Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Switchable Graphics Trouble
Ctrl Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Switchable Graphics Trouble

I'm having the same troubles as conbrio, a black screen in place of anything 3d (the menus, crosshair, sound and stuff loaded) i have the same switchable graphics & gpu's (ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770m and Mobile Intel HD). Initially, the amnesia application would crash upon launch, which i fixed after a few hours of trying to find the right driver, updating it from 8.830.6.1000 to 8.830.6.2000, which it is still at. I've downloaded a bunch of the stuff on this thread, nothing worked. I have an HP dv7 entertainment notebook 6143cl. i have the hp log attached, not sure how to put it in a spoiler.

Edit: Just installed the 1.2 patch, which doesnt run.(SDL.dll is missing, already reinstalled once.) Normal version is still the same. Not exactly sure what to do at this point, maybe i'll look for intel drivers. I'm surprised it doesn't load even on low graphics though, as it recognizes the intel GPU but that is the only one.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.59 KB / Downloads: 127)
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 12:20 AM by Ctrl.)
07-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

I suspect you have Windows 7 x86 so make sure your Intel drivers are updated:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...pe=Drivers

I hope that it will let you update since you have HP. There is a known problem with laptops having at the same time Intel and AMD cards.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM by plutomaniac.)
07-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Find
Ctrl Offline

sorry, the download didn't help. it only outdated the drivers, so the launcher only recognized the "GDI Generic". Now amnesia crashes upon launch like it did before when i had old ATI drivers. Thanks for trying thouhg, im gonna check around the forums some more and see if i can find a solution.

By the way, i managed to open the crash report, which usually freezes, its a little picture of some green monster eating a floppy disc. Heres the error:

exception reason :
caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module <UNKNOWN> at 0023:00000000

i tried clicking the button that lead to the site, but the reporter froze. not sure if this error helps.

also, yet another bit of information, amnesia is the third program that only detects my intel HD card. I don't know if i didn't install the driver properly, or what.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM by Ctrl.)
07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

It is a known problem with laptops having both Intel and AMD cards for graphics(embedded Intel and dedicated AMD). I haven't found a solution yet because I don't have such a laptop. You can play the game though even with the Intel one. But first, it has to be updated to the latest driver, 2361, which supports OpenGL games.
07-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Find
Ctrl Offline

(07-05-2011, 04:05 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: It is a known problem with laptops having both Intel and AMD cards for graphics(embedded Intel and dedicated AMD). I haven't found a solution yet because I don't have such a laptop. You can play the game though even with the Intel one. But first, it has to be updated to the latest driver, 2361, which supports OpenGL games.

ok thanks i'll try it out on my intel. but if it recognizes intel, why does the black screen still show? is it the driver?

07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

yes, in order for the game to play you need to have Intel driver v2361 installed. You currently have v2342 installed.
07-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Find
Ctrl Offline

Aha! i ran driver sweeper, rebooted, installed new Intel AND ATI drivers, rebooted and that seemed to do the trick. It still doesn't recognize ATI card in the launcher, but it can run on all high settings, so i suppose that isn't a problem. Here are the specific driver downloads i used for Windows 7 64 bit x86:

Intel : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...pe=Drivers (I don't actually know the specific model of my integrated card beyond that it is Intel HD Graphics Family, according to device manager)

ATI : http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm (the first download, vista will work for windows 7)

thanks so much for your help, i love amnesia & frictional games. i'm going to go scare the hell out of myself in HD now.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM by Ctrl.)
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

good, have fun playing the game! Smile
07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Find
jslim Offline

Threads: 0

(07-05-2011, 09:29 PM)Ctrl Wrote: Aha! i ran driver sweeper, rebooted, installed new Intel AND ATI drivers, rebooted and that seemed to do the trick. It still doesn't recognize ATI card in the launcher, but it can run on all high settings, so i suppose that isn't a problem. Here are the specific driver downloads i used for Windows 7 64 bit x86:

Intel : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...pe=Drivers (I don't actually know the specific model of my integrated card beyond that it is Intel HD Graphics Family, according to device manager)

ATI : http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm (the first download, vista will work for windows 7)

thanks so much for your help, i love amnesia & frictional games. i'm going to go scare the hell out of myself in HD now.
so, i'm trying to install those drivers but the first link doesn't work and the second is for a windows vista driver (i have a windows 7), won't that mess up my graphics performance in other programs?
my intel is a HM65 Express Chipset Family (and, by the way, thank you intel for beeing so user-friendly, i've been for about an hour now, looking for the drivers for this chipset and i just can't find them anywhere), my graphic card is a radeon 6770m and i'm not going to unninstall all my drivers just for one game until I'm sure that'll work (yeah, I'm a noob at this). So, if you can, help me here, okay? Wink
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-9942.html
04-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Find