Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
3dge Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(03-12-2013, 03:05 PM)martinnord Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 02:32 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: 14 levels? I hope they made some more. And I hope that they're longer than in TDD.
Hm... I can see why you'd want to get as much playtime as possible, but on the other hand I never quite undestood this whole judging a game by its length thing. If the story arc requires a playtime of exactly 6 hours, padding the game with three more levels wouldn't make it any better - in fact it might even "water the story down", if you know what I mean.

I, personally, think a (linear) game should have exactly the length it needs, not more, not less. If the story can be told in three hours, make it three hours long and adjust the price accordingly. If it has a ton of characters and plot twists or just needs more time to properly establish the setting, or give a sense that a lot of time has passed, make it longer. In the end, it's quality that counts, not quantity. Smile
Please dont forget people, that it has been mentioned before that the levels in AAMFP will be larger then the levels we saw in TDD.
Still this does not necesarily mean more lengh since it also depends on how well those big environments are put to use, I mean TDD only had its lengh because of well done and scary it was not the size of its small levels.

They are also stretching the engine to new levels including larger maps and details. I am thinking this game will be exactly long enough and preped with story, making the game just long enough to hold the replay value.

I don't got any answers. I wanna be with Marlene... But I gotta fight. 'Cause if I don't, the planet's gonna die... So I'm gonna keep fightin'!

- Barret
03-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-12-2013, 02:32 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: In the end, it's quality that counts, not quantity. Smile
So, it's okay to release a custom story with one level, but that level have a high quality? Okay.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

(03-12-2013, 03:40 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 02:32 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: In the end, it's quality that counts, not quantity. Smile
So, it's okay to release a custom story with one level, but that level have a high quality? Okay.

This isn't really analogous.

But I agree with quality over quantity. I'd rather pay for a 3-6 hour game that's well paced than a 10-20 hour game that has some levels that just drag on.

It's why I prefer Half-Life 2: Episode 2 over Half-Life 2 itself.
03-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:So, it's okay to release a custom story with one level, but that level have a high quality? Okay.
Why yes, I'd find it totally okay. Smile Why wouldn't it be? If you give me a custom story that manages to set up an interesting situation and comes to some awesome climax within 15 minutes by only using one location, I'd actually be much more impressed than I would be by some drawn-out story that drags slowly over 10 boring maps.

For example, someone here once had the neat idea of a custom story that takes place entirely on a sail ship - that would have only been one level. I could also imagine someone making an interesting custom story in the style of those "escape the room" games... just one awesome room with a ton of puzzles in it. Why not? Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

How many levels did TDD have? I was too busy crapping myself to keep count.
03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(03-12-2013, 06:03 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote: How many levels did TDD have? I was too busy crapping myself to keep count.

31 small levels. I think it's better to have large levels so you don't have to stare at loading screen so often.
03-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: 31 small levels.
So many?! I could've sworn it was only, like 18 maybe. But I think I'm merging areas in my memory that were actually broken up into many smaller maps... come to think of it, it kinda depends on what one considers to be a level. For example, wine cellar, laboratory, the connecting hall and archives are pretty much one "level", because they are a connected hub of sorts that serves the purpose of eventually opening the next section. Same thing goes for back hall, guest room, study, storage and machine room as well as for several other "hub" areas. You could just remove the map doors in those hubs and have one big area instead - which I hope they'll do in AAMFP!
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

(03-12-2013, 06:03 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote: How many levels did TDD have? I was too busy crapping myself to keep count.

33 levels, that is .map files.

Also, I don't judge a game by it's length at all, but really, there's been so much delay that I would expect the game to be reasonably long, preferably the same length as TDD or longer. I love the Amnesia experience and atmosphere, the longer it lasts, the more I enjoy it. And well, hopefully there are custom stories!

03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Find
Dr. Swinestein Offline

[Image: Slaughter_House_Delight_by_painstudios.jpg]

[Image: c3476e7dfd6b31afe0d617fcad453daf-d1j67r7.jpg]

[Image: mutant_piggy_by_d4rkharlequin-d2r0ye9.jpg]

And the worst of all horror-pigs:

;-)

[Image: Guinea_saurus_rex.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM by Dr. Swinestein.)
03-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Find
INDUSTRIALIST Offline

hi all, the my fan art for aamfp

[Image: devil_embryos_by_alex_moshan-d5x57sb.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM by INDUSTRIALIST.)
03-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Find