Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Newsletter | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support

Thread Rating:
  • 34 Vote(s) - 4.56 Average
Screenshot criticism thread
Pitfall Offline

RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(04-04-2012 06:11 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:  
(04-03-2012 07:12 PM)Pitfall Wrote:  
Spoiler below!

[Image: UnknownProject.jpg]

I have no idea what to put in the courtyard off to the side.
There are no planks on the *underside* of simple real-world jettys.
Did you really fell that worth mentioning out of the WHOLE screenshot?
04-04-2012 06:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-04-2012 06:16 AM)Pitfall Wrote:  Did you really fell that worth mentioning out of the WHOLE screenshot?
Well, it was the thing that stood out, but if you want me to look for more, there's the precarious chair balancing on the boards, the lone row of windows on the building to the left, and so on. This was the "Screenshot criticism thread", wasn't it? I mean, it looks lovely as a whole, but if you WANT me to point out what can be improved, then those were the things I could spot. Oh, and the lightpost looked weird somehow.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-04-2012 06:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pitfall Offline

(04-04-2012 06:58 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:  
(04-04-2012 06:16 AM)Pitfall Wrote:  Did you really fell that worth mentioning out of the WHOLE screenshot?
Well, it was the thing that stood out, but if you want me to look for more, there's the precarious chair balancing on the boards, the lone row of windows on the building to the left, and so on. This was the "Screenshot criticism thread", wasn't it? I mean, it looks lovely as a whole, but if you WANT me to point out what can be improved, then those were the things I could spot. Oh, and the lightpost looked weird somehow.
I need to fix the light post on the dock. Anyway you don't need to go into THAT much detail on what needs improvement.

Edit: You are also looking at an older version of the map. You missed my next post.
Spoiler below!

[Image: UnknownProject2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 07:08 AM by Pitfall.)
04-04-2012 07:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-04-2012 07:06 AM)Pitfall Wrote:  
(04-04-2012 06:58 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:  
I need to fix the light post on the dock. Anyway you don't need to go into THAT much detail on what needs improvement.

Edit: You are also looking at an older version of the map. You missed my next post.
Well, it's two very similar pictures, and the closest to the viewer is the planks, followed by the chair. I've seen much worse maps than this, so at this point I'd just go on creating more content elsewhere, and then later let a playtester nitpick the level from a lot more perspectives than just one.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-04-2012 07:38 AM
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Hurray for double posts! A video showing the alpha stages of a map I'm currently making. Everything in there is done by me (skybox,models,textures etc.) except for the leaves & bark on the tree.

Ps. Cred to Traggey for the water texture for the raindrop.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 05:28 PM by Acies.)
04-04-2012 05:28 PM
Khyrpa Offline

(04-04-2012 05:28 PM)Acies Wrote:  Hurray for double posts! A video showing the alpha stages of a map I'm currently making. Everything in there is done by me (skybox,models,textures etc.) except for the leaves & bark on the tree.

Ps. Cred to Traggey for the water texture for the raindrop.

Perhaps handpaint the textures for fantasy/dreamy effect? ;)

(04-04-2012 07:06 AM)Pitfall Wrote:  I need to fix the light post on the dock. Anyway you don't need to go into THAT much detail on what needs improvement.

Spoiler below!

Might want to turn some of those lanterns off and think of something to do with the roofs of the castle, it just doesn't feel right.
Your mapping looks really good, the screenshot lacks good composition though so it doesn't really do it justice.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2012 03:46 PM by Khyrpa.)
04-05-2012 01:01 AM
Pitfall Offline

(04-05-2012 01:01 AM)Khyrpa Wrote:  
(04-04-2012 07:06 AM)Pitfall Wrote:  I need to fix the light post on the dock. Anyway you don't need to go into THAT much detail on what needs improvement.

Spoiler below!

Might want to turn some of those lanterns off and think of something to do with the roofs of the castle, it just doesn't feel right.
Your mapping looks really good, the screenshot lacks good composition though so it doesn't really do it justice.
If I ever get around to posting a new screen, I alredy took out some of the laterns and spaced them out a little, It started to feel cluttered. I don't know what to do with the roof tops.
04-05-2012 03:41 AM
Khyrpa Offline

Thread necro'd!

[Image: slum_1.jpg]

I've been creating a few textures and models for fun. Placed them together and took a screenshot.

I don't have time to create a full mod so I might release some of the textures if there is enough request for them.

06-26-2012 03:54 PM
kartanonperuna Offline
Posting Freak

Wow really nice,Dick.

EDIT: Or..Dhick?

Voice actor

Painful shadows

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2012 04:39 PM by kartanonperuna.)
06-26-2012 04:38 PM
Traggey Offline
Scientist of Art

Link for full view - http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2118/redlight1.jpg

[Image: redlight1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2012 08:53 PM by Traggey.)
06-26-2012 08:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)