Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: what controlls do you prefer for first person movement?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Arrows
4.55%
1 4.55%
WSAD
95.45%
21 95.45%
Custom
0%
0 0%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

First Person controll, WSAD or Arrow Keys?
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: First Person controll, WSAD or Arrow Keys?

Of course, everybody's different.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I haven't read the whole thread. Have OP tried prying loose/rage smashing Q+E+Z+X+C+F? That should leave you with WASD isolated - much like the arrow keys. You could set it up to have a keyboard for general use; eg. writing etc. and one for gaming.

I prefer WASD since I'm used to it. When I was younger I played using the arrow keys, but swapping to mouse+WASD allowed for strafe+look which was a sick amount of control compared to the arrow keys. The only time I would use the arrow keys now would be if I'd play Hexen 1, because; nostalgia.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM by Acies.)
10-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

sorry to be an a**se and repeat myself but the statements of "its not proper" or "its for children" against arrow keys, wich i use, are getting me down, so again, and for the the last time i will iterate that I use arrows, for the following reasons.

1. trying to use WSAD with either hand not only makes my fingers feel funny, but causes massive pain in my wrists as i have to place my hands at a very odd angle, and i keep plipping the wrong keys because i end up totally un-co-ordinated.

2. i use my left hand for the mouse as its accurate and quick for me. if i try using my right hand its all over the place and damn slow i simply just cant keep controll of the mouse in my right hand.

3. WSAD doesnt register in my brain properly, as it doesnt actually have any relation to the movement of the charachter it strikes me as a totally illogical system, the arrows do make scence to my brain because they tie to the movement directions, so its logical.

i still find myself perfectly able to circle straffe and look straffe with those methods. with 100% effeciency, yet if i try a WSAD i cant controll the game at all.

so i must ask people to kindly stop saying "it is not acceptable" or "they are not in the proper place" or "they are goofy" or worse "its a childs way of controlling". please, its the only way i can actually use a keyboard and mouse, my prefered control system, without 1. being totally un-co-ordinated, and 2, In a L.O.T of Pain.

So people saying "its not the right way" or "its for children", really is making me downright depressed, its belittling, so stop it please, thanks, i know you dont Mean to be belittling, but, that is the effect it is having so please stop saying it. if you use WSAD fine, more power to you, just stop rubbing my nose in it because i don't with stuff like "its for children" or "it isnt proper" ok?. jut say that you use those controlls. thanks.

PS @ bridge, sorry this is late, but you aksed how i do realoads and weapons change without stopping, it depends on the games mousewheel compatabiluty and if it has Precision aim on all its weapons or just some. if the game has no mousewheel compatabbily, i put weapons scroll onto Numpad 8 and 5, if it has mousewhell support, i bind the scroll to the mouswheel, same if the game has precision aim on all or not, if no, i put scope mode on numpad 0 and relaod on the right mouse button, if it does have precision on all, i put precision on right mouse and reload on numpad 0. it allows me that way to reload and change without stopping, hope that helps explain it to you.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM by the dark side.)
10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Well, first, I'm sorry if I sounded too attacking.
But my first post that I made, I already said that there is no 'right' or 'wrong'.
Plus, what ever I say doesn't mean that I'm somehow putting you down because you use different keyboard layout than I do (that just sounds absurd..?).
Also the child thing, I wasn't in anyway meaning you with it. I was generally speaking about children with first time playing a video game on computer.

10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Website Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

it wasnt you scraper, dont worry, its just loads of other users have said things like that, and have made it sound like its "the wrong way". i know no one is putting me down on purpose, its just that the constant statments from loads of people who are saying that its wrong are having the unfortunate side effect of making me feel bad. im not getting on at anyone, i am just asking people if they could kindly stop saying "arrow keys are wrong" because it hurts and illuminating them as to why i use those keys, and why its getting me down when people say "its wrong".

so dont worry scraper, i know you werent attacking, its just a side effect i have of my brain taking everything literally.]

I am going to give people a little insight into my brain here, to me putting "its is the wrong way to play a computer game" or "it is they way a child plays it" to my brain, a person is saying "you are a n00*" or "you play the game like a child". i know that they are Not saying that, but, my brain feels like they are saying it and it hurts, yes, i know that sounds totally Absurd to a NeuroTypical brain, but its the way mine is wired up, i cant do anything about it. hence why i am asking people to kindly stop it. and just say what keys they use without demeaning a different set.

yes, before anyone brings it up, i know you can use an xbox360 pad on a pc, but the things are so innacurate it makes a game totall impossible to controll properly. at least for me. so, i stick to keyboard and mouse, its faster and has more accurate responce, despite the issues i have with what people see as the "correct" keyset
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM by the dark side.)
10-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(10-09-2012, 05:50 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote: So you're right-handed, as it looks like. I think it may have been a bit difficult to get used to that. Unless it came naturally to you.

Wait what..? I read this again. I'm right handed. Never said I was left handed if that's what you meant.

10-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(10-09-2012, 07:34 PM)Scraper Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 05:50 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote: So you're right-handed, as it looks like. I think it may have been a bit difficult to get used to that. Unless it came naturally to you.

Wait what..? I read this again. I'm right handed. Never said I was left handed if that's what you meant.
I was expecting you to be left handed, but the pic threw me off course. That's why I said that.

EDIT: Ok, now I got totally confused. Let me get this straight:

You're left-handed when using WASD, right? I just got terribly confused.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM by Robby.)
10-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Website Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3

I'm right-handed on the computer but otherwise left-handed. It's pretty "handy".

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
10-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

always WASD

Quote: You're left-handed when using WASD, right? I just got terribly confused.
Of course he's using left hand when using WASD lol
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 08:59 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(10-09-2012, 08:58 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Of course he's using left hand when using WASD lol
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I got confused horribly for a moment.

Here, have a cookie.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=5522&d=1337554198]

10-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Website Find