it this way? FG, and TCR worked really hard on this game, and want it to sell really well. The way they can get it spread to enough massive audiences is through Pewdiepie. Why aren't we feeling happy for them that this will get them a ton of sales, and make their hard work pay off?

Really I think that's the main concern here I can't believe we didn't bring up sooner: Let Pewdie play however he wants, let the bros enjoy his videos. This will make hard work FG, and TCR all the more fruitful because they will get rewarded more for their hard work marketing-wise which I'm sure they certainly deserve. We should feel happy for them to be honest that they're able to get so much marketing out to 12 million people.

As for deeply respecting the game, and appreciating it in-depth...well they can leave that to us. Showing the game to Pewdie will not ruin our own journeys of the game, and we can still give the devs our support on a more sentimental level.

In any way though, I'll still respect however FG, and TCR decide to handle this Pewdie video business.

----------------------------------

Also, if you're talking about it being unfair, I really think this is perfectly fair.

Pewdie makes gameplay videos that his bros want to see, and we don't. How would this be counteracted to become "fair"? Give us a gameplay video? But I think it's already clear that the people on this forum don't want to be spoiled, and don't want that anyways.

So to be completely frank...I think in reality we're actually completely content with what we have at hand right here...a release date, pre-orders, and what-not. The extra gameplay video from Pewdie is something we never wanted, so there's no point in saying it's not fair, because it wasn't meant for us plus we already have everything we want already.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM by Kreekakon.)
08-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

This
(08-30-2013, 11:20 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: FG, and TCR worked really hard on this game, and want it to sell really well
and this
(08-30-2013, 11:20 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: As for deeply respecting the game, and appreciating it in-depth...well they can leave that to us.

Case closed. Well, it should be, but probably won't be. Someone's gotta have the last say Smile

08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Comeon guys Smile

We always market our games as much as we can and before the release they have been 100% spoiled. We (with assistance) have sent out the game to LOTS of places, hopefully all your favorite magazines, sites, blogs and what not will post gameplay, previews, screens, articles and eventually reviews and full playthroughs, in fact they have been a bit slow so far as they have had the opportunity to begin with it most of the week. The reason why you see Let's players posting material first is because they have been faster at producing content using the review build.

I know and understand the frustration and that you get caught in the middle when we try to make sure people know about the game and you try to avoid knowing about it. I mean only last weekend I talked to my dear old dad and without any warning he spoiled how the F1 race in SPA ended... I was about to watch it as soon as we had ended the conversation. I only anticipated the race for two weeks, so yes, can understand the frustration if you wait 1.5 years.

When you are here on the forum it feels like everyone knows about the game, but unfortunately this is not the case. You do have to do everything you can to make sure at least some people on the big and wide Internet knows about it. It is not possible to only do a game, you have to let people know about it as well. This is one of our main points when asked for advice on what is important when you try to make it as a game developer!

//edit removed the giveaway thing
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 02:54 PM by jens.)
08-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Website Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(08-30-2013, 12:53 PM)jens Wrote: Comeon guys Smile

We always market our games as much as we can and before the release they have been 100% spoiled. We (with assistance) have sent out the game to LOTS of places, hopefully all your favorite magazines, sites, blogs and what not will post gameplay, previews, screens, articles and eventually reviews and full playthroughs, in fact they have been a bit slow so far as they have had the opportunity to begin with it most of the week. The reason why you see Let's players posting material first is because they have been faster at producing content using the review build.

I know and understand the frustration and that you get caught in the middle when we try to make sure people know about the game and you try to avoid knowing about it. I mean only last weekend I talked to my dear old dad and without any warning he spoiled how the F1 race in SPA ended... I was about to watch it as soon as we had ended the conversation. I only anticipated the race for two weeks, so yes, can understand the frustration if you wait 1.5 years.

When you are here on the forum it feels like everyone knows about the game, but unfortunately this is not the case. You do have to do everything you can to make sure at least some people on the big and wide Internet knows about it. It is not possible to only do a game, you have to let people know about it as well. This is one of our main points when asked for advice on what is important when you try to make it as a game developer!

As a small appreciation that you will please bare with us and endure the pain until the release: The first 10 to send me a PM here on the forum gets an activation key for the final game?

You guys are awesome. Heart
08-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Find
TuBBe Offline

Threads: 0

Im not really fan of any of those videos, where people just film themselves playing, and then laugh like retards and cuss some random swearwords every now and then. Then again, i dont have to watch them and publicity is always publicity, which equals bigger community and more communitymade stuff.

Did someone actually lose something in this scenario? I didint.
08-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

[quote='jens' pid='253774' dateline='1377863586']
Comeon guys Smile

<snip>

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Jens.

I have to ask though - are you putting any kind of restrictions on LP'ers in terms of what they can show? I'm fine with them showing 15 to 25 minutes or the first part of the game, so I'm hoping that you're not allowing any to do any more than that before the game is actually released.

[quote]As a small appreciation that you will please bare with us and endure the pain until the release: The first 10 to send me a PM here on the forum gets an activation key for the final game?
[/quote]

A very generous offer, but speaking personally, as I've already already pre-ordered it from the Humble Store I'll increase the chances of others by not sending you a PM. Smile
08-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Find