Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Nightmare While Awake Chapter 1 Demo
ironman0001 Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Nightmare While Awake Chapter 1 Demo

(10-01-2012, 03:11 AM)Statyk Wrote: Same. I'd prefer less jumpscares as it is a cheesy, lazy fear tactic, but sometimes it can be done right. For one, it must be original. And two, it has to be relevant to the story.
I think jumpscares are better cause they also give tension! So you are scared that another jumpscare show up! But if there are no jumpscares, There is nothing to be scared of!
10-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

[Image: eb6.jpg?1307463786]
10-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-01-2012, 03:13 AM)ironman0001 Wrote: I think jumpscares are better cause they also give tension! So you are scared that another jumpscare show up! But if there are no jumpscares, There is nothing to be scared of!
Oh man where do I start with this...

I'll try...jumpscares invoke a natural reflex in humans which causes them to jump. It's not fear. It's called getting startled, and just a reflex. "Real" fear happens from subtle things happening in the game which cause you to dread what the now menacing environment might bring. It's called an "atmosphere", and if you ever played the original Amnesia, you'll notice that they use that to much MUCH more effectiveness than chock abundance of jumpscares.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-01-2012, 03:17 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

If Amnesia was just jumpscares, it would be at the bottom of the game industry.

I have no more words for this thread. My mind is so full of whats, I don't even know what to say about it. I wish you luck.
10-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Find
ironman0001 Offline

(10-01-2012, 03:14 AM)Statyk Wrote: [Image: eb6.jpg?1307463786]
Think about it... Jumpscares are unexpected... and it's a real surprise! And people don't like scary surprises! So people will be nervous because they don't know when the next jumpscare will show up... With no jumpscares, There's nothing to be scared of because there are no surprises! idk if you noticed, But most of the times when people are scared, It's from surprises! That's why they made scary maze! Because the scary picture is a surprise! If you expect the picture, It's not scary! What's the difference between expecting something scary, Or having no scary thing at all? Eitherway, There is no fear.

(10-01-2012, 03:19 AM)Statyk Wrote: If Amnesia was just jumpscares, it would be at the bottom of the game industry.

I have no more words for this thread. My mind is so full of whats, I don't even know what to say about it. I wish you luck.
WRONG! Think about slender! The only thing it has is jumpscares and it is one of the most popular games this year! It's so popular that it even got featured on gameinformer magazine! The most popular gaming magazine in the world!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012, 03:22 AM by ironman0001.)
10-01-2012, 03:20 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(10-01-2012, 03:20 AM)ironman0001 Wrote: Think about it... Jumpscares are unexpected... and it's a real surprise! And people don't like scary surprises! So people will be nervous because they don't know when the next jumpscare will show up... With no jumpscares, There's nothing to be scared of because there are no surprises! idk if you noticed, But most of the times when people are scared, It's from surprises! That's why they made scary maze! Because the scary picture is a surprise! If you expect the picture, It's not scary! What's the difference between expecting something scary, Or having no scary thing at all? Eitherway, There is no fear.
[Image: much-to-learn-you-still-have-en-ffffff]

That, and did you even read my previous post?
Quote:WRONG! Think about slender! The only thing it has is jumpscares and it is one of the most popular games this year! It's so popular that it even got featured on gameinformer magazine! The most popular gaming magazine in the world!

Since when did popular mean good? Just look at Call of Duty.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012, 03:25 AM by Kreekakon.)
10-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Find
ironman0001 Offline

(10-01-2012, 03:24 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(10-01-2012, 03:20 AM)ironman0001 Wrote: Think about it... Jumpscares are unexpected... and it's a real surprise! And people don't like scary surprises! So people will be nervous because they don't know when the next jumpscare will show up... With no jumpscares, There's nothing to be scared of because there are no surprises! idk if you noticed, But most of the times when people are scared, It's from surprises! That's why they made scary maze! Because the scary picture is a surprise! If you expect the picture, It's not scary! What's the difference between expecting something scary, Or having no scary thing at all? Eitherway, There is no fear.
[Image: much-to-learn-you-still-have-en-ffffff]

That, and did you even read my previous post?
Quote:WRONG! Think about slender! The only thing it has is jumpscares and it is one of the most popular games this year! It's so popular that it even got featured on gameinformer magazine! The most popular gaming magazine in the world!

Since when did popular mean good? Just look at Call of Duty.
Depends on the person
10-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

lol Cornithian's eyes are literally just going to start bleeding when he reads this

Posting Freak
10-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(10-01-2012, 03:27 AM)ironman0001 Wrote: Depends on the person
Fine go make what you want. No one can really stop you. I'll just say that jumpscare maps here are a lot like Micheal Baysplosions. Some people will like them, but the majority of people really hate them for lacking true context.

Image by BandyGrass
10-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

@ironman0001

Everyone is built differently and entitled to their own opinion. Jump scares (definitively speaking) are the exact opposite of tension, it's a release; jumpscares are only effective when the atmosphere has been built up properly and the player is on edge. If you're walking through a park in the middle of the day and it's sunny, then something suddenly pops out at you, it's not scary. Atmosphere is key.

For the record, the two "games" you mentioned aren't really real games (Slender/Scare Maze). They're not on the same playing field as Amnesia (which, for the record, is widely regarded as one of the scariest games of all time).

To each his own, I suppose.

I rate it 3 memes.
10-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Find