Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Monsters origin?
Rodriguez Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Monsters origin?

Amnesia wouldn't be the same, if the story is fully reveiled. It is supposed that the story you experience is a collection of memory fragments, thus keeping you in the dark basically and leaves certain aspects open for speculation.
It keeps the game interesting, look at the Half Life Series, in their story there are also certain parts which arent reveiled, like G-Man for instance. Same with Amnesia, it's supposed to be that way, so the talk about the game stays interesting.

I think the monsters are some sort of fleshgolem, Alexander controls to kill Daniel, because Alexander is afraid Daniel will interrupt his ceremony. At one point he gets captured by these "Brutes", they didn't kill him there. But these creatures are designed to kill, they are the guardians of Alexander while he is vulnerable, the water monster could be an anomaly, which occured during the experiments with the Brutes. They could be just energy. But i'm going too far already Wink
12-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid37730

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Find
lasius Offline

Threads: 0

Notice that it's ancient_game_overview.pdf files your looking. There are lots of other things written on it that didn't appear in game, like note about available weapons:

Quote:The types
of weapons available are close ranged melee weapons, bow and arrow, various bottles of alchemy
potions that can be thrown (think grenades with different effects) and a very rare flint lock gun.
12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Okay, let's compare how much conceptual things exist in the game and how much not since then.
Tell me the scores.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Find
Childerich Offline

Threads: 1

(12-06-2010, 08:47 AM)lasius Wrote:
Quote:The types
of weapons available are close ranged melee weapons, bow and arrow, various bottles of alchemy
potions that can be thrown (think grenades with different effects) and a very rare flint lock gun.

I'm really glad those ideas were scrapped. Amnesia wouldn't have been the same if you had had the possibility to fight back.
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Find
Smith14 Offline

Threads: 3

(12-02-2010, 10:05 AM)Kein Wrote: Those just a rumors. It was Baron, Daniel, Wilhelm and his ppl who were stealing other ppl in the woods/villages.

I think those rumors have something to them. The folklore letter was written in 1801, almost 40 years before Daniel was invited into the castle.

Spoiler below!
Alexander/Agrippa have some sort of supernatural element about them. there are consistent rumors of Alexander being over 300+ years old. But I think it is fact that he restored the castle late in the 16th century, so he is much older than a lifetime at the least. Agrippa apparently disappeared well before 1839 as well. It likely has something to do with his cult/rituals/orb, which grants such powers.

That being said, I think the monsters or "gathers" are some sort of supernatural servants of Alexander with the purpose of gathering humans from the local village and torturing them for their vitae. Alexander's "prison" has been long established before Daniel came.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2011, 11:55 PM by Smith14.)
01-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

May be from woods, but definitely not from villages. They're way too stupid.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

I don't think that memory has anything to do with the monsters origin.

I do recall however, that if you have the commentary enabled, theres a node in the wine cellar that talks about how it wanted to teach the players about the monsters origin. This is around the part where theres people trapped in a room and one guy says "My chest feels like its about to burst".

i spam meme 4 raeg
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

So, I was pretty concerned that my theory about the monster's not being real isn't correct, but I just realized that the only monster in the game which wasn't "made" by Alexander (or, to be more correct: which is not from *this* world) DOES NOT disappear after killing you. Guess what the monster it is? Yep, Waterlurker. Weyer brought those species from other world. I tried to die tons of times and they still here when you come back to senses/respawn. They are, indeed, but not Grunts or Brutes. Those things disappear.

And now I wonder...

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
02-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Find
LSunday Offline

Threads: 1

From what I got from the story, Alexander doesn't come from our world. He came over, and couldn't get back without an orb. He then tried to construct a way to replicate the way he came through (he references a Traveler's Watch or something similar) using human technology (there's a note in the Control Room at the cistern of Alexander complaining about steam technology being huge and unwieldy). So, Alexander came from the same world as the Kaernk, and he managed to try to get back once before with the help of Agrippa and Weyer. Only Weyer went through instead of Alexander (there are a few notes of Alexander yelling at someone else who went through the portal without him). Alexander's memory cylinders constantly talk of getting back to his love (I think it means he left someone behind in his own world, that he's trying to get back to).

Anyway, Alexander came to our world, and tried to invent a way back by kidnapping people in the woods, and turning some of them into the Gatherers (the first victims were the Deserters, starting the legend in the nearby town), while using others to harvest the vitae, an energy generated by terror (There's a note in the tortured dog room about how only humans generate enough of it).

So, Alexander needed an Orb, Vitae, and a complicated steam-powered contraption based on the designs from an alien world. He used the Gatherers to construct the machine, the prisoners to create vitae, and Daniel to get an orb and hold off the shadow long enough to get home. (That's why there's a note about Alexander regretting that he has to abandon Daniel, the same way Weyer/Agrippa did to him).

So, the Kaernk is a creature from Alexander's world- The Gatherers are creatures made by Alexander to construct the machine- The shadow is a Guardian of the orbs on Earth.

As far as the men in the Wine Cellar, I always thought that Alexander mixed the potion that 'reacted explosively with organic matter' in with the wine, causing the men's stomachs to explode. He does say in one of the notes in the archives that something along the lines of "maybe I can use this setback to deal with my other problem," which I inferred to mean using the failed potion to get rid of Wilheim before Wilheim reported him.

The reason Alexander used Wilheim is because Humans are smarter than Gatherers, which are mindless brutes. He only used Gatherers because they don't ask questions.
02-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Find