Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Religion
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Religion

(11-02-2013, 03:37 PM)i3670 Wrote:
(11-02-2013, 03:34 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: Life cannot be pointless. If it is, then we are not worthy of it. Thinking that life is pointless and has no purpose drives many people to suicide.

For some people yes, the acceptance of the absurdity and pointlessness can be the most dangerous thing, however, it may also relieve a lot of pressure. Nothing is demanded of you, you don't need to do anything, nothing to fear, you are free.

Christianity is believing that we have already been saved, and that through Jesus' blood we have been made righteous.
I think this is can give you a good idea of how Christianity works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

Paddy: Evolution has only ever been a theory as well as the Big Bang, where people used to cling to God for guidance, but obviously something happened, and many didn't get what they were expecting when they wanted it; thus setting out to disprove His existence.
What do you mean "by natural selection"?

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 10:19 PM by TheWalshinator.)
11-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(11-02-2013, 10:18 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: Paddy: Evolution has only ever been a theory...

Ahh, I was afraid you'd say that. The popularly understood definition of the word "theory", and the one which you used just now, is "a hypothesis which has yet to be proven, or for which there is currently insufficient evidence, or something which is flaky and not really true at all". This is not the meaning of the word scientists use:

http://www.wordnik.com/words/theory

Evolution by natural selection is not a mere hypothesis; it's something which is as real, true and scientifically sound as our understanding of the movement of the planets in the solar system or the motion of the tides.

The theory of gravity isn't just a theory, after all. Nor is music theory. Evolution is not a hypothesis, it's as much "a fact" as science can possibly allow for, given its constant vulnerability to revision as new evidence is discovered.

(11-02-2013, 10:18 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: What do you mean "by natural selection"?

Natural selection is the process by which species are chosen (not literally chosen, of course; evolution has no conscious will or design) to survive and reproduce, a process which favours those species which are best able to survive.

Organisms mutate randomly, the vast majority of mutations being detrimental to the species. The mutations which give the species an advantage and a better chance of passing on its genetic material will become the norm of that species, and will thus be "naturally selected". For instance, a giraffe with a short neck won't have as good a chance of surviving and reproducing as one with a long neck, because the longer neck bestows advantages for survival upon the animal. The gene which carries the "longer neck" trait will be passed on because those giraffes with longer necks will reproduce more often.

If you know someone who breeds dogs, or pigeons, or roses, you will see the same process at work. In this case, however, the selection is not "natural"; the traits which are most pleasing to the breeder will be selected for. In nature, the process is unguided.

Evolutionary theory was not born out of a desire to disprove God.
11-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(11-02-2013, 10:18 PM)TheWalshinator Wrote: Christianity is believing that we have already been saved, and that through Jesus' blood we have been made righteous.
I think this is can give you a good idea of how Christianity works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

That would mean living with a hope of salvation. I do not want that.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
11-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I saw this and I think it so beautifully mocks Westboro baptist without actually using personal insults against the two guests. I love it so much I just have to share it:

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
11-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

There are a few things in that video from the guests that I can relate to, some things that I don't agree with.
- Bringing the sign in was a dick move. They shouldn't have done that.
- Calling him an advocate of sin may be true, but saying that he hates everyone through this is incorrect.
- "Love thy neighbour as thyself". True. But that doesn't mean you come straight out with "OHHHH! YOU SINNED! YOU'RE GOING TO BURN IN HEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLL!!!" Because that is NOT what God is about. If you fail to warn your neighbour, it does not mean that you hate them in your heart. It simply means that either you sometimes don't have the courage to tell them so or it is not what they NEED to hear. People need hope, as much as they'd like to think that they don't.
- Saying that people hate each other won't solve anything, in fact it will have an opposite effect.
- If they were called to speak on the show, fair enough. But, as humans, it is impossible to live a sin-free life, repenting of that sin is what is important.
- God's fixed determination is not to punish the wicked. That is blasphemy. God's fixed determination is that all can be saved to have a relationship with him because He loves us.
- God condemns sin, but doesn't condemn people. Hell was not made for man, hell was made for Satan and his angels.
- "Except that; you don't get to define the love of God." "Nor do you!" Hit the nail right on the head. He was also right about the readings of Jesus.
- Right; we can't get anywhere in our own strength.
- All of God's commandments have equal importance. Not one of them is less than the other.
- Giving God glory is important, but don't condemn someone if they don't, as long as they still live and breathe, there is still hope for them.
- God does love the sinner, but hates the sin. Saying that that is a lie is blasphemy.
- I don't really want to go into a debate about homosexuals, so I will only say this: if you are gay, I have no problem with you and will respect you, just keep it to yourself.
- There is nothing wrong with hugging a guy if you're a guy, and there is nothing wrong with telling a guy that you love them (Just don't say it to me in a homosexual meaning, because I am afraid that I won't share that kind of love for you, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it)

