Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

Thief: TDP - Return to the Cathedral. Need I say more?
04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Find
Chris Deveaux Offline

Threads: 3

(04-17-2013, 09:05 PM)Bridge Wrote: Thief: TDP - Return to the Cathedral. Need I say more?

ooh I loved that mission and the game is greatBig Grin
04-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Find
sasaluvsamnesia7 Offline

Threads: 0

The monsters did become quite predictable as TDD progressed. I hope that one major change on monster appearance is that they most usually never appear when we use items or solve puzzles (though this may very well change greatly with talk of this game having no inventory.) And I think it may very well be more of a challenge without chase music. It would mean the player having to be far more on alert compared to in TDD, to take things slow and now run everywhere.

That's another thing. The run effect should be different somehow, I think. I barely ran at all when I played TDD because I wanted to enjoy the game, but many gamers abuse it, especially in custom stories. Some people work very hard to make those, and work out their plot lines that go ignored by certain players I've seen.

I have much hopes for AMFP. I bet the monsters will be far more intelligent than Grunts and Brutes. I do hope so, anyway. It'll make it more challenging, especially if the scare factor is superb.

Well, one thing's for certain. No matter the changes or things kept in from the old game, I'm going to take my time and appreciate this game. If there is a run option, I won't use it unless I have to.
04-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Find
Spaceman Offline

Threads: 1

(04-17-2013, 05:58 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(04-17-2013, 05:14 PM)Bridge Wrote: I would definitely like for scripted monster encounters to be de-emphasized.

Hehe, I'm the complete opposite. Scripted monster encounters are swell, just make them less predictable. Smile

Kotch: I believe you can already play Amnesia without the blurry effects - you can turn them off in the settings.

I also like the monster music because it's very ambient and sets the mood, but it does lead to the kind of playstyle that Dogfood described. I think the best solution would be to link monster music to perceived monster proximity: if the monster is close enough that the player can hear it or see it, start ambient music. Smile

People always said 'just turn off the effects'. How does one actually do that? I've seen that comment loads and I went sifting through ATDD's settings and I never saw an option to do that :/

[Image: tumblr_meuosnsjDw1s01xwto1_500.gif]
04-18-2013, 02:38 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

(04-18-2013, 02:38 AM)Spaceman Wrote:
(04-17-2013, 05:14 PM)Bridge Wrote: I would definitely like for scripted monster encounters to be de-emphasized.

Hehe, I'm the complete opposite. Scripted monster encounters are swell, just make them less predictable. Smile

Kotch: I believe you can already play Amnesia without the blurry effects - you can turn them off in the settings.

I also like the monster music because it's very ambient and sets the mood, but it does lead to the kind of playstyle that Dogfood described. I think the best solution would be to link monster music to perceived monster proximity: if the monster is close enough that the player can hear it or see it, start ambient music. Smile

People always said 'just turn off the effects'. How does one actually do that? I've seen that comment loads and I went sifting through ATDD's settings and I never saw an option to do that :/
You can turn of some of the insanity filters but you can't turn of that chase music.
still BP beste FG game evarrrrrr
04-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Find
Themaagen Offline

Well imo the despawning can actually work, if not overly used... I don't know about you, but i got the whole "Am i going insane? Am I seeing things?" The game did a lot of that (piano suddenly playing, girl screaming for help, footsteps etc.). And if a game can make me as a player become sceptically of what i see and hear in the game - that's awesome Big Grin
04-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(04-18-2013, 07:55 AM)maarten12100 Wrote: You can turn of some of the insanity filters but you can't turn of that chase music.
still BP beste FG game evarrrrrr

NSFW:
Spoiler below!

You could use this and replace the terror meter.ogg file with one that is silent Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Find
ex3ctum Offline

This really rustles my jimmies!
04-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(04-18-2013, 02:38 AM)Spaceman Wrote:

Go to Graphics>Advanced Options and from there uncheck "Insanity".

^(;,;)^
04-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

(04-18-2013, 08:16 AM)Themaagen Wrote: Well imo the despawning can actually work, if not overly used... I don't know about you, but i got the whole "Am i going insane? Am I seeing things?" The game did a lot of that (piano suddenly playing, girl screaming for help, footsteps etc.). And if a game can make me as a player become sceptically of what i see and hear in the game - that's awesome Big Grin

This is something else I have been wanting to bring up. I keep seeing comments about how it was de-immersive, and perhaps it was in the last third of the game, but Amnesia really sucked me into its atmosphere and setting, I never even thought about it like this. True, I did wonder where the grunt in the Storage wondered off to, seeing as it was a dead end (or they somehow are able to use doors when calm and not during an intense chase, as there is a door there too). However, when I thought it had simply vanished, I became more afraid, because I simply knew too little about them at that point - Perhaps they were harmful ghosts that could disappear and reappear at will. I never felt safe, even if I later realized that monsters would despawn, because I would never know when they would spawn again, so it felt quite immersive and realistic to me, still.

And yeah, it did make me question my own sanity, too, and it really toyed with my mind, so details like "where did it actually go" never really got to me in a de-immersive way, and "music stopped playing" never gave me much sense of security for the majority of the game, because I still would assume it was lurking around somewhere and potentially coming back soon. ^^

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Find