Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slenderman Monster
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Slenderman Monster

(08-21-2012, 08:11 AM)candlejack131 Wrote: 8. so then what how do i create this monster without those programs that's why i came here because you are the community for my favorite game possibly ever created and yet you all babble at me as if I'm some kind of jerk or idiot for asking for help on the only community that understands how to do this. 8. my monster would not look like shit unanimated its the slenderman in sanatorium slenderman and slender the monsters never really moved from there stance
Sir, I feel the need to point out you have two 8.'s.

Thank you, please continue.

08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Anyways time to wait for the morning to read through 3 pages of fresh shit storm.

Posting Freak
08-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

The monster being able to move around and it having animations are totally unrelated to eachother.

If you just replace the grunt it'll act like a normal enemy but without any animations, did you even try to figure this out yourself or are you just raging at us for not doing it for you?
08-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

There's this big button on your keyboard that creates a line break. Please use it next time. Wink

Ok now, the way I understood it, Statyk didn't mean that you could make the Grunts animations work for your model. What he meant was, if the game has no animation assigned for the attack, the attack won't work. It doesn't matter though, if the animation can actually be PLAYED. (It can't because you're using a different mesh without bones etc...)

So to fix that, you open the Grunt in the model editor so you have all the settings and animations set correctly for the Grunt. Then you replace the mesh with yours and save it under a different name. The animations still won't work of course, but the game will "think" that this is a normal grunt enemy and make it behave like one. Smile

Edit: apparently I got that wrong, it needs at least a single joint and a dummy animation to work. Sorry for further confusing you.

I don't know why the model editor crashes, it might be a problem with the mesh file you're trying to import? Maybe you're not using the right format. It behaves pretty unstable whenever I try to use it too, though, so maybe it's just a bit buggy in general.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012, 05:31 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Find
candlejack131 Offline

Threads: 17

well I've tried several of the monsters files to import my mesh but they all crash is there a specific place i need to place them or anything special i need to do that i am not?

My friend/creator of the model told me he may create a skeleton and animations for the model but he doesn't fully understand how i've searched online for a tutorial and only found this http://www.wazim.com/Collada_Tutorial_1.htm will this help him or does any one else know a better tutorial on this kinda thing
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 09:08 PM by candlejack131.)
08-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(08-21-2012, 09:07 PM)candlejack131 Wrote: well I've tried several of the monsters files to import my mesh but they all crash is there a specific place i need to place them or anything special i need to do that i am not?

My friend/creator of the model told me he may create a skeleton and animations for the model but he doesn't fully understand how i've searched online for a tutorial and only found this http://www.wazim.com/Collada_Tutorial_1.htm will this help him or does any one else know a better tutorial on this kinda thing
Have you tried importing the model as a simple static object in the HPL engine yet?
It sounds like your model file is corrupt.
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Find
candlejack131 Offline

(08-21-2012, 09:09 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 09:07 PM)candlejack131 Wrote: well I've tried several of the monsters files to import my mesh but they all crash is there a specific place i need to place them or anything special i need to do that i am not?

Have you tried importing the model as a simple static object in the HPL engine yet?
It sounds like your model file is corrupt.
Well it was originally a static prop when i had it however i changed it to Enemy grunt right after i got it. The model loads in game and again like i said earlier gets stuck. but why that is was already explained to me. However you may be right for you see when i check the model earlier yesterday i noticed it....duplicated itself in the level editor enemy list it shows the two original unedited files that i had but they shouldn't be there and i cant remove them for i only have my edited versions and even when i completely delete the slenderman file itself they stay there so how can i get rid of them so i may start over again
08-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: My friend/creator of the model told me he may create a skeleton and animations for the model but he doesn't fully understand how i've searched online for a tutorial and only found this http://www.wazim.com/Collada_Tutorial_1.htm will this help him or does any one else know a better tutorial on this kinda thing
Now I'm not a programmer, so most of that tutorial is gibberish to me, but it seems to be about how you can write a program in C++ that is able to read mesh and animation data from Collada files. It's probably meant for people who want to write their own game engine or something like that. It has nothing to do with rigging and animating a mesh in a 3D program.

