Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lighting in AAMFP
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Lighting in AAMFP

I haven't played that far yet, but I started thinking about the lighting in AMFP yesterday. As far as I've played there's some sort of fog around all the time. That fog is colored dark blue/dark cyan - I'm assuming to create some sort of 'stylized darkness' different from the darkness achieved by the omission of lights.
Spoiler below!

[Image: MbH3Ram.jpg]

Just look at this printscreen I took yesterday.

So. Already at that point we have more light than the 'non-light' (= darkness = black in Amnesia. In AMFP we have 'stylized darkness' = dark blue/cyan) in the previous game, since anything other than black is actually light.

Other than that the cyan darkness gives a good background and contrast to the orange lights found in the game. The lantern, for example, shines an orange light and a lot of the industrial lights in the game shine an orange light. There's something about the combo of cyan + orange, which in my opinion, make things look good. Take for example a screenshot from the project I'm working on:
Spoiler below!

[Image: ModDBPir3_1.png]

Other than that I noticed that some of the lights inside the house had a purple+dark red hue to them, which also contrasts the 'background dark cyan/blue' well.

On the whole I think that there's plenty of light in AMFP. Plently of light within the frame of what's considered 'a dark and scary environment' so typically associated with a horror-game. I think that they've thought alot about the colors of the lighting and also about how they can do something interesting with the darkness that is ever-present in horror-games.

I'd have to finish the game to comment further :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Lighting in AAMFP - by Gilligan's Hell - 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
RE: Lighting in AAMFP - by Gotta Ramble - 09-11-2013, 01:03 PM
RE: Lighting in AAMFP - by Gilligan's Hell - 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM
RE: Lighting in AAMFP - by Gotta Ramble - 09-11-2013, 01:08 PM
RE: Lighting in AAMFP - by Gilligan's Hell - 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM
RE: Lighting in AAMFP - by Acies - 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
RE: Lighting in AAMFP - by Gilligan's Hell - 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM