Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Brothers with Down Syndrome.
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Down with the downs.

(04-29-2014, 01:01 PM)Red Wrote: I think even autist learns if you teach him, maybe even with bit harsher methods, have you tried shouting? (And yes, Fus ro dah works the best, if you think that way)

Well, I'm not going to shout at him. My parents are the one to raise him, not me. And they've tried shouting. Tried telling him.
And we've experienced that it does not work.

EDIT: Also throw sounds really dangerous... It's not a real throw. It's weaker. The only thing that made my ear bleed was because it was a fork.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 01:33 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
RE: Brothers with Down Syndrome.

Been playing with kids having down syndrome. My parents are working in a "school"-like thing for impaired kids and when I was younger (9-10 years old) they were often taking me to them. So yeah I have some experience with these kids :p
05-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(05-03-2014, 09:31 PM)Lazzer Wrote: Been playing with kids having down syndrome. My parents are working in a "school"-like thing for impaired kids and when I was younger (9-10 years old) they were often taking me to them. So yeah I have some experience with these kids :p

They're all different Smile
Just like normal kids.

I hope you enjoyed it!

05-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

that's the conscious part, not the subconscious.

Quote:Children with Down syndrome have a propensity to engage in behaviours that can be particularly problematic for family members and caregivers, as well as professionals who work with them. Such behaviour, referred to by Doss and Reichle (1991) as challenging behaviour, is defined as that which results "…in self-injury or injury of others, causes damage to the physical environment, interferes with the acquisition of new skills, and/or socially isolates the learner"

Quote:two major functional categories of behaviour as either to obtain or to escape/avoid. That is, behaviour may function to obtain consequences such as attention (e.g., from a parent or teacher) and access to objects (e.g., snacks, toys) or activities (e.g., recess, trip to the park). Behaviour may also function to escape/avoid consequences such as attention (e.g., interactions with peers) and objects (e.g., certain foods) or activities (e.g., academic tasks).

they are just like human beings. They do things to get the desired result. If fr throwing a fork at your face they get punished with a silent treatment or with going to their room they will throw a fork at you to get that reult. If things are hectic and they want everyone to calm down, he may drop a glass.

Nobody likes pain. And, i'm not advocating it here, just saying that how -> I <- would try at least once to handle these situations with is pain. A good ass whoopin, a sharp (very much so) pinch to the arm, whereas yelling/screaming can just be percieved as attention, neither good nor bad, but in our deepest genes "pain" is a bad thing. a negative thing.

Quote:The second component of the functional behaviour assessment process consists of direct observation of the individual and documentation of events that occur prior to and following the challenging behaviour. One example is an antecedent-behaviour-consequence (ABC) analysis, in which antecedents and consequences are documented as they occur in the natural environment. The child is observed during his/her daily routine and the occurrence of challenging behaviours, events that precede the specific behaviour (antecedents), and events that follow the specific behaviour (consequences) are documented. Analysis of the pattern of antecedents and consequences results in a hypothesised function of the challenging behaviour..

ex.
Child playing on floor, parent attending to sibling.
Child climbs onto table
Caregiver rushes over, swoops child up, telling her "No, no, honey, that's dangerous" followed by a hug and a kiss. Caregiver puts child down with toys and plays with child
Therefore, Climbing on table = Attention. Whether negative, or positive, it is attention.

To help enforce the "Negative/Positive attention, they are the same thing" argument, there are two different kinds of Extroverts. Those who seek Positive, and those who seek negative attention.

Bullies, People looking for a fight, ect. are out to find and recieve negative attention.

But hey, all I know is what I read on the internet, maybe you (parents) give it a try, maybe you dont, maybe they have their own damn way of doing things and "I ain't gonna change how i act for nobody just cause they think somethings a good idea" because they are narrow minded.

All in how you view things ^.^

05-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Living with a brother with OCD is bad enough.

[Image: luv.gif]
05-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

I used to work with severely/profoundly autistic and developmentally disabled individuals. They may have trouble connecting cause and effect, and it usually takes tons of repetition, but they're capable as any of learning right/wrong.
You have a good heart.

05-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Some people that are nice have terrible hearts.

Just saying =P

Yeah your a good person ^.^

05-04-2014, 02:33 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(05-04-2014, 02:33 AM)WIWWM Wrote: Some people that are nice have terrible hearts.

Just saying =P

Yeah your a good person ^.^

Haha, true. I was speaking from experience, and I had difficulty being as patient as flawless, so I had some reason behind my compliment.

05-04-2014, 02:38 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

if you think hitting/spanking/inflicting any form of physical pain is the key to disciplining a child (especially one that lacks the level of social understanding and reasoning abilities that most do such as a child with down syndrome) please do not have kids

Posting Freak
05-04-2014, 03:34 AM
Website Find
Posting Freak

I'm just worried that he won't understand why he's getting a punishment.
What Abraxas said, Cause and Effect.

He'll know: "I'm getting a punishment right now and I don't like it".
But he won't think "That's probably because I did a bad thing".
That is how I understand it. Smile

Now please don't think that he throws every now and then. It only happens when he is in this mood where he's not himself.
Last time was like 2 weeks ago...

05-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Find