Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Religion
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Religion

(11-02-2013, 02:29 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: The Universe was created. That is why. I know you are going to ask where my evidence is, but the only possible way to prove it was to go back to that moment and see it for yourself, and that we cannot do. But there is no evidence from science that says it is eternal, like there is no evidence to say that it isn't eternal, and most likely because of the aforementioned reasons.

Where did the concept of purpose come from? Certainly not from Man. And once again I raise Good and Evil; right and wrong. Also cannot be from Man. Man is smart, I'll give us that, but how can one person, or even multiple Men, come up with such concepts on their own?

Surely there must be some part of you that questions. I came here not only to speak, but to listen, and see what other people believe. I also came to defend my faith, and that I am doing right now, because I believe that He is worth fighting for, and that there is something that made us worth dying for.
Bolded: This is not a fact because:

Quote:I know you are going to ask where my evidence is

Underlined:

I don't know where the concept of purpose came from.

Good and Evil DO NOT EXIST universally.
Mankind created these concepts when it started organising societies. They are quite useful in areas like justice, relationships, organization, management, politics, peaceful living, etc.

However there is no universal good or evil.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 02:39 PM by BAndrew.)
11-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

But how do you know that people created good and evil? After all, there is no evidence to support it, and you don't believe in anything that hasn't been tested.

At the moment, you must think that I stand alone in this argument, but if that were the case:
A) I would have abandoned long ago.
B) The thread would probably already be locked.
I must say, you are all worthy opponents. My respect goes to you guys, even as I continue on. This is not a message of defeat, but a message just to say that you are all keeping up well, and that you clearly have a talent to argue a point.

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
11-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23

(11-02-2013, 02:55 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: But how do you know that people created good and evil? After all, there is no evidence to support it, and you don't believe in anything that hasn't been tested.

I don't know for sure but it is very likely because it is the most logical answer that has been proposed.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

11-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

I was being sarcastic, and you take it seriously? :S

11-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(11-02-2013, 02:55 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: But how do you know that people created good and evil? After all, there is no evidence to support it, and you don't believe in anything that hasn't been tested.

What is considered good and evil differs from culture to culture and I would venture a guess and say that is a very large part of where the concepts come from.

Good and evil also does not require the existence of a deity.

I also don't believe in Good and Evil. Black and white don't exist in the world, just several shades of grey. I do believe in "Being a dick to people/not being a dick to people" which is a much more helpful world view.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 03:11 PM by Ghieri.)
11-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

(11-02-2013, 03:10 PM)Ghieri Wrote:

What is considered good and evil differs from culture to culture and I would venture a guess and say that is a very large part of where the concepts come from.

Good and evil also does not require the existence of a deity.

I also don't believe in Good and Evil. Black and white don't exist in the world, just several shades of grey. I do believe in "Being a dick to people/not being a dick to people" which is a much more helpful world view.

Did I say that it did? Most certainly not.
I'm just saying that animals couldn't have created good and evil, and that it seems a longer shot to say that man invented them.

11-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

There is no meaning to be found in the world beyond what meaning we give to it, but instead of accepting that it is meaningless we invent things to keep us from accepting this pointless existence. Either by turning to a higher power or inventing our own meaning. I have chosen the latter and have created my own personal meaning. However, I maintain an ironic distance between my invented meaning and the Absurd. Knowing that my life carries no meaning, I keep on living and confront the Absurd.

You could say I am living in denial.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
11-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Life cannot be pointless. If it is, then we are not worthy of it. Thinking that life is pointless and has no purpose drives many people to suicide.
Anyways, I'm off to slumber now.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 03:35 PM by TheWalshinator.)
11-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(11-02-2013, 03:34 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: Life cannot be pointless. If it is, then we are not worthy of it. Thinking that life is pointless and has no purpose drives many people to suicide.

For some people yes, the acceptance of the absurdity and pointlessness can be the most dangerous thing, however, it may also relieve a lot of pressure. Nothing is demanded of you, you don't need to do anything, nothing to fear, you are free.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
11-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

TheWalshinator, what's your opinion of the theory of evolution by natural selection? That's not a loaded/trick question, I'm genuinely curious.
11-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Find