Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

(03-27-2012, 04:12 AM)Truth Master Wrote: Fucking sheep. If you think I'd rather have an action game over Amnesia, read my post again.
Pretentiousness can be easily smelled, and Dear Esther reeks of it, "experimental game" or not. The game or thing or whatever, is FUCKING BAD.
Bad writing.
Bad music.
Bad gameplay.
It really is easy to put in some pseudo-classical music and call it "good" isn't it?
In the same way, it's really easy to read some half assed poetry and call it good writing.

Amnesia had no pretense of pretentious "art". It was just fucking immersive, well directed and tastefully done (most of it).

And yeah, Thechineseroom is developing the whole game.
I liked DE, I think the story was brilliant, still had a nice horror feel to it with the immersive story and exploring elements and looked like a FG title. It was a short game, but it worked well.

What I would like to happen with A Machine For Pigs, would chineseroom to develop to story and the some outdoor environments, as both were amazing in DE. And FG to make the horror elements: the music, sounds, scares.

They just need to make the scares less obvious. Like picking up a key and a monster spawning, more like a few second delay so the player expects something to happen, think it's safe then 2 or 3 seconds later something spawn, just an idea. But I like the idea of little scares, doors opening, shadows moving past, some sounds from a distant room.

I don't want to start another argument about DE it's your opinion, but most people on this thread loved the game.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM by BrooksyFC.)
03-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

To each their own. But I definitely enjoyed what Dear Esther had to offer. Its music was beautiful and eerie at times. The writing was good and obviously going for certain style.

I am definitely happy to see them working on this game. If you want to see what they can do for horror, look at Korsakovia. A mod with a very different style to Dear Esther, but from the same people. The music in that game was so strange and disturbing. I can't wait to see how Jessica Curry handles this game's soundtrack.
03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

I would say one further thing.
To open a closed door in TDD was always not enough involving.
One thing in the refinery where you have to find the hole and take the barrels from the door. That door only was simply blocked. One good thing was in Daniels Room where you have to break the lock using the crowbar. But I missed more door opening puzzles.
Penumbra was really fantastic in this way. You remember the door in Overture (I mean it was the destroyed shaft where the young worms are)?
There you have to get the key from the other side of the door. So what you do? Slip a letter through the gap and put the key out of the hole with a tool (screwdriver) and take the letter back to pick up the key.
This was really involving. As I played this moment, I thought I've never seen such an intelligent game before! I can't believe that this could be the right way to solve this puzzle.
Instead that I play the game, it lets me feel the game plays with me!

This is what I wish for the next Amnesia. Involving involving involving.
And involving doesn't contradict each other with immersing, as kman said. The more you are involved all the more you are immersed. You just should use your brain and think the logics.
This should NOT be a casual game to make it easier for newbies. I thinik, this is not that wat we want.

And I also wish more secrets. For example a secret room or a secret level what you only will find when you solve something special. Here Penumbra again was better in this way. Look at the secret mini game "schmup" or some secret endings when the player find all artifacts.
It would be great when the normal player would not see the whole game when playing it to the end.
Let us discover out some secret rooms what the normal player never would find.
This would make the game more re-playable and interesting for all - when there are secret things you have to find out.

Good to hear that the devs read this forum.
This is very nice!
Frictional Games and Thechineseroom, I hope you will create a new masterpiece and you all are good guys!
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM by Googolplex.)
03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

We as community, do look like a bunch of sheep trying to get our voices heard. So I would like to apologize, for the whole community.
I really want you guys to surprise us and do something a little bit different than TDD. That's why I'm not really fan of these suggestions...

But about that lantern...
Creating a pulsing/flickering model would require a lot of things. First you would need to create the base of the light source, which pulses because I assume that would be model based so only that part of the model pulses. If you would try to create a pulsing light effect for a TDD lantern, I think it wouldn't be possible. I don't really know how the dynamic lighting with the lantern works but the view model probably has it's own light.
So I'm not really sure is it really possible for HPL engine to create such realistic pulsing effect.
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Haha, Mehis, you don't need to apologize for anything, I'm pretty sure FG is a big guys and it is not their first experience with the Internet, they were in close contact with fanbase since their first "huge" success with Penumbra series. The usual.

Spoiler below!
Remember - there is always a Bioware community >_>

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM by Kein.)
03-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Please, developers, don't listen to this forum. Some people here have the worst ideas... Do your own thing, you're the experts!

Honestly I can't stand this place most of the time because of all the stupid posts and "Watch my LP" type spam.
03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

(03-28-2012, 12:59 PM)nofsky Wrote: Please, developers, don't listen to this forum. Some people here have the worst ideas... Do your own thing, you're the experts!

Honestly I can't stand this place most of the time because of all the stupid posts and "Watch my LP" type spam.
Have you ever thought about the fact that maybe they enjoy getting feedback on new concepts they tried, or getting ideas that a bunch of people would like to see in an upcoming game, or what scares worked, etc.? Wouldn't you take it as a compliment if person after person felt the need take a product you spent a lot of time making started recording themself playing it and posting it online because they were scared to the point of being hilarious?
And hardly any of the ideas posted here are bad. Anything can be done "the right way" or "the wrong way". Also, a poor idea can get a discussion going on a topic that leads to a great idea. So they can all be useful one way or another. Personally, I think it's people that snap like that and insult others, or insult the concept of what is going on here in these discussions, as being 'the worst' for us as a community.

03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

(03-28-2012, 12:59 PM)nofsky Wrote: Please, developers, don't listen to this forum. Some people here have the worst ideas... Do your own thing, you're the experts!

This is what I tried to say.
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

Great way to start another argument, as if we didn't have enough on here Confused anyway...

Like dph314 said, FG might want to hear what people liked and hated in the game. They might not take any of the ideas, but at-least have some common courtesy to listen to the fans. It's like hearing back from a product, you gather feedback and take that to make improvements.

Not like there is much to change to Amnesia anyway, its scary enough Tongue

Think A Little, Change A Lot
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2012, 08:14 AM by BrooksyFC.)
03-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

I believe the developers are competent and independent enough to keep their integrity and not do everything the fanbase tells them while still listening to what they have to say. I think it's a good thing that they are actively involved with the community, although I have to agree with nofsky in that the place is swarming with bad ideas. But, like I said, I think the developers are able to tell a bad idea from a good one. I haven't played the Mass Effect games, but I have enjoyed Bioware's other games in the past, and it really broke my heart to see them cave in at the loudmouthed, privileged players demands. No matter how bad the ending may or may not have been, it was their ending. Hopefully, Frictional (or The Chinese Room for that matter) won't do the same mistake of listening too much to their fanbase.

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Find