As for mocking them, on some points I think fair enough, but don't be a total dick to someone about their beliefs.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013, 08:05 AM by TheWalshinator.)
11-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(11-03-2013, 06:22 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: - I don't really want to go into a debate about Christianity, so I will only say this: if you are a Christian, I have no problem with you and will respect you, just keep it to yourself.

Fixed.

I'm sure the homosexuals reading your post will feel truly "respected" by your caveats.

(11-03-2013, 06:22 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: - There is nothing wrong with hugging a guy if you're a guy, and there is nothing wrong with telling a guy that you love them (as long as you don't mean it in the homosexual way)

I'm genuinely 50/50 on whether or not you're kidding...

(11-03-2013, 06:22 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: As for mocking them, on some points I think fair enough, but don't be a total dick to someone about their beliefs.

With the greatest respect, the biggest dicks on that stage are the WBC. They picket funerals, terrorise and harass grieving family members, torment homosexuals, and basically tick every box on the "how to be a dick" check-list. I don't care what they believe as much as I care about how they behave. Their behaviour is indefensible.

Having said that, not all beliefs were created equal. Not everyone is entitled to equal respect, irrespective of what they believe. If you believe and spout toxic, bilious nonsense you're going to be rightly condemned, mocked and shamed for it. I don't subscribe to the idea that personal belief is exempt from critique, certainly not if that personal belief is presented as truth in public, or if it informs public policy and law.
11-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

(11-03-2013, 06:58 AM)Paddy™ Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 06:22 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: - There is nothing wrong with hugging a guy if you're a guy, and there is nothing wrong with telling a guy that you love them (as long as you don't mean it in the homosexual way)

I'm genuinely 50/50 on whether or not you're kidding...

I'm not kidding. I will hug guys. Not in a homosexual way (ass is off limits), but there is nothing wrong with it. The world has just "taught" us on what is "manly".

(11-03-2013, 06:58 AM)Paddy™ Wrote: With the greatest respect, the biggest dicks on that stage are the WBC. They picket funerals, terrorise and harass grieving family members, torment homosexuals, and basically tick every box on the "how to be a dick" check-list. I don't care what they believe as much as I care about how they behave. Their behaviour is indefensible.

Agreed.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 07:17 AM by TheWalshinator.)
11-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(11-03-2013, 06:58 AM)Paddy™ Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 06:22 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: - I don't really want to go into a debate about Christianity, so I will only say this: if you are a Christian, I have no problem with you and will respect you, just keep it to yourself.
Fixed.

I'm sure the homosexuals reading your post will feel truly "respected" by your caveats.
hurr

[Image: p229xcq]
11-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(11-03-2013, 07:16 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: I'm not kidding. I will hug guys. Not in a homosexual way (ass is off limits), but there is nothing wrong with it. The world has just "taught" us on what is "manly".

I think Paddy was more concerned with the implication you made that it is NOT okay to tell a guy you love him in a homosexual way...

What's wrong with that?

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 07:31 AM by Kreekakon.)
11-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

(11-03-2013, 07:30 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 07:16 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: I'm not kidding. I will hug guys. Not in a homosexual way (ass is off limits), but there is nothing wrong with it. The world has just "taught" us on what is "manly".

I think Paddy was more concerned with the implication you made that it is NOT okay to tell a guy you love him in a homosexual way...

What's wrong with that?

Oh, I simply meant that it's something you won't hear me saying in a homosexual way. Once again, nothing against them, I just wouldn't feel comfortable if a guy told me he loved me in a homosexual way (Hence, why I said keep it to yourselves).

11-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Find