Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Nightmare While Awake Chapter 1 Demo
ironman0001 Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Nightmare While Awake Chapter 1 Demo

(10-01-2012, 03:30 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: @ironman0001

Everyone is built differently and entitled to their own opinion. Jump scares (definitively speaking) are the exact opposite of tension, it's a release; jumpscares are only effective when the atmosphere has been built up properly and the player is on edge. If you're walking through a park in the middle of the day and it's sunny, then something suddenly pops out at you, it's not scary. Atmosphere is key.

For the record, the two "games" you mentioned aren't really real games (Slender/Scare Maze). They're not on the same playing field as Amnesia (which, for the record, is widely regarded as one of the scariest games of all time).

To each his own, I suppose.
Atmoshere is important! But think about scary maze! It shows happy people playing a fun game with race car driving! And yet... Everyone i see on youtube still falls out of their chair when they see the picture xD
10-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah but them stumbling backwards and falling out of their chair isn't real fear, like Kreekakon said, it's a reflex. The moment it happens you'll get startled, but every time I've seen a pop-up like that I forget about it within 5 minutes. Now, if say I read a really great Creepypasta or the like, that could actually get me legitimately scared. there have been stories I've read that have kept me up at night thinking about them, but I can guarantee you're not going to lose any sleep thinking about how terrifying it was when the girl from the Exorcist screamed at you. Jumpscares are a one moment thing, it happens and then it's over, like one big release. You're not going to be scared of it coming because there's almost never any build up to it, and when one finally does come you'll be over it a few seconds later. But, if you take the time to build the atmosphere and do proper scares that can actually make the player paranoid, that can stick with them and make them nervous for the rest of the game.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012, 03:51 AM by Kman.)
10-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Website Find
ironman0001 Offline

(10-01-2012, 03:51 AM)Kman Wrote: Yeah but them stumbling backwards and falling out of their chair isn't real fear, like Kreekakon said, it's a reflex. The moment it happens you'll get startled, but every time I've seen a pop-up like that I forget about it within 5 minutes. Now, if say I read a really great Creepypasta or the like, that could actually get me legitimately scared. there have been stories I've read that have kept me up at night thinking about them, but I can guarantee you're not going to lose any sleep thinking about how terrifying it was when the girl from the Exorcist screamed at you. Jumpscares are a one moment thing, it happens and then it's over, like one big release. You're not going to be scared of it coming because there's almost never any build up to it, and when one finally does come you'll be over it a few seconds later. But, if you take the time to build the atmosphere and do proper scares that can actually make the player paranoid, that can stick with them and make them nervous for the rest of the game.
Well people don't enjoy this "Reflexes" Very much
10-01-2012, 03:57 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Hmm, and people wonder how stories like this become popular. I look at this topic, and an hour later it has over 50 replies.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-01-2012, 04:01 AM)Your Computer Wrote: Hmm, and people wonder how stories like this become popular. I look at this topic, and an hour later it has over 50 replies.
It is also rated one star, and most of the replies aren't even directly concerning the custom story of the thread anymore.

Infamous, I'd say more like.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012, 04:04 AM by Kreekakon.)
10-01-2012, 04:03 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

In the modern world, Stupidity seems to be the gold. Friday by Rebecca Black, Jersey Shore, and many many Youtube viral videos... I don't know why it happens either... But sadly, it does.

I don't want to live here anymore. I'm moving somewhere remote in the north.
10-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Find
ironman0001 Offline

(10-01-2012, 03:51 AM)Kman Wrote: Yeah but them stumbling backwards and falling out of their chair isn't real fear, like Kreekakon said, it's a reflex. The moment it happens you'll get startled, but every time I've seen a pop-up like that I forget about it within 5 minutes. Now, if say I read a really great Creepypasta or the like, that could actually get me legitimately scared. there have been stories I've read that have kept me up at night thinking about them, but I can guarantee you're not going to lose any sleep thinking about how terrifying it was when the girl from the Exorcist screamed at you. Jumpscares are a one moment thing, it happens and then it's over, like one big release. You're not going to be scared of it coming because there's almost never any build up to it, and when one finally does come you'll be over it a few seconds later. But, if you take the time to build the atmosphere and do proper scares that can actually make the player paranoid, that can stick with them and make them nervous for the rest of the game.
And true fear doesn't come from a game... infact, true fear isn't true fear... true fear... is the fear of dying :|

(10-01-2012, 04:54 AM)ironman0001 Wrote:
And true fear doesn't come from a game... infact, true fear isn't true fear... true fear... is the fear of dying :|
And plus, The frictional games wiki even teach how to make jumpscares! Cause they know how awesome they are xD
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012, 05:08 AM by ironman0001.)
10-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

And plus, The frictional games wiki even teach how to make jumpscares! Cause they know how awesome they are xD
I wish to tell you that jumpscares are lame like butter on a butthole. True fear is the feeling of being afraid to the point that you wish to not continue. If that is the fear of dying, then so be it. I do not have that fear. My fear is of cockroaches crawling in my mouth, on my face and near my junk.

Real fear in Amnesia is generated by good atmosphere.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
10-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Please stop feeding the troll, he will only come back for more. It's obviously useless trying to convince ironman otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012, 05:18 AM by Statyk.)
10-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(10-01-2012, 05:17 AM)Statyk Wrote: Please stop feeding the troll, he will only come back for more.
yus sir.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
10-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Find