Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Need help with the tools
Exildor Offline

Threads: 1
Need help with the tools

Hello, i have not yet tried the tools and i am not experienced in any way when it comes to scripting, but still i want to give it a try.

so here is the question, i tried 2 install the tools: have them in my game directory and then i followed the tutorial on how to set up a dev environment
HERE
and now i cant even seem to launch the game at all,i do believe i have done everything correct but i will leave my main_settings.cfg & user_settings.cfg

.cfg   main_settings.cfg (Size: 1.15 KB / Downloads: 146)

.cfg   user_settings.cfg (Size: 333 bytes / Downloads: 146)
thanks in advance for all help and answears
Edit: i deleted(moved them out of the folder, incase i need them for later) and i am now able to launch the game again, but i still dont have acces to the tools
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2010, 12:31 AM by Exildor.)
10-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Need help with the tools

You access the tools through your files... you can make a shortcut of it by dragging the file into your desktop.

If you got it from steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\amnesia the dark descent

The file will be called "LevelEditor.exe"

10-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Find
Exildor Offline

(10-17-2010, 01:34 AM)Kyle Wrote: You access the tools through your files... you can make a shortcut of it by dragging the file into your desktop.

If you got it from steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\amnesia the dark descent

But how can i acces them if i cant even launch the game?
(10-17-2010, 10:12 AM)Exildor Wrote:
(10-17-2010, 01:34 AM)Kyle Wrote: You access the tools through your files... you can make a shortcut of it by dragging the file into your desktop.

But how can i acces them if i cant even launch the game?

Edit: ok so now i can acces the game i skip the menu automaticly and i am now in game and able to ope the debug toolbar by pressing f1..
but i cannot acces any of the tools i have tried every single one of them and i get this error message : (norwegian) programmet kan ikke starte fordi sdl.dll ikke finnes det porblemet kan la seg løse ved å installere programmet på nytt..
roughly translated: the program can not start because SDL.dll does not exist, this can be solved by reinstalling the program

what to do?
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2010, 10:21 AM by Exildor.)
10-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

I'm sorry, I do not know. Maybe there is a difference between the english.lang files of the game and then norwegian.lang

10-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Find
Exildor Offline

(10-17-2010, 10:37 AM)Kyle Wrote: I'm sorry, I do not know. Maybe there is a difference between the english.lang files of the game and then norwegian.lang

oh the file is in English its the same as all others, but i get the error message in norwegian because its a error message from my norwegian Windows,
apparently a file is missing or something
10-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19

Checking your cfg files, these lines in user_settings.cfg rendered the file broken:

<Map File=my_map.map"" Folder=MyMaps/"" StartPos="" />

should be

<Map File="my_map.map" Folder="MyMaps/" StartPos="" />

and my text editor shows you used some unicode chars (0093 and 0094) instead of the double quotes in AllowQuickSave="true".

As for the editors not starting problem, that error tells that it cannot find some library needed to run, so that means you are using a wrong working directory. The editor executables should be located right where the game executable is. Note that if you create shortcuts to them, you will need to set up the working directory in the shortcut parameters (simply put the full path to the game exe directory there).

EOF
10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Find
Exildor Offline

(10-17-2010, 12:13 PM)Luis Wrote: Checking your cfg files, these lines in user_settings.cfg rendered the file broken:

<Map File=my_map.map"" Folder=MyMaps/"" StartPos="" />

should be

<Map File="my_map.map" Folder="MyMaps/" StartPos="" />

and my text editor shows you used some unicode chars (0093 and 0094) instead of the double quotes in AllowQuickSave="true".

As for the editors not starting problem, that error tells that it cannot find some library needed to run, so that means you are using a wrong working directory. The editor executables should be located right where the game executable is. Note that if you create shortcuts to them, you will need to set up the working directory in the shortcut parameters (simply put the full path to the game exe directory there).
does that mean that i use the wrong " ? or something? because i saw that mine where different from the ones in the wiki
10-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19

Yeah, exactly.

EOF
10-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Find
Exildor Offline

(10-18-2010, 04:36 PM)Luis Wrote: Yeah, exactly.

Finnaly made it work! thanks for all help, i love you guys at frictional! keep the good work up!:3
10-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Find