Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism

(06-01-2011, 06:27 AM)Russ Money Wrote:
  • Think of every possible situation when making a map.
    People who play your custom story are your hugest variable. Some people like to rush through Amnesia, some people take it slow. Some folk will try their best to "think outside the box." A good example would be a post I saw on another forum where the person made a tower of boxes to get to one of the ceiling holes in Amnesia, to his dismay, it lead to nowhere obviously but, could have been a neat easter egg if Frictional Games were to think someone might look up there. Just assume that someone, somewhere is going to try to pour a bottle of acid on something. It gives your custom story a more immersive feel to get "If I do this, this would happen, I shouldn't do that." rather than "This item cannot be used this way!"
This is something I am trying to pick up on. It requires some extra work (for the mapmaker as well) but rewards people for thinking outside of the box.

As for my own ideas of a good custom story:
Quality over content. It's easy as a mapmaker to create large areas quickly, feeling that it pulls the story forward. These areas however often become repetitive and un-inspired. They come without entities or details giving an empty feel too.

Custom content. It's good to give something new for the player to experience. Linked to the point made below.

Innovative scripting. Innovative scripting does a lot of things. More advanced puzzles, more advanced environments (look at palistov's lightning effects), but something more can also be accomplished (I hope that I manage to pull it off in my new story). A new experience of the game.

All of us have finished the game, played a couple (perhaps several) custom stories. I know that if I hide in the closet the monster can't get to me. If the "monster music" stops the monster have vanished. Insanity isn't that bad at all, since it automatically resets once it hits the bottom. By default there are things which are possible and there are things which are not. People know this. What I am really getting at is that with custom content and innovative scripting you will be able to make the player "re-learn" everything they have learned from amnesia. Creating new "mechanics" for a custom story.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism - by Acies - 06-01-2011, 07:32 PM