Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MYSTERY: CHAPTER 2
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48
RE: MYSTERY: CHAPTER 2

(11-06-2011, 10:20 PM)MGermundsson Wrote: This custom story was great.

One question for you, could i use your entities for my own custom story?
For example the monster statue.
I'd be happy for that. Big Grin

Thanks for the great story!
Sure, just give credit (Wink)

11-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Find
KenOfAllTrades Offline

Threads: 2

(11-06-2011, 09:48 PM)flamez3 Wrote:
(11-06-2011, 07:38 PM)KenOfAllTrades Wrote: Okay, let me level with you here: This custom story is PRETTY DAMN bad.

Like, I'm not even sure what you aimed for. There's WAY too many jumpscares, too many design flaws that don't make sense, there was basically NO story at all, and you STILL didn't fix the glitch with getting a bajillion lanterns. There is waaaaaaaay too many jumpscares and no real fear.

I stopped a short while after
Spoiler below!
picking up the key in the closet and having the statues appear behind me
because I couldn't handle more jumpscares. I might play more later or something, but I highly doubt it. Jumpscares are cheap. I usually finish just about every custom story I play, but this one is so riddled with bad things that I'm not even sure if I want to.

You need to CALM DOWN on the jumpscares. You need to make things make a bit more sense too. Like, one of the rooms was just a tiny room with a bed in it, but you couldn't even open the door properly. Who do you think would live in such a room? Sometimes, there wasn't doors behind me either after entering a new map. Besides, after chapter 1, weren't we entering the prison? It doesn't feel very prison... -ish.

Like, people can say that the map is fun. Sure, it can be kind of fun and interesting, but the jumpscares ruins that for me. If anyone say that the map is GOOD, it just means they didn't think it through. You should take some examples from the original game. It kept you on your toes, the game was scary because of the atmosphere and not too many jumpscares, and it kept what the player wanted in mind.

I'm sorry if I make you feel bad, I'm not usually a mean person, but you need to learn more about how to make a game. Maybe after a lot of experience, you'll make a custom story that will be really amazing. Until then though, I give your story a 3 out of 10.
...Did you read my post? I got bored of this CS and just made it scares...
Sorry, I didn't concentrate much when I read it. I've played custom stories ever since Amnesia came out and descriptions become increasingly less interesting. Although, if you got bored with it, I think you should have waited with finishing it or something. Picking it back up when you felt like it and stuff.

I probably made a LP of this! Youtube channel here!
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Find
Zumper Offline

Threads: 4

Awesome story!

12-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Find
Pieflavour Offline

Threads: 0

I'd like to download this, because Mystery: Chapter 1 was awesome ! but that link is to the Megaupload, and that site is closed :/ put it please somewhere else to download ! Smile
02-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

Updated with a different download

02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Find
ZraloK Offline

Threads: 1

(02-08-2012, 12:03 PM)flamez3 Wrote: Updated with a different download
Yea he updated download! Let's get SCURRED!!!

(11-07-2011, 09:53 AM)KenOfAllTrades Wrote:
(11-06-2011, 09:48 PM)flamez3 Wrote:
(11-06-2011, 07:38 PM)KenOfAllTrades Wrote: ....BLAH BLAH...

I'm sorry if I make you feel bad, I'm not usually a mean person, but you need to learn more about how to make a game. Maybe after a lot of experience, you'll make a custom story that will be really amazing. Until then though, I give your story a 3 out of 10.
...Did you read my post? I got bored of this CS and just made it scares...
Sorry, I didn't concentrate much when I read it. I've played custom stories ever since Amnesia came out and descriptions become increasingly less interesting. Although, if you got bored with it, I think you should have waited with finishing it or something. Picking it back up when you felt like it and stuff.
You have to understand there are basically 2 genres of custom stories at this point. There a longer ones with serious thought on story lines.

"Pewdiepie Stories" as I call them, are shorter less story and more scare CS's and so read reviews and check what your playing before you dis on it for the type is.

With that said "Pewdiepie Story's" are great because they bring in new cheap jump scare tactics and are 3x scarier than the original story was.

Great work on this story and the series!

"Death is light as a feather, duty is heavy as a mountain."
--Rand Al'Thor
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM by ZraloK.)
02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

I don't believe that the words "Cheap jump scare tactics" and "Scarier" work well together.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
02-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-08-2012, 05:39 PM)ZraloK Wrote: You have to understand there are basically 2 genres of custom stories at this point. There a longer ones with serious thought on story lines.

"Pewdiepie Stories" as I call them, are shorter less story and more scare CS's and so read reviews and check what your playing before you dis on it for the type is.

With that said "Pewdiepie Story's" are great because they bring in new cheap jump scare tactics and are 3x scarier than the original story was.

Great work on this story and the series!
If you honestly think that this is scary, then you don't understand the word or the emotion. Let me ask you something, would you find it scary if a puppy flew at your face out of no where and it barked at the same time? No. You'd be startled. It's a human reflex, seeing something flash in front of you triggers that human instinct. It doesn't scare you, it startles you. The only difference here is they replace the puppy with a naked body and the bark with a random scream and SOMEHOW just a change this small makes something pass as scary. there's no difference, it's just triggering human instinct. There's nothing scary about it. Now on the other hand, let me ask you this. Say you were sitting in your room at night, alone. You heard someone walking around on the floor below you, and you weren't expecting anyone to be home for hours. Now in this case it really could just be some pet walking around, but you don't know that. You also don't know if some psychopath had really made his way into your house and was walking around looking for you. THAT'S real horror. In a situation like that you're mind plays tricks on you, just the slightest noise can send someone into complete paranoia. That's the kind of stuff that keeps you awake at night as you wonder if there really was someone there. Jumpscares will never have that kind of effect, tell me, when was the last time you were kept up at night or you found yourself nervously looking over your shoulder constantly because you were startled by a jumpscare. I'll go ahead and answer that for you, NEVER.

/end rant

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012, 02:46 AM by Kman.)
02-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(02-09-2012, 02:45 AM)kman Wrote: If you honestly think that this is scary, then you don't understand the word or the emotion. Let me ask you something, would you find it scary if a puppy flew at your face out of no where and it barked at the same time? No. You'd be startled. It's a human reflex, seeing something flash in front of you triggers that human instinct. It doesn't scare you, it startles you. The only difference here is they replace the puppy with a naked body and the bark with a random scream and SOMEHOW just a change this small makes something pass as scary. there's no difference, it's just triggering human instinct. There's nothing scary about it. Now on the other hand, let me ask you this. Say you were sitting in your room at night, alone. You heard someone walking around on the floor below you, and you weren't expecting anyone to be home for hours. Now in this case it really could just be some pet walking around, but you don't know that. You also don't know if some psychopath had really made his way into your house and was walking around looking for you. THAT'S real horror. In a situation like that you're mind plays tricks on you, just the slightest noise can send someone into complete paranoia. That's the kind of stuff that keeps you awake at night as you wonder if there really was someone there. Jumpscares will never have that kind of effect, tell me, when was the last time you were kept up at night or you found yourself nervously looking over your shoulder constantly because you were startled by a jumpscare. I'll go ahead and answer that for you, NEVER.

/end rant
Beautiful description. I applaud you. The whole reason we are here is because how well Frictional Games struck fear into us with ambience and sounds. Perhaps a few jumpscares, but jumpscares are not what gave them their awards and sold copies...
02-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Kman, you accurately described fear.

BUT, jumpscares are scary technically because they cause fright or alarm.

Insanity. Static.
02-09-2012, 03:36 AM
Find