Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 4.62 Average
Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues
Jazz Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 10 Years, 3 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

(09-11-2013, 12:23 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: How exactly do you expect to make a patch when not knowing what causes the problem? And the refund (if you noticed) was the last thing that Jens said as the last resort. Don't hung up on that.

After the stuttering occurs, can you attach HPL.log as mentioned at the troubleshooting guide, Problem X? Maybe I can find connections.

If I get to it later today, I will. (I'm at work and I've still got 170 kilometres to go before returning home and I've got some kids to care for.) To be clear:

Fiddling with the settings didn't help at all. Performance stayed exactly the same. I expected it to be SSAO, because I needed to lower it on TDD to get good performance. Sadly, this wasn't the cause of the problem in AAMFP. Not even a bit.

Kind regards,
Jazz
09-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Find
CalinTM Offline

Threads: 6
Solved: 10 Years, 3 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

My game just patched, anyone knows the patch notes ?
09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

What's wrong with my reaction? I am saying that a computer with X configuration does not have the problem and that another computer with the exact same configuration has the problem. So I try to over and over say that there is no easy magic patch to make, because if it was a problem only due to the game then everyone with the same computer would have it. So there is something that makes this happened and then I spend a whole bunch of lines giving suggestions on what can be the cause, to find some clue what is wrong. When that clue is found, it is possible that in turn could lead us to come up with a way to improve the game.

Finally I say you can ask for a refund because you should not have to go through all this troubleshooting to play a game. Please take the time to try suggestions out.

(09-11-2013, 12:18 PM)Jazz Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 12:11 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [...]

Bottom line, try some things first. Don't just pile up complains. This is not Ubisoft for example where there are 50 people trying to help. Keep that in mind.

Really: I don't want to complain. I want to shit my pants and stop playing because of how scary this game is, not because the game is "broken" in its current state.

And since when did Ubisoft or EA really help their customers? Those guys only help themselves. I have Frictional in very high regard... Jens' reaction just wasn't the reaction I expected. It is just not done, I think. You don't treat customers like this. Telling them to go f*ck themselves isn't solving problems either.

Kind regards,
Jazz
09-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Website Find
pitcard Offline

Threads: 1

(09-11-2013, 12:23 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: How exactly do you expect to make a patch when not knowing what causes the problem? And the refund (if you noticed) was the last thing that Jens said as the last resort. Don't hung up on that.

After the stuttering occurs, can you attach HPL.log as mentioned at the troubleshooting guide, Problem X? Maybe I can find connections.

I've tried the tweaks you've listed (including SSAO reduction; in fact, turning if off still gives rise to issues) but the same error occurs.

I've attached an hpl.log, it's spitting out all kinds of bizarre errors (and I doubt a re-install will alleviate them) Ignore the lowish framerate, the stutters occur when the framerate drops quite sharply, regardless of Vsync on or off.

In fact, it still happens with the lowest possible settings, Vsync on or off. When running Fraps in the background, the stutters occur below the game's refresh rate cap (60 here) when it heads into the mid-high 50s (with Vsync off)

From the log file, it seems like it's having a hard time mapping objects? Maybe that overhead causes slowdown?

I would like to know what's causing it, anyway. I also think that everyone else should post their hpl.log too, as suggested, to get more developer attention on this.

Attached Files
.zip   hpl.zip (Size: 7.62 KB / Downloads: 93)
09-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(09-11-2013, 01:13 PM)pitcard Wrote: From the log file, it seems like it's having a hard time mapping objects? Maybe that overhead causes slowdown?

From experience I know that when the game starts to log lots of errors small lagging can occur. Maybe this stuttering is the result of that. Not sure at all yet. It could be plenty of other operating system issues.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM by plutomaniac.)
09-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Find
SpaceJesus55 Offline

Threads: 0

This is sort if detestable. Yes - frictional games is an independent studio, a damn good one at that, but for all those who support FG and preordered or simply just bought the game after release are entitled to the quality experience FG has provided in the past. It is clear that though this problem seems to be random in who it affects, it can not be denied that those who are experiencing it, don't seem to even want to proceed onward with the game. It is one thing to excuse FG because they are a small studio, but when a moderate posts "You should ask for a refund." I do actually feel pretty insulted. I understand the mods on this forum are not developers, but they are the voice of the company - if they post a lazy response, one can only assume the developers are being lazy as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM by SpaceJesus55.)
09-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Excuse me but where exactly did I:

1) Told you to get a refund
2) Posted a lazy response

Where? Please, I want to know.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 02:07 PM by plutomaniac.)
09-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I'm sure I am the moderator with the refund Smile
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Jens is the co-founder of Frictional Games and his forum title reflects that. Moderators are pink (me), admins/FG stuff are red (jens). Just throwing that out there...
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Find
CalinTM Offline

Threads: 6

So that patch you released only added adaptive vsync into the settings ?
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Find