Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Newsletter | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Nyarlathotep Offline

RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

(04-26-2012 07:31 AM)SquigPie Wrote:  Problem is that the only stuff they've done yet was Dear Esther: The Walking Simulator: the Mod: The Game, and Korsakovia, which was apparently a walking simulator whose few gameplay elements where so broken that most of their Moddb page for it is people complaining about the thing being unplayable. They never bothered to fix it.

Not a good track record for someone who now has to make real games.
Korsakovia definitely had gameplay. There were enemies, simplistic puzzles, and vague objectives required to finish. Also, literally being an experiment, many of the strange gameplay aspects were fully intentional. They know what worked and what didn't in Korsakovia.

Though. The complaints you're hearing about the mod being broken are due to crashes and errors that popped up after some major source engine updates. It's not the gameplay that's broken.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 10:28 AM by Nyarlathotep.)
04-26-2012 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user
BrooksyFC Offline

I emailed thechineseroom, just saying I'm hoping the game lives up to it's expectations blah blah blah, mentioned that were still awaiting more info (screenshots, trailers e.t.c)...and I got a reply within minutes saying:-

Quote:Hey Ryan

It's down to FG when the info comes out - we're desperate to share, just getting enough game together to justify the annoucements But soon.... soon...

d
Just a bit of useless information Smile

Think A Little, Change A Lot
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 03:16 PM by BrooksyFC.)
04-26-2012 03:16 PM
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

[Image: Cy8Bw.jpg]

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
04-26-2012 05:48 PM
Robosprog Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Mikko Tarmia for AAMFP?

Jessica curry's (Am I the only person who smirks at that last name?) music that I've listened to is fantastic - and Dear Esther from what I've seen looks fantastic and has a good story. - If Frictional Games work on the gameplay side then we could be looking at something that is yet another genre defining game from FG. (Yes, I consider Amnesia (and to an extent penumbra(BRACEPTION)) to be a genre defining game. Hell, I consider it one of the greatest games ever made)

04-26-2012 06:20 PM
dph314 Offline

(04-26-2012 03:16 PM)BrooksyFC Wrote:  I emailed thechineseroom, just saying I'm hoping the game lives up to it's expectations blah blah blah, mentioned that were still awaiting more info (screenshots, trailers e.t.c)...and I got a reply within minutes saying:-

Quote:Hey Ryan

It's down to FG when the info comes out - we're desperate to share, just getting enough game together to justify the annoucements But soon.... soon...

d
Just a bit of useless information Smile
Few bits of information are totally useless. It's good to know that they actually read fan mail and personally respond with an intelligent email. Guess we'll have to wait on that go-ahead from Frictional.
And the points made that thechineroom hasn't done anything remarkable yet is in and of itself an argument to the contrary. They don't have a 'bad track record' specifically because they haven't gone all out on a game like A Machine for Pigs yet. So I say we definitely have to wait for them to work on an actual and intentionally complete game like AMFP before we judge. We can base our opinions and first-impressions of them on the game coming out in October (hopefully Wink ).
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 08:38 PM by dph314.)
04-26-2012 08:37 PM
Gunslingerjh Offline

RE: Mikko Tarmia for AAMFP?

Jessica Curry's is definitely able to create moody music, that's for sure. Just give her a chance. Can't wait to hear her take on AMFP!

[Image: fbvv5w.jpg]
04-27-2012 08:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
SquigPie Offline

(04-26-2012 05:48 PM)Kein Wrote:  *Pony*
Gee, that improved my opinion on you.
04-27-2012 06:18 PM
GrAVit Offline

Ok, just for a moment, let's imagine that thechineseroom is a very experienced game-making company that has made dozens of top-class games with amazing atmostphere and great ratings.

04-27-2012 06:26 PM
SquigPie Offline

(04-27-2012 06:26 PM)GrAVit Wrote:  Ok, just for a moment, let's imagine that thechineseroom is a very experienced game-making company that has made dozens of top-class games with amazing atmostphere and great ratings.

Uuuh, I suppose if we set up this imaginary situation, the game might be worth looking forward to.

Then again, thechineseroom making games is something of a paradox.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 07:56 PM by SquigPie.)
04-27-2012 07:55 PM
Nyarlathotep Offline

Quote:Gee, that improved my opinion on you.
I'm sure it just kills him to know that someone on the internet doesn't like him.

Quote:Ok, just for a moment, let's imagine that thechineseroom is a very
experienced game-making company that has made dozens of top-class games
with amazing atmostphere and great ratings.

Why? Not even Frictional matches that description. Didn't stop me from loving most of the games they've done so far.

thechineseroom so far has worked on experimental mods. The one commercial remake they've done has received high ratings and is praised for being atmospheric. The quality of the writing, acting, and music in their mods alone have been top notch, better than many commercial games.

So now that they have a budget, have hired more professionals, and are aiming to create a well rounded game? Yes. I'm excited and am looking forward to it.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 08:48 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
04-27-2012 08:48 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)