Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Lovecraft Maps?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: Lovecraft Maps?

(05-16-2012, 04:38 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: For Innsmouth, find a 19th-20th century (1800s-1900s) map of Newburyport, Massachusetts, but make it "more twisted".

Edit:

Goatswood wasn't created by Lovecraft, but by Ramsey Campbell. It is probably the most detailed mythos setting outside of Lovecraft Country itself.

The River Severn is an actual river in Wales and western England. Campbell's stories mention various real-world locales, including the Cotswold Hills, Berkeley, and the A38 road. These references place "Campbell Country" in the southern part of Gloucestershire, roughly between the cities of Gloucester and Bristol. This area is more correctly referred to as the Vale of Berkeley or the Severn Estuary; the real-world Severn Valley refers to an area around fifty miles (80 km) further north.

Note that I'm just quoting the Wikipedia article for Goatswood:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Val..._Mythos%29
Wow, thank you much for the info! I didn't realize Campbell used various real-world locations. That's cool!. This should help in me developing Goatswood for my story.
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Huh, I live in Bristol. That explains a lot about the locals, y'know Smile
05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-16-2012, 11:56 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Huh, I live in Bristol. That explains a lot about the locals, y'know Smile
That's neat to hear that you live in Bristol. Cool
05-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Find
bagobonez Offline

Threads: 11

(05-15-2012, 06:35 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Innsmouth would always be a fun one Smile course theres already a Call of Cthulu game based on the shadow over innsmouth story (which, as a fan, i was a little miffed about). Its sposed to have some very good qualities if more than its fair share of technical issues to compensate for that good
I played it. That game is a tale of two halves. The first half is really excellent and captures the Lovecraft atmosphere well. The second half is almost as if an entirely different developer finished the game, and that's where alot of the technical issues come in and it becomes much more action oriented.
05-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(05-19-2012, 04:56 AM)bagobonez Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 06:35 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Innsmouth would always be a fun one Smile course theres already a Call of Cthulu game based on the shadow over innsmouth story (which, as a fan, i was a little miffed about). Its sposed to have some very good qualities if more than its fair share of technical issues to compensate for that good
I played it. That game is a tale of two halves. The first half is really excellent and captures the Lovecraft atmosphere well. The second half is almost as if an entirely different developer finished the game, and that's where alot of the technical issues come in and it becomes much more action oriented.
I wonder why the second half wasn't Lovecraftian?
05-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(05-26-2012, 10:35 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I wonder why the second half wasn't Lovecraftian?
It is 'lovecratian' its just not strictly based on one of his stories, not in the same way the first half is. As I understand it, you actually go to a place that is only alluded to at the end of Shadow Over Innsmouth
05-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Find
bagobonez Offline

Threads: 11

(05-27-2012, 02:50 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 10:35 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I wonder why the second half wasn't Lovecraftian?
It is 'lovecratian' its just not strictly based on one of his stories, not in the same way the first half is. As I understand it, you actually go to a place that is only alluded to at the end of Shadow Over Innsmouth
Correct. There's also a big level where you're on a ship and you have to battle the fish creatures. It was horrible.
05-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-27-2012, 02:50 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
You mean the Marsh refinery? Or Devil's Reef?
05-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Find
Eliphas Offline

Threads: 1

I think it would be interesting to form a team of fanatics of the myth from the perspective of achieving a story consistent with the themes of the great master of fantasy literature. For my part, although I do not know to use the level editor, I do a bit of 3D and I would be happy to participate in such a project. Play a story close to Lovecraftians scenarios would be a real pleasure ! As we said in France : "On est jamais mieux servi que par soi-même."
(By the way, here is an exemple on a realisation that i've made in an hour and a half, or something like that :
http://www.noelshack.com/2012-21-1338130...lhouse.png )
05-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-27-2012, 04:02 PM)Eliphas Wrote: I think it would be interesting to form a team of fanatics of the myth from the perspective of achieving a story consistent with the themes of the great master of fantasy literature. For my part, although I do not know to use the level editor, I do a bit of 3D and I would be happy to participate in such a project. Play a story close to Lovecraftians scenarios would be a real pleasure ! As we said in France : "On est jamais mieux servi que par soi-même."
(By the way, here is an exemple on a realisation that i've made in an hour and a half, or something like that :
http://www.noelshack.com/2012-21-1338130...lhouse.png )
"It is never 'mieux' which serves to 'soi-même'"? I don't speak French lol.

Yeah it would be cool. Contrary to what ZyLogicX said a direct game adaptation of Shadow Over Innsmouth would probably work incredibly well (because the first part of Call of Cthulhu up until the jailbreak is basically Shadow Over Innsmouth and that is by far the most impressive part of the game. The hotel escape especially was so well done, quite similar to the one in the actual story. Too bad though that the engine hasn't proven itself to be effective with outdoor areas (especially daytime?) and "friendly" (or non-monster) NPCs though I guess nobody has tried it. If you ever form such a team then I could probably do some level design, concept art and music. I've never tried the HPL2 level editor but I am/was quite comfortable with the Valve Hammer Editor and at the moment am learning how to use the Dromed editor (for Thief 1 and 2).
05-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Find