Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Story Preference:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Developed Story
62.75%
32 62.75%
Jumpscares
3.92%
2 3.92%
Balanced Mix
33.33%
17 33.33%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of custom story do you prefer?
ThoseRandomGuyz Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What kind of custom story do you prefer?

Based off of my personal preference, I said mixed. HOWEVER, I will always lean toward a greater story rather than jumpscares. Why? Because a story is what makes a game scary, while jumpscares merely add adrenaline.

Perfect example: I am not scared of scary movies. However, most have jumpscares, and I do flinch (I do not see a way in which one would not), but I am not scared. I'm just startled.

That's why you have to have a compelling and terrifying story with build-up and suspense. That is what makes a game scary. Jumpscares should be used for fillers, to keep players at the edge of their seat. However, they must be used very carefully. A lot of stories nowadays have these scares in abundance, which is incorrect in execution. Instead, they should be used very rarely, and serving the purpose of keeping the player's heart beating quickly. They should be used to keep the players interest in long build-ups. That's it. Story=scary, jumpscare=keeping attention. I think that sums up my opinion fairly well.

I will review all of your custom stories (when I find time!)!
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What kind of custom story do you prefer? - by ThoseRandomGuyz - 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM