Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(01-07-2013, 08:45 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: I don't think they will release a demo like they did with amnesia TDD

One the one hand, I agree with you seeing that it is supposed to be released early this year.

On the other hand, every other Frictional Games Adventure released a demo first before the game.

A demo would let potential new players see if they want to buy the full game or not. We will have to see what happens.
01-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

(01-07-2013, 09:46 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(01-07-2013, 08:45 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: I don't think they will release a demo like they did with amnesia TDD

One the one hand, I agree with you seeing that it is supposed to be released early this year.

On the other hand, every other Frictional Games Adventure released a demo first before the game.

A demo would let potential new players see if they want to buy the full game or not. We will have to see what happens.

Hope for it though.
But I'm gonna buy the full game anyway so that really doesn't matter that much.
01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

If I saw a pre-order I would immediately buy it pretty much, even though I think I'm going to have a very hard time playing it

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
01-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(01-08-2013, 12:06 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: If I saw a pre-order I would immediately buy it pretty much, even though I think I'm going to have a very hard time playing it

Considering Frictional Games stated they'd make Amnesia 2 with more puzzles and story than the first one, I'd say it's a fact that we all are going to encounter hard times in the game.
01-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

Yeah, I'm buying the pre-order the day it comes out. I'm keeping at least $20 in my pre-paid card I got for Christmas exclusively for the pre-order.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Puzzles aren't really what I was thinking of, puzzles are ok. I'm talking about scares, I had troubles with getting scared from the first half hour of Bioshock..

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013, 03:25 AM by Damascus Rose.)
01-08-2013, 03:25 AM
Find
Looglodex Offline
Banned

(01-08-2013, 03:25 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Puzzles aren't really what I was thinking of, puzzles are ok. I'm talking about scares, I had troubles with getting scared from the first half hour of Bioshock..

Puzzles are even more important than the scares in my opinion, because puzzles are the game. Why I enjoy Penumbra and Amnesia is, because they know to combine good puzzles with fantastic atmosphere and scary horror. But Amnesia was much easier than Penumbra and therefore I think Penumbra was better because it had more puzzles and story.

I like that to operate a crane and set up the boxes, reading user manuals, repair a generator, etc. and use physics to get forward.

When a game is only horror, scares doesn't really work. For example the walking children in AMFP, I think that is a good idea, but not scary because the problem is the game wants to be scary.

A horror game never should want to be scary. Because that would cause "effects" looks like typical game elements and not really plausible. I thinik, Penumbra was also more oppressive than Amnesia because the game didn't want to be scary like Amnesia did. Horror shouldn't be "forced". That would ruin the fear and make a game not really atmospheric.

The dogs in Penumbra Overture behind the rattle gate brings a very imposing atmosphere, because you feel in danger. In danger alone in a dark mining complex. That's plausible and makes fear. But when the game is full of "effects" where it want to scare you, the game will lose plausibility and that is a totally horror no-go.
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(01-08-2013, 05:20 PM)Looglodex Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 03:25 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Puzzles aren't really what I was thinking of, puzzles are ok. I'm talking about scares, I had troubles with getting scared from the first half hour of Bioshock..

A horror game never should want to be scary. Because that would cause "effects" looks like typical game elements and not really plausible. I thinik, Penumbra was also more oppressive than Amnesia because the game didn't want to be scary like Amnesia did. Horror shouldn't be "forced". That would ruin the fear and make a game not really atmospheric.

The dogs in Penumbra Overture behind the rattle gate brings a very imposing atmosphere, because you feel in danger. In danger alone in a dark mining complex. That's plausible and makes fear. But when the game is full of "effects" where it want to scare you, the game will lose plausibility and that is a totally horror no-go.

I agree. That's what kinda ruins most of today's horror games - game wants to be scary desperately. Then it throws "scary" stuff in you face all the time. A good example: Outlast.
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Find
GoldenFalcon101 Offline

People don't want to get scared that much within the first half of the game (as far as I'm aware), otherwise they'll just turn off straight away. The scares need to be first placed at a part that will scare the life out of them, but they'll also say 'Okay, I'm intrigued by everything now-I need to carry on. I can't quit this game until I've worked out what the hell just happened.'
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(01-08-2013, 05:20 PM)Looglodex Wrote:

Puzzles are even more important than the scares in my opinion, because puzzles are the game. Why I enjoy Penumbra and Amnesia is, because they know to combine good puzzles with fantastic atmosphere and scary horror. But Amnesia was much easier than Penumbra and therefore I think Penumbra was better because it had more puzzles and story.

I like that to operate a crane and set up the boxes, reading user manuals, repair a generator, etc. and use physics to get forward.

When a game is only horror, scares doesn't really work. For example the walking children in AMFP, I think that is a good idea, but not scary because the problem is the game wants to be scary.

No, if a game doesn't want to be scary then it won't be. A 'horror' game wouldn't be a 'horror' game if it had no intention of scaring you. Obviously if it's just a jump scare fest then it won't be scary, it needs balance.

01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Find