Your friend should be able to find plenty of tutorials for Maya or Blender or whatever he's using, though. Just type "-Name of his 3D program- rigging tutorial" or something like that into the good ol' googlemachine Smile

Have you tried importing your file into, say, Maya and re-exporting it? Also, which file are you trying to import as mesh into the model editor? The .dae file or an .ent file?
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Find
candlejack131 Offline

(08-21-2012, 09:39 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: My friend/creator of the model told me he may create a skeleton and animations for the model but he doesn't fully understand how i've searched online for a tutorial and only found this http://www.wazim.com/Collada_Tutorial_1.htm will this help him or does any one else know a better tutorial on this kinda thing
Now I'm not a programmer, so most of that tutorial is gibberish to me, but it seems to be about how you can write a program in C++ that is able to read mesh and animation data from Collada files. It's probably meant for people who want to write their own game engine or something like that. It has nothing to do with rigging and animating a mesh in a 3D program.

Your friend should be able to find plenty of tutorials for Maya or Blender or whatever he's using, though. Just type "-Name of his 3D program- rigging tutorial" or something like that into the good ol' googlemachine Smile

Have you tried importing your file into, say, Maya and re-exporting it? Also, which file are you trying to import as mesh into the model editor? The .dae file or an .ent file?
I choose my DAE for the import mesh

Also this time when he ran up to me he didn't get stuck instead he spun in circles when i stood still it was pretty funny
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM by candlejack131.)
08-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Okay... I'm going to make a simple list I need you to follow.

1) I did NOT at any point tell you to use another monster's animations. That is quite the opposite. I assumed you had already made a walk animation for Slenderman, seeing as he was following the player. But then you give us new info about how he is not even rigged at all. You can not turn a static_object into a monster correctly without having a skeleton in place. You need a rig.

2) (The rest of this list requires Autodesk Maya 2011 with the OpenCollada plugin. And with the power of Google, get the plugin here: http://opencollada.org/download.html ) If you want Slender to remain completely still like in the Slenderman games already made, you can make this easy on yourself and take the lazy way out by simply placing a single bone in his waist. There is your rig for Slender.

3) Once you have the single bone in place, (I am assuming and hoping you are using Maya for this) bring the dropdown arrow on the top-left to "Animation". Then pick the bone, hold shift and pick Slender. Then go up to the top and pick "Skin > Smooth Bind". Now the bone is attached to Slender.

4) Go down to the keyframe track under the modeling windows. It should have ticks going 1-48 or some numbers like that. pick the bone, pick frame 1, and press S then go to File > Export All and save Slender in the same place where it's texture is located. Open it in ModelView and see if it loads. All should go well.

5) Copy the .dae of Slender and paste it in the same spot. It should make a copy. Rename it: "slender_animation" and change the file extension to: ".dae_anim". It will say it might make the file unstable, but hit okay. It will be fine.

6) Go to the .ent file you have and go to "Edit > Animations". For each animation in there, change the .dae_anim file to the "slender_animation.dae_anim". Save, and he should work fine now.

This is all I'm giving for you as Slender just seems to be getting old and recycled too much lately to be scary anymore. I don't care if you continue, but if this list of "to do" doesn't work for you, perhaps you're stepping into something you're not ready for yet. I didn't even get into the harder stuff because we're taking shortcuts here... Good luck

And please stop bumping. Use common sense when the game does something wrong. For example. He follows you, then when he's within ATTACK DISTANCE and FREEZES. What do you think is the problem?... Obviously something is wrong when he ATTACKS. And you did not have an ATTACK ANIMATION, so what would fix this situation?...

Common sense tells you he needs an attack animation.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM by Statyk.)
08-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Find