Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: SOMA Discussion Thread

(10-14-2013, 05:06 AM)Alardem Wrote: How does "remote" not rule out being stuck way out in deep space? Hell, for all we know they could be on another planet that would take months for any communications to be made back home.

My science fiction bias says so. lol

I understand, you can have remote areas of space and you could have a research facility (in the form of a space station) there but...they used facility and not research station. By using facility it makes me think of a place that's rooted in some planet.
10-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(10-14-2013, 06:03 AM)Cuyir Wrote:
(10-14-2013, 05:06 AM)Alardem Wrote: How does "remote" not rule out being stuck way out in deep space? Hell, for all we know they could be on another planet that would take months for any communications to be made back home.

My science fiction bias says so. lol

I understand, you can have remote areas of space and you could have a research facility (in the form of a space station) there but...they used facility and not research station. By using facility it makes me think of a place that's rooted in some planet.

Counterpoint: The UAC Research Facility on Mars. Or a facility on Pluto. :p There are at least 8 other planets to choose from in the solar system alone, and that's not counting the numerous moons and asteroids there. And I somehow doubt this is a setting where people can zip across the galaxy on a whim - wherever PATHOS-2 is, it'll likely take a damn long time before a search party can reach them.

We don't even know exactly where that report comes from. Perhaps it could be like the WY corporation's Gateway Station from the Alien series: the SOMA organization's base could either be on Earth or near it (orbital or moon-base), and they have numerous facilities spread throughout space.

In any case, I think we can rule out a space ship. Sorry, fans of System Shock 2 and Dead Space. :p
10-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

I wonder if there are still people who think this'll be System Shock 3.

10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

Is there really a "soma"-organisation? In the mockingbird file there is a organisation called "Omicron". And I think it'll take place on a spaceship or station.
10-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Removed all unrelated/off-topic stuff and arguments. As Paddy, Kreek and David said before me, back on topic guys! Wink
10-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Find
MegaScience Offline

I'd see structures like what we saw being more likely tunneled into ground than built into space, as they shouldn't need to accommodate for a human if they were to make such odd expansions. I know what was shown isn't what we'll be seeing, but you could assume the individual models/structures have some baring on the direction of the project currently.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM by MegaScience.)
10-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Actually, I take back my statement about the possibility of being on a space ship/station: I remember one of the Frictional devs talking about having an interest in Zero-G environments, and how that could play a role in the 'Super-Secret' Project.

A real zero-g environment
10-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

@Alardem: Technically... that proves i'm right lol. I was saying how normally, when people use the word ''facility" it's to describe an area that's rooted in a planet or anywhere else, not in a space ship/station.

Zero- g in a horror game would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I remember feeling so helpless during the zero G areas in the Dead Space series.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2013, 04:02 PM by Cuyir.)
10-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Fun fact: System Shock 2 was originally going to have a zero-gravity level, but technological constraints meant that it was replaced by having the gross, organic 'Body of The Many' instead.

Other games that come to mind involving zero-gravity are Crysis (inside the alien spaceship) and Descent (which let you move around from any angle.)
10-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(10-14-2013, 04:00 PM)Cuyir Wrote: @Alardem: Technically... that proves i'm right lol. I was saying how normally, when people use the word ''facility" it's to describe an area that's rooted in a planet or anywhere else, not in a space ship/station.

Zero- g in a horror game would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I remember feeling so helpless during the zero G areas in the Dead Space series.

Maybe I'm weird, but I hate 0g levels in games. They're so cumbersome and unnecessary. "What are we going to do to show off our AAA tech? Oh, throw in a random 0g level and let the helpless little bastard learn about Newton's first law the hard way. Oh, and throw a billion enemies that have superior maneuverability and speed and cackle as they throw their controller through the window. Muwahah!"

Looking at you, Crysis.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Find