Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 20 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Work in progress Envy the Dead
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: Envy the Dead

There is something else to consider too. The mod will be continued Q2 2012 because of all the work that I will have to do these following months. Otherwise, if I had the time and maybe a team, it would be something like Q1 2012. This mod will be big and it is true that I started to learn by doing this a few months back.

Well, in the meantime you could play White Night which will probably be released Q4 2011 and not 2012 from Tanshaydar. Believe me, it is very hard to do a modern mod in such an engine.

[Image: NewSkybox.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2011, 09:42 PM by plutomaniac.)
08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Find
Hermoor Offline

Threads: 8

If you have roughly like 70-80 years on earth. Is a small mod for a small indie game worth 2 years of your time? I think you should aim higher...just saying Wink Heheh i was hoping to see the model inside and moving within a few weeks of it being made. Guess it will take more than a year xD

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live"
-Lin Yutang
08-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Imagine an ordinary young man who knows a lot about computers but when it comes to gaming all he knows is how to play them, configure settings, tweak them, make them work etc...

Now one day someone tells him: Hey, start to make your own mod/game/story. Learn the tools, how to convert, what a .dae file is, what a .mat file is, what are meshes and normals, what are planes, entities and billboards. What flickering means, make an entity. Tell a story, even if you haven't done it before in your life, and remember...make it interesting. Also, learn to script in a language never seen before. I know that you only know some very basic c++ scripting but go ahead and learn to script. Oh and you should also know to make models of your own and animate them! Moreover, although the engine is set at 1839 you will make a modern 2000 mod. Good luck!

The normal reaction is thisDodgy:

[Image: 233856-91934-crazy-old-man_super.gif]

Guess what: ALL THESE WERE ME a few months back!

As said before, if I had more time it would go out at Q1 2012 and not Q4. But because I have lots of other things to do, EtD will not take all my time and certainly not my whole life. Also, people live nowadays 80-90 years approximately.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM by plutomaniac.)
08-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19

It takes quite a long time to make a good custom story without making custom models. Like pluto said, making all the objects and entities for a modern mod is quite an undertaking. It could take a year just to make all the models (depending how much free time you have). I know for me personally it took close to 80 hours just to make a decent demo of my first custom story. For people who don't have a ton of full time (have jobs, families, etc.) that could be a month or two. So making a full length mod that is a total conversion could easily take a year or more if you want it to be good quality.

Atlantia - An Amnesia: The Dark Descent Full Conversion Mod
08-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Find
hkkomiltinn Away

Threads: 7

plutomaniac you should let other people help you
08-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Thank you Selyp, really...thx! Smile

I don't have time at the moment so you could say the project is on hold until Q2 2012 except from some small stuff that I may do regularly.

I'm not even sure if I will have time to play White Night when it is released. Imagine how big a disappointment that is since WN is my idol when creating EtD.

Also I need to first play WN and then make a good story since I have no idea how to tell a story. But Tan does and that's what White Night is for.

The more you wait, the better it will be.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM by plutomaniac.)
08-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Program to create nice Trailers?

Just for general usage and future reference, can you recommend anything when it comes to creating a nice custom story trailer?

Thank you in advance... Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM by plutomaniac.)
08-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Program to create nice Trailers?

You mean, like video editors? The easiest, feature-rich video editor i've used is AVS Video Editor. But if for Amnesia, you're better off with Sony Vegas Movie Studio (due to the more advanced gamma/levels adjustments), though Sony Vegas has a very non-intuitive interface. I use FRAPS to record just about everything. For general purpose you shouldn't need more than this; creativity is normally dependent on the user not the tools.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I use Fraps to record Amnesia videos but until now I edited them later in Windows Movie Maker which sucks. Completely sucks for such work. So I am actually looking for a good video editor as you said. I don't want something spectacular but some fade in-out effects and stuff like that are completely necessary. So in your opinion, AVS Video Editor should suit me?
08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

You should be able to do any of the brightness / contrast / gamma stuff with VDUB. (Also a good chance to convert from fraps to a different lossless codec (lagarith, UTvideo...)- i'd advise against using fraps codec when editing files in a video editor, fraps decoder has a habit of totally messing up frames for me in vegas.). As for video editors, it really depends how much you want to do. Blender has a "video sequence editor", and that is free, though i can't say i've ever used it.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2011, 02:40 PM by Apjjm.)
08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Find