Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Halo 4 permaban for sexism
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Halo 4 permaban for sexism

(11-09-2012, 12:54 AM)nackidno Wrote: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/i-...ex-change/
Except that you are no longer experiencing the game as intended anymore. That's like giving Daniel from ADD a Chinese accent, and making him speak Chinese, because people are concerned there aren't enough Chinese people as main characters in games.

Plus saying that “I’m not having my daughter growing up thinking girls don’t get to be the hero.” is silly. You're going to make it end up the other way around if you do that! My opinion? Accept a game's main character as it is intended, and that's that.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
11-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(11-09-2012, 06:00 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 12:54 AM)nackidno Wrote: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/i-...ex-change/
Except that you are no longer experiencing the game as intended anymore. That's like giving Daniel from ADD a Chinese accent, and making him speak Chinese, because people are concerned there aren't enough Chinese people as main characters in games.

Plus saying that “I’m not having my daughter growing up thinking girls don’t get to be the hero.” is silly. You're going to make it end up the other way around if you do that! My opinion? Accept a game's main character as it is intended, and that's that.
Agreed.
I can see where the guy comes from, though, and it's pretty awesome that he would go to such lengths for his daughter.
And the girl is like, 3. So she isn't exactly going to care about how the game plays, it's story, or purpose. She probably just wants to run around, so why not do this? I see it as an acceptable modification in this scenario.

Now, if doing this got feminists up in a bunch and they start declaring that ALL games need to do this...well, then there's a problem.

11-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:Except that you are no longer experiencing the game as intended anymore.
That's like giving Daniel from ADD a Chinese accent, and making him
speak Chinese, because people are concerned there aren't enough Chinese
people as main characters in games.
It's not your game getting a sex change, so what's the problem? If a chinese guy wanted Daniel to be chinese then he could change the game files for it to be so, and everyone happy. And the game clearly give you the prompt to give the character a name, which is implying that the main character is "you", why not give the option to change sex? I would understand if the game didn't give you the option to give your character a name, because that would be definite, but as it is right now, it isn't.

Quote:Plus saying that “I’m not having my daughter growing up thinking girls
don’t get to be the hero.” is silly. You're going to make it end up the
other way around if you do that! My opinion? Accept a game's main
character as it is intended, and that's that.
No it will not, because the world as it is right now will teach her that boys are strong and girls are weak either way. Unless she isolate herself, our society will take care of that. I can also understand artists integrity, intentions and all that, but giving her daughter a character to identify herself with while using an interactive medium is far more important than you'd thing. I did it, that's why I couldn't get into tomb raider, or Drakkan etc. And I'm confident that a lot of other children are the same or similar.

I personally think it's really cute and dedicated. Smile

Quote:Now, if doing this got feminists up in a bunch and they start declaring
that ALL games need to do this...well, then there's a problem.
That won't happen, I can assure you and those who really want to do this are taking things a step too far. But the thing here is that it's on a personal level that don't effect anyone, so the negatives that the dad have gotten is based on bull and fanboys that feel themselves attacked because "their" main character have changed sex in some house on one small speck on this planet, THAT is taking things too far.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM by eliasfrost.)
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Hmm...well now that I think about it, I'd say it's okay for you to "design" your own character if the game is meant for you to implant yourself onto the main character, like in games like Fallout, or Elder Scrolls. I'd say it's ok as long as they don't deviate from the universe too much.

If they decide to do so and plant something random in place of the character. Strictly speaking, it's okay. I'd say they're missing out though, because changing their character to something that breaks out of the game's setting without changing other appropriate aspects in the game (The girl's dad did this which was great!) can kind of ruin how the devs wanted you to experience the game originally.

It's kind of like what I said turning Daniel Chinese without changing appropriate dialogue, because using that really breaks out of a game's universe which goes out of it's way to state otherwise. Just saying. If someone likes it however, I won't go, and stop them if that's what they really want.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
11-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:because changing their character to something that breaks out of the
game's setting without changing other appropriate aspects in the game
(The girl's dad did this which was great!) can kind of ruin how the devs
wanted you to experience the game originally.
The devs want the player to feel like a hero, being a boy or a girl won't change that fact. But for the player to decide whether she want to be a girl or not is important in a game that obviously is supposed to make the player feel like the character, especially in a game like Zelda were the gender of the hero don't really affect the story or the universe where the game takes place. There's no actual part of any plot in any of the games that is centered around Links gender, so why not change his sex if that's what you want to do?

Quote:It's kind of like what I said turning Daniel Chinese without changing
appropriate dialogue, because using that really breaks out of a game's
universe which goes out of it's way to state otherwise. Just saying. If
someone likes it however, I won't go, and stop them if that's what they
really want.
Except in Amnesia, Daniel is a fixed character with dialogue, a very specific set of values and morals, personality and look that defines the character. In Zelda, you are just the looks, Link don't actually say anything, he has no specific moral and value setup, personality or dictate the player choices, except the goal of the game, which is to rescue Zelda. Everything else is up to the player to decide. While Daniel is more of a movie character that is actually set in stone (with some minor tweaks that makes the illusion of personal character development). But that doesn't mean you can't change the gender or ethnicity of Daniel, if you want to do that then go ahead, but he is in fact on a different level of character than Link is. And is harder to change the ethnicity and gender because he is already so fleshed out.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
11-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Halo's community knocks other Xbox communities out of the water.
11-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

Now that's sexism.
It don't frown at sexism, but I do find it weird that the dad would want to erase any traces of historical gender roles having existed. My thought goes to what must go on in his bedroom, him in pink handcuffs and his wife with a whip and wax candles.

Edit:
Also, in my frustration, I have to wonder: Why didn't he fix Metroid Other M instead? That game apparently needs fixing, because it features gender roles that most certainly wasn't there in previous games.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2012, 06:02 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
11-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(11-10-2012, 05:57 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
Now that's sexism.
It don't frown at sexism, but I do find it weird that the dad would want to erase any traces of historical gender roles having existed. My thought goes to what must go on in his bedroom, him in pink handcuffs and his wife with a whip and wax candles.
ERM A GERD!!!1!1!!!11 THET S F3NNY!!11! EV3Y1 LOL WIT M3!1
Goodness by my great, and influential deity. What an amusing point you have subjected me to! I cordially invite my fellow "inter-web" companions to join me in joyous laughter.
GAY!!!!!

the many voices of the internet~

(11-10-2012, 05:57 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Edit:
Also, in my frustration, I have to wonder: Why didn't he fix Metroid Other M instead? That game apparently needs fixing, because it features gender roles that most certainly wasn't there in previous games.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3Bu47Rnu_7XxZlc7Quxy...e3JTSntaps]

I had to.

I'm sorry, so, so sorry.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2012, 06:11 AM by failedALIAS.)
11-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(11-10-2012, 06:08 AM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 05:57 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
Now that's sexism.
ERM A GERD!!!1!1!!!11 THET S F3NNY!!11! EV3Y1 LOL WIT M3!1
Goodness by my great, and influential deity. What an amusing point you have subjected me to! I cordially invite my fellow "inter-web" companions to join me in joyous laughter.
GAY!!!!!

Gay? I was thinking in the line of him being a submissive type.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

11-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(11-10-2012, 06:29 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 06:08 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: ERM A GERD!!!1!1!!!11 THET S F3NNY!!11! EV3Y1 LOL WIT M3!1
GAY!!!!!

Gay? I was thinking in the line of him being a submissive type.
Sarcasm.
11-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Find