Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Are Amnesia players adults or teens?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Are Amnesia players adults or teens?

I'm 21, just for the record, and were scared like hell by Amnesia. I think it's not about your age but more about your imagination and how much you are willing to immerse yourself and "play along".
Most people I know who played Amnesia were between 20 and 30, too. But then again, I don't have any friends who are younger than me so that scews the statistic quite a bit Big Grin

Still I think people of 18 and up were pretty much the intended target audience. Maybe 16 and up since there's not that much gore in the game compared to others. (I'm thinking of a European rating system here, not an American one where nudity counts more Wink ) Of course downloadable games aren't rated by PEGI or USK so we'll never know what rating it would've got...
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 06:47 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

I'm also a teenager. I find Amnesia and Penumbra pretty scary but I usually don't show it while playing.
03-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(03-08-2013, 03:09 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I'm the kind of eleven year old who is immersive, likes horror and idolizes H.P Lovecraft.

EDIT:
"The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft

[Image: holy-spirit-best-best.jpg]

"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven!

"Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh.
It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal
or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship,
gravity all
nonsense now.
As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!"

Since you appear to be aware of their facial features,--deeming them unfazed-- then I can only assume you were watching them. Let me also ask you this:
Were the lights off?
Were they wearing headphones?
Was the volume up?
Were they aware, previous to playing, of the physical appearances of any of the monsters?

(03-08-2013, 04:50 PM)Deep One Wrote: People are still being tortured with old methods. For example, strappado and sawing are common methods in Middle East.

Cooooool.

(03-08-2013, 04:25 PM)Doomtodeath Wrote: I know many children playing this game. 7-12. They have sh*t parents.

It isn't the worst thing to succumb to: Many parents let their kids play shitty, violent games. At least we can be thankful that the trauma and mental scarring comes from something wonderful.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 09:02 PM by failedALIAS.)
03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

I'm 25 and this game still scares the shit out of me.

The thing is, you tell someone "play this game, it'll scare you" is pretty much screaming "this is a game, it's a challenge". You have to be willing to let Amnesia scare you, you have to not attack it like a game.
03-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

22 year old here. There are YouTube videos featuring grown men screaming their heads off over this game. I also think it is rated "M for Mature" for a reason.
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(03-08-2013, 09:23 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote: 22 year old here. There are YouTube videos featuring grown men screaming their heads off over this game. I also think it is rated "M for Mature" for a reason.

But they're fucking stupid.
03-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

I think the reason some adults might not be scared by Amnesia is because they're not used to playing FPS games, so that the controls become a barrier between them and the game. Since a sense of presence is created by an uninterrupted flow of information and feedback between the player and the game, their lack of fluency in FPS controls prevents them from immersing themselves and getting scared.

When I made my uncle play Amnesia, he was quite clumsy at first and sometimes during fast-paced moments he got confused because he simply wasn't sure what was going on. But eventually he got into it and started feeling 'em shivers. Smile

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 10:33 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: I think the reason some adults might not be scared by Amnesia is becausethey're not used to playing FPS games, so that the controls become a barrier between them and the game. Since a sense of presence is created by an uninterrupted flow of information and feedback between the player and the game, their lack of fluency in FPS controls prevents them from immersing themselves and getting scared.
Definitely. I tried to show Amnesia to my Mom, because she's theoretically quite interested in games, but since she never played one before, she couldn't get into it at all. Some things just come natural to someone used to playing games - like using the mouse to look around while simultaneously changing from forward to strafe motion, so you keep walking in the same direction - but to her everything except walking in a straight line was something she had to consciously concentrate on which left no room for immersion. So much actually, that she often didn't even notice a scary sound or similar things. Add to that the fact that the first person perspective quickly made her motion-sick...

I think from a game design point of view it's really interesting to watch someone who never played a game struggle with it. It shows how much is actually taken for granted in terms of player abilities in your average game. (Not that that's a bad thing - it all depends on your target audience! I'm certainly against overly simplifying games originally meant for "hardcore" gamers.)
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(03-08-2013, 10:29 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: I think the reason some adults might not be scared by Amnesia is because they're not used to playing FPS games, so that the controls become a barrier between them and the game. Since a sense of presence is created by an uninterrupted flow of information and feedback between the player and the game, their lack of fluency in FPS controls prevents them from immersing themselves and getting scared.

When I made my uncle play Amnesia, he was quite clumsy at first and sometimes during fast-paced moments he got confused because he simply wasn't sure what was going on. But eventually he got into it and started feeling 'em shivers. Smile

^ THIS

when i gave my cousin 20 year old cousin to play this, she spent more time asking how to open door, move around... instead of focusing on the game. Yeah, she didn't know that you move with WASD in games because she doesnt play them. So..yeah.. clumsines is bad for immersion Smile

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
03-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-08-2013, 10:45 PM)DogFood Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 10:29 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: I think the reason some adults might not be scared by Amnesia is because they're not used to playing FPS games, so that the controls become a barrier between them and the game. Since a sense of presence is created by an uninterrupted flow of information and feedback between the player and the game, their lack of fluency in FPS controls prevents them from immersing themselves and getting scared.

^ THIS

when i gave my cousin 20 year old cousin to play this, she spent more time asking how to open door, move around... instead of focusing on the game. Yeah, she didn't know that you move with WASD in games because she doesnt play them. So..yeah.. clumsines is bad for immersion Smile

Anybody who can't figure out how the controls in Amnesia work (which are as minimalistic as you get) is retarded. Sorry, but it's true. It has nothing to do with tech savvy, but the basic skills all mature human beings have: the ability to manipulate muscles and joints, functional memory and the ability to react to visual and aural stimuli. Even a child could master the controls after only playing the "tutorial".
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM by Bridge.)
03-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Find