Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Unbirth Challenge
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
RE: The Unbirth Challenge

Well, the textures (and the bumpmaps) are .jpg just like in Penumbra. The inventory pictures are also .jpg. Music = mp3, sounds = wav, etc. There are even cfg-files for the monsters.
05-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(05-21-2010, 10:34 PM)spukrian Wrote: Well, the textures (and the bumpmaps) are .jpg just like in Penumbra. The inventory pictures are also .jpg. Music = mp3, sounds = wav, etc. There are even cfg-files for the monsters.

Are the models in the same format?
05-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Find
Skaruts Offline

Threads: 11

I'd say let the tools come out and then we can see what needs to be done and what not.

The game has to be made from scratch because no engine source is released, the models, even if you can port them, they are surely low poly, textures are perhaps are lower quality too.
Also, if I'm thinking straight here, making it in these tools will limit it to be an Amnesia mod, so no engine is necessary.

Assets can be done "easily", since plenty of ppl here are interested in this, I doubt we lack artists.
I have some 3D modeling and mapping experience, I only need to learn these tools, see what they can do, and see what I can do with them.

What we could do for the time being is to create a thread to start gathering all information we can about Unbirth (storyline (if any), goals, etc) and discuss what the story is and what could have been (since many may not know it due to crashing on the way). If the devs could open a separate forum just for Unbirth it would be cool, but not strictly needed. If thomas could share with us his thoughts and intentions when doing it, even better.

We could also open a thread to gather info about everything else, puzzles, maps, props, objects, sounds, etc. So that we build a solid base of info for us to start planning things in the right way.

Later, we could have an IRC channel (and maybe a dev blog) if the project goes forward, from where we discuss how exactly things will be done, and how.
05-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Find
RoyaleBeast Offline

Threads: 16

(05-22-2010, 02:00 AM)Skaruts Wrote: I'd say let the tools come out and then we can see what needs to be done and what not.

The game has to be made from scratch because no engine source is released, the models, even if you can port them, they are surely low poly, textures are perhaps are lower quality too.
Also, if I'm thinking straight here, making it in these tools will limit it to be an Amnesia mod, so no engine is necessary.

Assets can be done "easily", since plenty of ppl here are interested in this, I doubt we lack artists.
I have some 3D modeling and mapping experience, I only need to learn these tools, see what they can do, and see what I can do with them.

What we could do for the time being is to create a thread to start gathering all information we can about Unbirth (storyline (if any), goals, etc) and discuss what the story is and what could have been (since many may not know it due to crashing on the way). If the devs could open a separate forum just for Unbirth it would be cool, but not strictly needed. If thomas could share with us his thoughts and intentions when doing it, even better.

We could also open a thread to gather info about everything else, puzzles, maps, props, objects, sounds, etc. So that we build a solid base of info for us to start planning things in the right way.

Later, we could have an IRC channel (and maybe a dev blog) if the project goes forward, from where we discuss how exactly things will be done, and how.

hell yeah im down for this
05-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(05-22-2010, 12:33 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: Are the models in the same format?

No, I´m afraid they are not. Sad

Penumbra uses .dae for both models and levels.

Unbirth uses .apr for models and levels.

Hmm... the .nut files contains scripts. Open them with a text editor.
05-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Find
RoyaleBeast Offline

Threads: 16

some of the new pictures in that forum were monsters from unbirth Big Grin so those will be usefull
05-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Find
Black Rabbit Offline

Threads: 0

(05-19-2010, 01:11 AM)Skaruts Wrote: hmm, I think that can be solved by having enemies extremely hard to kill. Like 5000 hp against the knife damage of 10. Big Grin
I don't yet know what the knife is for tho. Isn't there a pistol too?

or you could just make the weapons breakable and remove all of the firearms except maybe a revolver...with limited ammo of course...extremely limited and if the battle system with melee is like penumbra it will be very hard so it will be a challenge
09-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Find
Bythemark Offline

Threads: 2

ooh, I just found out I can move the map files to the main folder to use the console command...

Legitimately, I lost in the first room (it wouldn't register that I had the flashlight) but I'm going to cheat my way through...hehehehe....

As for a potential project, I can do some texture work. I'm not great, but I can do some. I'll also edit the files for proper English.

edit: found in an old post I'm supposed to open the battery box...but then again there's no incentive XD

I'm considering writing an FAQ/Guide for Unbirth (with the compatibility thing, common crashes, etc) once I figure all of it out. That way there'll be a reference and no digging around in old forum threads.
10-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

What's the game's story about?

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
05-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

This game sounds fun Big Grin Lets try it out.
06-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Website Find